3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Joan Leonard Memorial Bunny Hunt 2010(We Raised $6000) ( My Final THANKYOU!!!!)  (Read 29917 times)

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Goodbyes........knowing that this was the last hunt made these goodbyes different.......most of the people at this hunt I see once a year, at the JLMBH.  I remember reading the thread of the first rabbit hunt that was held at Meathook's and thinking that would be neat.  I remember Shawn almost telling Curt he was going, just about forcing him into the woods again after he was shot, and then seeing the pictures and reading the stories after that small hunt.  The next year Shawn held the hunt, and I weaseled my way into attending and haven't missed one since.  The people I have met, my God, I am a richer man for it.  Shawn, Cindy, Jake and Joan Leonard, Allison, Nicole, Heather, you have a special clan there Shawn.  Be proud.  Curt, Cade, Fran, Mo, Joe Skip, Chuck, Larry, Greg, Tom, Damon, Jamie, Mikey, Ed, this year Tim, Keith, Chris, Aram, Ru, Terry, Jen, Tyler, Drew, Ken,  I know I'm forgetting someone, forgive me.  All good people, thank all of you for what you have done for this gathering.

Shawn, Cindy and family.  I don't know if I can put into words what you have done.  I am in awe each year as you open your house to what at least at one time are/were total strangers.  You don't blink an eye at the number of people that invade your home for a weekend each year.  Cindy, you are one of a kind, a good kind....(you have to be, even if you are a damn yankees fan!) Thank you for what you have done.

Shawn, be proud of what you have accomplished, thank you for allowing me to be a small part of it. I am proud to call you my friend.........I don't know what else to say.......thank you.

To all of you that have taken part at any time in this hunt, you know what has gone on in Selkirk for the last six years, it shows us all what can be accomplished by a small group of like minded people.  Be proud of being a part of that........

I hope to see you all at some point in the coming years, and if any of you are in NH or just passing through, please give me a shout.  We could at least sit down for a cup of coffee......

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline sleepyhollow

• Trad Bowhunter
Real sorry I missed it this year  :(  
but...  :thumbsup:     :thumbsup:    :clapper:    :clapper:  to everyone that has ever been a part of this hunt in the last 6-7 years

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm gonna try... "Try" that is not to repeat what others have said about the past years bunny hunts. We all agree many new friendships were made. That Shawn and his family are top notch. Thousands of dollars for St. Jude and lots of bunny action through the years was grand. This years hunt had a special meaning, a spiritual presence for most of us. To say the JLMBH made my life richer would be an under statement... Now What?...

What do I do with this void? Do I see all the great people I've met in Selkirk only once now at The Muzzy Shoot? Maybe... Maybe Not. In the past we would wait for an event to come around in order to be with "like minded people". Now I am motivated to make things happen. Gotta thank my buddy Shawn for the inspiration. God Bless You Shawn! You are a true leader of men. Be proud of your family and close friends that made The Bunny Hunt a reality!

It's been said when God closes one door another opens... Let's see where this takes us now. I'm ready for the ride. Are all of you feeling the same?

... mike ...   :notworthy:   ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Ready for the ride pal! Im making a point of making rounds to see different people Ive met at the Bunny Hunt this year and beyond.Not just Muzzy.See you all down the road.  :campfire:

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
This the first Time I have had power since friday and just catching up .I really dug that mohawk Shwan.You looked like Chuck Lidell,only with more heart.Glen

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
 It's been said when God closes one door another opens... Let's see where this takes us now. I'm ready for the ride. Are all of you feeling the same?  
I'm ready Mike   :thumbsup:
with the close of this chapter I'm really looking forward to sawmill, just to hang with some friends I met at Shawn's
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Mamba

• Trad Bowhunter
Same things been on my mind Mike.  You've also been on my mind Mike, the kids prizes you donated for the raffle where top notch.  The quiver my nephew won is absolutely gorgeous.  Not That everyone else's wherent.  Big Ed will be working on a custom youth bow he raffled off for the kids.  How cool is that???  The generosity and compassion showed at Shawns house will not only affect the adults there but hopefully allthe kids in attendance.  "Demonstrating" to them that this is the right way to act to one and other.  I hope besides the memories of the shots these kids remember how it feels when others are kind and generous, incorporating that into their own lives.   Stone knife has some good quotes,

Lead by example

Take your child out with you on the first day of season, share the whole experience.

