3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Joan Leonard Memorial Bunny Hunt 2010(We Raised $6000) ( My Final THANKYOU!!!!)  (Read 29932 times)

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
I'll tell you that the kids enthusiam and smiles were contaugous to all of us. That is truely what it is all about. Hope we can all do something like this again.
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline ScottV_7

• Trad Bowhunter
Those tribute pics are impressive.  

Curt- Thanks for putting those pics of Ziggy up. He was exhausted but he LIVES to hunt.  And eat.

Tom- No problem!  I've been getting called either Steve or Chris my whole life for some reason!    :biglaugh:
JK Traditions Kanati 48#@28"  
Fedora 560 52" 44#@26"

"Skin that one pilgrim, and I'll bring ya another!"

Offline Tdog

• Trad Bowhunter
Jamie, The Filson ball cap rocks..Any history to it? The quiver is a keepsake forever..

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Guys, I have some more stories and some final thoughts I will be posting. I just want to say that the kids have made the hunt for me the last 2 years. The pic. of the 4 on the ridge is my favorite, just looking at it makes me smile. The kids actually follow hunt instructions and listen better than a lot of the adults!! I am proud of all of them!! I have seen people post, well we only killed 3 bunnies, well look at the other peoples hunt, they are lucky to see a few!! Everyone asks what happened? Where were all the bunnies, well they were right there. We needed snow, no ifs, ands, or buts!! If we had even an inch on the ground I have no doubt we would of killed 10 or 12 just the first day. I believe all things happen for a reason and this hunt gave all of us plenty of reasons to go out and give, take a kid hunting, think about our loved ones and to quote a lot of people "I am proud and feel priviledged to be part of such a great and wonderful group of loving and caring people"!! Quote me on that one!! OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline ScottV_7

• Trad Bowhunter
Where we goin' dad?

Bunnyslayers

Apparently an average Selkirk buckrub...

One wiped out but happy beagle

<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>
JK Traditions Kanati 48#@28"  
Fedora 560 52" 44#@26"

"Skin that one pilgrim, and I'll bring ya another!"

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
Well said Shawn. I have followed this hunt for several years and finally got to go this year and in all that time I have never got the feeling that this was about killing bunnies. It always seemed to be about all the other stuff that everyone talks about.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
This was my fist exposure to Brier back mountain. I saw 2 glimpses of rabbits at mach 10. I didn't mind that I didn't get a shot since they were headed right for Big Ed and the Kids.  I don't think they slowed down for them either.

Yes Shawn they were a great group of kids, always smiling and having a great time.

OK Shawn You asked for it!
 "I am proud and feel priviledged to be part of such a great and wonderful group of loving and caring people"!! Quote me on that one!! "

I second That!

The Pics are awesome. I have memories to last until I manage to forget.

Thank you everyone!!!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Peter Smith

• Trad Bowhunter
Shawn,

One of my greatest memories of this event will always be at Briar back Mountain, when we were pushing through the most wicked briar patch I have been in. I was between you and Jamie, your like a bulldozer in those things, I couldnt believe it. I got hung up for a few minutes when a big piece of briar went down into my boot so I had to lay on the ground under the bush and take my boot off, the pain was too much to try to go on without removeing it. When I got done taking the briar out of my boot you guys were 20 yards ahead yelling bunny! I ended up cutting myself out of the briars because there was just know where to go. That was awesome!

You aren't hunting bunnies if you aren't bleed'n!
I hope something materializes somewhere next year.
Pete
You get what you get.

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I was to the Shawns immediate left on Briar back Mt. I felt guilty watching you plough through all that thick stuff, so I found the thickest stuff to dive into myself!...what was I thinking!!...I tossed my bow when I reached with in 15 yrs of the sitters. I tossed my bow toward the field.  One of the kids ( don't know most of the names)crawled through the thick stuff to get it for me! I was impressed to say the least.

The kids definitely made the hunt.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Well Folks, That's Briarback Mountain for ya.....

