3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Giving Thanks  (Read 1034 times)

Offline MWhitehair

• Trad Bowhunter
Giving Thanks
« on: April 14, 2007, 05:39:00 PM »
Im sure Im not the only one here who says a prayer of thanks after a "successful" hunt. Out of curiosity, what exactly are you thankful for after a kill?

Take Care Gang-
Matt Whitehair
"'Traditional Archer' is not a term to be taken lightly. It demands respect for ethics, high standards, and an overall, instinctive love for the sport."
-Jim Chinn

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Giving Thanks
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 05:50:00 PM »
Thankful for a well placed shot, a quick clean kill."I am sorry to kill you my brother/sister I do honor to your courage your speed   and your strength".AND Thankful for some backstraps!

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 06:25:00 PM »
I`m sure that most of them are along the same lines. Like Bentpole said, a quick kill, is the main theme. I will add, I usually say a prayer
when I begin to walk away from my vehicle or camp,
at the beginning of a hunt.

Its interesting to note that my two sons have tagged along since they were very small. I have noticed them do it without prompting from me.

Good thread.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 06:44:00 PM »
I give thanks for the success. I'm pleased if my skill was good enough so the animal doesn't suffer. Killing is a serious thing that just happens to be part of bowhunting. I always remember that.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 07:39:00 PM »
It is gratitude for being included in the grand Circle of Creation. I feel accepted, and gifted with something pricless, the life of one of the Maker's creatures. It will feed my body and my heart, in ways that are difficult to pin down and put into print.

For the moment, though, I am something that belongs, I have a place in this Mystery. What words can you give the Creator that would adequately express this?

Killdeer~Deeds, not words.
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 07:48:00 PM »
well said Killy! i give give thanks before i enter the woods, go for a hike or anything related to the beauty of the great outdoors. each day i spend in the great Adirondacks is a success weather itis taking game or taking pictures.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 08:01:00 PM »
I find myself giving thanks before , during and after a hunt whether successful or not . I find hunting allows me quiet time to apprerciate and enjoy all that the Lord has made . I believe that everything has been created for a purpose and the diveristy of animals and terrain around the world is here for us to enjoy and experience , not abuse , I feel we would be cheating ourselves by not availing ourselves of all of God's gifts . I feel sorry for all those who don't get out and really look at thimgs , who spend their lives in trivial pursuits , too busy doing nothing . My thoughts , Fred
Greyfox54

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 08:04:00 PM »
I'm not into mystisism (sp). Animals are not my brothers or sisters. After a kill, I thank GOD for allowing me to have the ability to make the kill. Animals were meant for food, work and companionship. Don't fall into New Age mystisism and thank something that doesn't have a soul
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 08:38:00 PM »
Mysticism is the correct spelling.
I'm too old to know much about New Age.

Killdeer  :wavey:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 08:49:00 PM »
I thank God for the great outdoors and for allowing me to enjoy another experience in the nearest thing to heaven that we have here on earth. I thank Him for the animals life and the food that it will provide. If I am with my father or other good friends, then I also thank him for the time spent with special people and for the memories that we all will have.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 12:13:00 AM »
Killy said....I'm too old to know much about New Age..

You and me both, gurl   :biglaugh:      :biglaugh:  

Don't mean to put a damper on the thread,but lately I have seen alot of people putting the game animals on the same level as people. To much Disney I guess
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2007, 02:32:00 AM »
Nighthawk,
         you and I are two different animals, i'll tell ya that. tell a native animals do not have a soul and your in for a looooong ride.  i myself have been taught valuable lessons from my brothers & sisters of the forest and thats just plain honesty.   to many people have been taught to not believe in things that are thought of as unreal rather than to experience things with an open mind. i have witnessed many things that one would not believe but i know as true and thats all that counts.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2007, 05:55:00 AM »
Hunting is one of my favorite times for prayer and reflection. It is an escape from the everyday world into a time of freedom from deadlines and worry. It is a gift, a gift of joy, of peace, of solitude that I thank the Lord for the entire time I'm out there. I am successful on every hunt whether I get something or not is not so important. He will give me the opportunity if He wishes. Appreciation is paramount. After a kill I am thankful for having been given the opportunity at that animal and I feel a responsibility to not let the meat go to waste. What a wonderful thing to enjoy creation in such a way as bowhunting! Oh, and I ask for some strength for the long drag   :thumbsup:   Cheers, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2007, 08:07:00 AM »
All creatures have the breath of life, which comes from God. The animals we kill fall within His sight. I thank God for the opportunity and the animal taken. And treat the animal respectfully.
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2007, 08:22:00 AM »
I say a prayer before the hunt not to be successful but to give thanks for being allowed to be part of the circle. And every hunt is successful whether I kill or not. If you understand that's great if not I would never be able to make you understand.

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2007, 09:25:00 AM »
I praise and thank God. because like I say in my signature, I believe all praise is God's.

Nighthawk, I humbly and respectfully disagree with your point that animals do not have a soul. I know in my heart they do. Yes they are put here to serve us and feed us. But that does not mean they do not deserve our respect. To the contrary our respect is required for all these creatures we hunt are a gift from God. In some ways yes they are my brothers and sisters, but that does not mean that they are my equal, nor are they lesser or greater than I. They are different yet still a gift from God.

To answer the original question, I give thanks to my Lord. Respecting and having reverence for the animal I have just taken life from is part of my thanks to God.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2007, 01:43:00 PM »
When I kill a deer, I thank the animal for giving it's life to feed my family. This will be my first year hunting with trad. gear, I've hunted with compounds for years. Last year, I had a big doe come in, but not give me a shot. I wanted her SOOO bad, and I know my shooting ability. I took a deep breath and shot her in the head. Yes, a clean kill, but I wasn't happy after I did it. I felt I had disrespected her, to the point of not allowing pictures. My friends didn't understand. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I WILL be thankfull for having the courage to give the animals the respect they deserve.
Bret M. FullER

Offline benderofwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2007, 03:39:00 PM »
I give God thanks for life and death that in turn gives back life to me and my family;   :pray:
Hunt hard waste no meat

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2007, 04:18:00 PM »
I wasn't going to post on this one, but I'll just say that what I do and believe is best expressed by what Deadsmple posted.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2007, 04:52:00 PM »
Brother Ken,

"Do not try to understand them.....and do not try to make them understand you.....

For they are a breed apart,and make no sense."

Chingashkook....."The Last Of The Mohicans"
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©