Thanks Shawn and family for being such fantastic role models.  I know this thread will be closed soon so until we meet again
"Adios con Dios"
Pete  :clapper:
peter Osimanti

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
So, who took the Hill Country Bow home with them?
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
A guy named Mike, a right handed shooter that was just getting started in trad archery...

I wanted it BAD Kenny!!  It was beautiful! Thank you    :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Trab

• Trad Bowhunter
Hey mcgroundstalker.....

You are the one that I first connected with in TradGang who got me to attend your 3D hunt last spring, as well as my first JLMBH this year.....am I ever happy that you steered me toward this awesome group....

If you are correct and new doors will open, I will partake in as many future gatherings as I am able ......

Thanks a lot Mikey !!  Because of you I met Sean, Dancin Chuck, Ron W, Gregg, Jaime, Homer, Brian and his son, and of course Shawn oooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Leonard himself !!   And if I missed anyone whom I spoke with or met up in Selkirk, my apologies, but I'm still thawin out from the power outage which was only alleviated about 12 hours ago....... since being out on Thursday !!!!!!

Dreaming of more gatherings in the future,
   :campfire:    

Trab
“The virtue lies In the struggle, not the prize”
Richard Monckton Milnes

Mark Trabakino
[email protected]
Stormville, New York

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Yep, lots of friendships developed that will be nurtured through the years. I've got one fellow traveling to Indiana to chase deer with me this year and plan on Shawn and another going next year. Couple guys going bowfishing with me this year and we'll be putting Bill Langer's son on a big gator. Curt and Cade, you guys need to come up and shoot at some fish too. Big Ed, my son Tyler told me just yesterday that he really wants to shoots some stingrays with you. I've got the boat and a a really nice waterfront place to stay on Chincoteague, just let me know when to be there. I'm really hoping David takes me up on the offer to get the full NY license and comes on over and kills some deer with me. These are only a sampling of the hunts and friendships I hope to share with you fellow JLMB hunters.  Just goes to show what a caring person like Shawn can do to promote our sport and create friends!

Thanks Shawn!

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
well said guys!! i dont know if shawn ever could have imagined so many peoples lifes being changed from this hunt.... to me its something i look forward to 363 days a year!!

thanks bud!!

gaff
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Online DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
Well Done!!!  :clapper:
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Guys you humble me!! I will be back this evening for my final Thankyou!! I have worked tons of hours this week and just have not had the energy to write it or the heart!! Yesterday I received a text from Tom(Swampbuck)he had hunted with Sonny and saw nothing.It was almost dark and season would be over in a half an hour. I ran upstairs and grabbed the 20ga. and ran out the door. In 20 minutes I killed one and missed 2 others and saw another. The bunnies are there and will be in the future, and with that thought in mind, Cindy and I are looking to the future. All I will say is never say never, talk to you all tonight!! OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline mrgreenhead

• Trad Bowhunter
aww come on do i hear one more year

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
OOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
... Wonder what's going on behind that Mowhawk of his? ...... ???????