She'll Break your Heart, and leave you BLEEDING!!!!!  :help:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline homer

• Trad Bowhunter
Guys- it has been a very busy week at work, sorry that I have not gotten to post anything sooner.  I finally got a chance to shave Wed after work, and when I did the razor brought up a few thorns imbedded from Briarback Mtn.. she still has me bleeding.  The only time I bleed when I shave and it would bring a smile to my face. lol

Jamie- the story was great! I agree with everything you said absolutely.

Curt- the pics were great and I am so glad that Pete brought his nephew Peter.. he is still talking about it today, and probably will be for weeks to come.

Shawn- hope you have the house back in order, hope Cindy is well, talk to  you soon. Thanks bro!

-Matt  :goldtooth:
Work is for people who don't know how to hunt.  People who don't know how to hunt, don't eat well.

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
With Mikey distracting the bunny that had just busted out the side of the pushers into the hedgerow I was lucky enuff to get a standing still shot with him looking the other way,just doesn,t get much easier than that.Their genrally hauling or if they do stop your so tangled up in briars there's no possible way of drawing anything but your own blood.
Thanks Mike I couldn't have done it without ya,I'd have been heading back to get Sonny if not for your call and then to keep his attention till I found his hide out   :notworthy:   ooooooohhhhhhhh yeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
Jamie, I just got to read your story. Very moving. Your father will always be with you.

Cyclic , I was behind you when you walked past that rabbit. When I saw him hunked down at 6 feet trying to hide behind a 3/4" post my first thought was this is going to be way too easy. Little did I know he would be out of site before I could hit full draw !!!!!

Tom, Did you empty that bottle for your wife yet ?
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline Peter Smith

• Trad Bowhunter
Bob,

Thanks for taking to my first JLMBH 4 years ago, its been a good run. Wonder if the Brockport conservations club would be a good place to hold one some day?

ALSO, Thankyou for all the support you gave me on the way home, it would have been a touph ride by myslef!

Im very excited for the coming year!

Next stop, North carolina on Thursday   :(  

Pete
You get what you get.

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Yea never know Pete,I was wondering bout that myself.

Bob,   :scared:      :scared:   LOL your kiding right.Summer time and alittle help will empty it

Time to blow the snow,you can sit down now Chuck  :banghead:
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm glad I was part of the legend that was Selkirk NY! Good times, good folks and great reason.

Offline Peter Smith

• Trad Bowhunter
Tom,

Let me know, Ill gladly pitch in, I cant speak for Bob, but his reputation speaks for itself!

Pete
You get what you get.

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Great stuff guys-keep it coming!

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
The final push of Rabbit Valley was interesting. Homer and I were up top, and within the first few minutes, we were left in the dust. We decided to gather a few more and try to do a second wave. It wasnt easy with 3 or 4 of us, but I did manage to get a shot at a bunny along the bottom hedgerow. I also saw how close Izzy's boy got. I still say that would have been a hit if it wasnt so thick.

Coming out of the valley, I learned the third bunny was taken. I will leave that story to the hunter...

We slugged back to the house. I know my legs were shot, and my body ached.
The food was ready though. The various wild game dishes, the bbq chicken, I took a lot of food. I never thought I would finish it all, but I did. I ate as quickly as I could because I could feel myself tightening up and getting sore-I didnt want to be stuck in a chair. LOL.

The raffle was awesome. David and I were drooling over almost everything. Frank's knife, quivers, bows....anything you can imagine, and it was probably there. Amazing generousity. So much in fact, that we actually had to combine some prizes to move it along, and it still was over three hours I believe.

When it came time for the final prize, Shawn made a speech. A lot of points stick out in my mind right now. I think I will let him do that part though.

Imagine the surprise when I won the very last item. I hadnt won a single thing through out the night, often joking about stirring the tickets up. Im glad that didnt happen though... I became the proud owner of the JLMBH bow and Mikey's pink suit. I had no idea what that would come to mean to me...
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Tdog

• Trad Bowhunter
Man I'm gonna miss this...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©