3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Joan Leonard Memorial Bunny Hunt 2010(We Raised $6000) ( My Final THANKYOU!!!!)  (Read 29948 times)

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Friday's warm up started out pretty good we bumped a bunny up the hill past Big Ed and Sonny picked up the trail bringing it back by Ed again without a shot presenting itself either time.After the 2nd loop the bunny headed out behind us so I went after the dog.Seemed odd that he wasn,t coming since I do have a shock collar with a warning tone and as it turned out the bunny had run thru the land owners back yard who thought that Sonny musta got out of an invisible fence yard so they grabbed him locking him in the garage     :scared:        :scared:    poetic justice I guess      :biglaugh:  

That event Friday is kinda what led to my kill on Sat in an odd way...
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
We started out walking along the hedgerow. This is where Jeremy got our first catch and release bunny last year.
We broke some brush, but didnt see a lot of bunnies. Shawn asked Curt and I to set the standers on the far end of the island of trees, with Curt going the long way around.

After the standers were set, I got really nervous. I couldnt see the next guy from Curt's side and I was concerned about the break in the wall of orange. No need to worry at all, for within a few minutes Curt was there. We were all set, a good thing too because I could hear brush breaking, beagles singing and the call of "Bunny!!" out in front of me.

Now for those of you that have done this hunt, this time, these moments that you wait are filled with a nervousness. Anticipation of bunnies and shot angles usually flood my mind. That wasnt the case with this, the first push.

Instead, I found myself thinking back to times I shared with my Dad, and all he taught me. There I was  30 feet away from the other standers, and I was completely alone with my dad. I found myself remembering his vague but helpful teachings in regards to the recurve I began my hunting career with. "Pick a spot." he would whisper. He had this habit of keeping his hand on my upper back. I dont know why, but knowing what I know now, maybe he knew something about back tension. Perhaps it was his way of calming me for the shot...

I digress. So there I was, alone, but with bunny hunters. Alone, but there with dad-so vividly. I heard that a bunny was down, and I smiled. I thought I heard Swampbuck got it, and let out a whoop. After all he and Sonny have done, it made me glad.

Suddenly Bill Langer yelled "Bunny!! Out front! Coming to you Jamie!" and he let an arrow loose. I caught movement, and began tracking the bunny from right to left. I didnt panic like usual, just waited for an opening. The rabbit stopped, and he was about 15 yards out, right in front of me. I had a small opening that was filled by his head and neck. I began to draw, and something magical happened. Something brushed across my back. I would swear I heard a whispered "Pick a spot." I burned a hole right below the bunny's eye...

Next thing I knew, my arrow hit the rabbit, a bit low in the neck but the second bunny was secured. I sat there in a state of awe.

A lot of emotions hit. Did I imagine that? Was there something in my mind that had? Did a fellow hunter remind me to pick a spot? Was it a branch I felt on my back? My mind was awash with a million thoughts and questions as I stared in disbelief at the bunny I just shot.

There was a noise in my head, like water rushing, or wind blowing. Then I began to hear the cheers of those next to me. Curt offered to get the bunny, as he had a straight shot through little brush. Eventually I asked him to get it for me, as I did not want to take the chance of it getting away. He did, without hesitation, and later informed me it wasnt really needed. Thanks again Curt.

Later on, after the push was complete there were pictures, and interviews. It was nice to have something to smile about and share with friends.

I sit hear typing this, and I still dont know what actually happened. It was a special moment. Shared with special friends. One that I will cherish and remember for the rest of my days.

I learned later on in the day that the shot was recorded from two angles. Im anxious to see it, and compare it to what happened in my mind's eye.

Either way, an amazing thing happened to me that morning. I realized that I still had my Dad, more so than I could remember during the hard years of Alzheimer's and being one of his caregivers. Memories came back that I had long forgotten. The proverbial flood gate was opened.

That bunny was for you Dad.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Speechless....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
Beautiful, bro...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
My Wife just caught me crying.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Very well written Jamie    :notworthy:    :notworthy:    that was awesome.

Since I'm at workI walked away a couple times so nobody would "catch" me
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Written from the heart Jamie... Simply Wonderful.