... mike ...  :D  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
One can only wonder!!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Well here it is, my final Thankyou!! Please do not post after this, we can start another thread because I am sure you guys will want too!! I will bring this TTT for the next day or two!! I will probably ramble a bit and will definitely get emotional but here we go. I started this whole thing as the Southern NY Bunny Hunt. I had attended a bunny hunt in western NY, hosted by Meathook. I, as mentioned persuaded Curt(Guru)to come along. We had a blast and on the way home, I said that I could put on a hunt and we would see a lot more bunnies and maybe kill one or two, over the years we actually killed 62 bunnies!!! I approached my Mom and Dad about using their house for hosting this hunt. My Mom agreed as I knew Dad would want it, so it was up to her. I believe we had 17 or 19 folks that first year. I had told everyone to bring a prize or two for the fun shoot in the yard, well folks showed up with some mighty nice stuff. We decided it was too nice a stuff to give away, so we held what was to be our first raffle. It was my Moms idea to donate to the kids at St. Judes! I won't go into a lot of detail but we had a blast. I decided that the next year we would hold a 2 day hunt, again I asked Mom permission and she agreed. She bitched about the hunt the whole time leading up to it, but when the day arrived she loved it, she loved all the guys and Molinda(Mo, the first lady of the JLMBH!)She loved having everyone eat and some sleep overnight at the house, she than told me that I should make this an annual event. Well before I could even begin to plan the next one, my Mom passed! I spoke to my Dad and he agreed the hunt must go on, this is when I decided to dedicate the hunt in my Moms memory, so the Joan Leonard Memorial Bunny Hunt was now in full swing. Here I have to relate a story that will touch my heart forever and involves a man that I have grown to love and respect beyond belief!! This is a letter that accompanied what turned out to be a most unforgettable gift. "A Promise Kept" Shawn, Last year when I brought up the folding knife I made for the St. Judes raffle, your Mom said you liked it a lot and asked if I would make you one like it. She said she wanted to pay me for it. From the first time your Mom & I spoke, I was taken by her charm, generosity and gentleness. I promised her that I'd make you one for nothing, and she could give it to you herself at next years hunt. Well none of us knew what The Lord had planned for Mom between then and now: So, here's the knife, from your Mom, done by me for you as promised. In her place, please accept it from me with every good wish and feeling that was put into it for you from the both of us.->>>-------> Well that was  not easy and I want to Thank the man who has made the biggest memory of all the hunt for me, Larry Raynes!! I love ya brother!!! I have a ton of other great memories but to list them all would take a week or more. What started out as a whim has turned into a gathering of great folks and of good times and good food. We have had special guests, Kathy(Killdeer) and Doug Campbell who traveled a long way to hunt with this bunch of hardcore bunny hunters. We have people from over 14 different states attend as well. We have had a catch and release bunny(Jeremy)and our hunt filmed by a great guy and filmmaker Bill Langer. I never expected this whole thing to become so big and as has been said, to touch so many peoples lives. Cindy and I sit and read all the posts and we cry almost everytime you guys praise us, we really appreciate it. It does make us feel good, yet we feel we don't deserve all of it, we kind of expect it of ourselves and to be honest we expect it of all of you!! We really could not do this without everyones help, from the food,the placing of watchers on pushes, everything is a group effort and we appreciate all you folks have done along the way!! Curt,David,Tom,Jamie,Damon and Mikey, you guys know what ya mean to me, I love ya all like brothers. Also I cannot forget Sonny, Ben, Elma and Ziggy, all great beagles who hunted with us!! Also, Scott for his huge donations this year!! I know there is a lot more people to Thank but I am struggling! This is killing me, I hated to end all of this for all of you but I really hate ending it for Cindy and I, you guys have become part of us and we will never forget all of you!! I know I have my moments of frustration and do my share of bitching but please remember I only did that to try and make the hunt better for everyone!! I see you guys have read my prior post, so here we go. Cindy and I and the girls have discussed this and have decided that there will be one more huge gathering at the Leonard house for a real send-off of the Joan Leonard Memorial Bunny Hunt, so on the 3rd. weekend in Feb. 2013(10th. anniversary of the 1st. hunt)we will give this thing the send-off it deserves!! If we have 10 or 200 people we want to say Thankyou to all who have attended and give everyone a chance to do something special for the kids of St. Judes!!! It will be held right here at the house as it was meant to be, it is already in the planning!!! Remember that date and mark it down as this one will truly make bunny hunting history!!! Now to say my final Thankyous!! I want to Thank all the sponsors and people who have sent us prizes for our raffle year after year, I cannot name them all but you know who you are!! Hothap(Glynn Billingsly) gets a special Thankyou, as he sent stuff to the first hunt and everyone since, no one else has accomplished that great feat, Thankyou my friend!! Next to all who have attended over the years, without you all this would not have been possible! Thankyou!! Now to my family, ecsp. Cindy and my girls, you guys have supported me in everything I have chosen to do. It takes a good women(Cindy) to put up with everything I have put you through. You work harder than anyone to make this hunt the success it has become, even harder than me, without you I would be lost!! I LOVE YA MORE THAN LIFE ITSELF!! To Nicole, Allison and Heather, you make me so proud!! You put all things aside to come and help make this thing happen and even your men over the years have chipped in along the way. I Thankyou and Love You more than anything!! Last but not least I want to Thank my Mom and Dad, Dad has always been here for me and now we are here for him!! I LOVE YA DAD!! Mom, what can I say, without her this thing would of never got off the ground!! She never could say no to me, I was the baby and she always wanted the best for me! This is to her from me: Mom, I miss you every day, I miss stopping by for lunch and coming in after hunting all day and you feeding me before I head home!! I know you are watching from somewhere and I hope that I have done you proud, my girls have turned out great and Cindy is a lot like you. I miss you so much it hurts but your spirit will live forever in all the peoples lives you touched, you have done us all proud and we all love you!! This one is for you  ->>>----------> OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Shawn
Shawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©