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
Very nice Jamie, Glad you were there bro. Glad to be there with you. I am very sure your Father is very proud. Big Ed
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline imskippy

• Trad Bowhunter
Tears and Chills...... What a feeling that must have been.
Zona Custom T/D #1
Zona Custom R/D L/B #1

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Wow.................
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
I've watched it twice Jamie and was moved-but that post gave me chills...your Dad was there-I am sure.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanks everyone. I was a bit timid about posting it as I remembered it, but figured I should.

I just want to clarify that I dont mean to sound like it was "paranormal" by any means. I think it was very vivid memories, and being in the emotional state I was in. I have always said when I pick up a stick bow, I walk with my father... Im not sure if I can explain what I mean by that. I guess that push, that time, was just an overwhelming flood of memories. Anyway...

After the island of trees, we were off to do the honey hole, a piece new to a lot of us. Once again, Shawn asked me to set the standers. On my end, not much was seen, except for a very upset ruffed grouse at about mach 2.

The rest of the day kinds of blurs on me. I hadnt been sleeping too well, and Im afraid I might have been delerious. The highlights were many, but most are stories for others to tell.

Like I have said, the highlights were numerous. I dont think I have ever felt so close to such a large group of people. Homer really choked me up at one point with a very sincere jesture. The talks and handshakes and hugs were all very tough, but very much needed and appreciated.

I will let some others relate some details from Saturday. Then I have more to add...after I find the words.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Jamie, Yes he was there! Nothing to say but OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I saved those pics of you and Swampbuck with your bunnies, Jamie. I am speechless, and teary-eyed. Dammit.

When I came upon that first pic of just you and your bunny, I saw the power of the day. Your dad   was  there with you, guiding and sharing your vision. I could see that in your eyes. Savor it, this gift, it's real.

Blessings on you and your family, you make THIS family richer for being among us.

Shawn, what a gift you have given to so many, for so many years! I want to thank you and your family for these years of service to St Jude, to The Hunt, and to many who never would have had the experience without you all. Many youngsters will grow up and remember, and show their children what joy can be found in snow and crisp winter air... and briars! I know that I will never forget, and will always cherish the memory of friends met and made, of generous hearts, the sound of bells and merry arrows filling the air.

There is magic all around us, and all it takes is for us to look for it. Thank you for The Hunt.

Killdeer   :wavey:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
:archer:  

And I have been thinking a bit about the arrow I used for that shot...the feathers got beat up going through that hole. I was going to fix it, but my heart is telling me to put it in the St. Jude's auction. I think Dad would have liked that.
                         -Jamie

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Ain't such a much, Jamie. I tear up every time I see a mirror!     :D  

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Tdog

• Trad Bowhunter
WOW..Jamie they are always with us. To guide us, We just need to listen..You did..That is so cool..I love when that stuff happen's.God bless.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I would like to comment hat 4 out of 5 of my lost arrows lost from the warm up were found and returned.  I was shooting Jamie's lucky arrow (that I lost) ion the warm up and was really thinking it was going to do the trick as I was on with it. I mean really on.  Then I broke the knock off and it had to be put away for a bit.

I believe our loved ones past are always with us we just usually never stop to notice.  Seems people are just to busy or selfish to see the cues. I admit sometimes I get caught up in the moment and forget to listen to my surroundings.  It isn't until I succumb to my environment that I usually see the signs.

Terry, I would love to see your bow fishing rig. You ever go at night for carp?  I used to bow fish all the time growing up. started with a tin can and string wrapped around it. I had the can taped to my bow.  I had to be careful not to point the bow downward as the string would fall off. LOL  It was a pleasure sharing a table with you Jen and Ron.

Jamie There were 80 people and only 3 rabbits taken. I don't think it's coincidence you were one. I couldn't be happier for you. Every time I read your posts I choke up. Don't think we are going a whole summer and not frog hunting.

Killie, we have snow now too so do feel so special   :biglaugh:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Charlie, my rig is a lot like the one that was won by the fellow on the end of our table. You can also take a look at it on the Winter Doldrums thread.  I really only bowfish at night. Only been a couple times in the daytime.

Jamie, well.. not much I can say!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©