3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who is carrying a hawk/tomahawk while hunting or scouting?  (Read 1419 times)

Offline faustus

• Trad Bowhunter
Who is carrying a hawk/tomahawk while hunting or scouting?
« on: January 01, 2010, 11:08:00 AM »
I was wondering if any of you carry or use a hawk/tomahawk (or small hatchet) while hunting?

I just discovered how efficient a hawk can be for chopping (building ground blinds or making a fire). And most hawks do not weight very much and can easily be carried.

What hawk/hatchet do you use? Manufacturer? Model?
What is your experience?
------------
faustus

Offline doug g

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who is carrying a hawk/tomahawk while hunting or scouting?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 11:20:00 AM »
I often carry one with me as well as a pair of pruning scissors. I have a Marble Hatchet and love it.
TGMM

Offline Jmgcurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 11:22:00 AM »
I do not carry/use either one; however, as I am getting older and starting to hunt terra firma more the ground blind building idea appeals to me. Thanks for the idea.
Life is not about surviving the storm, but learning to dance in the rain!
Blessed is the Nation whose God is the LORD,... Psalm 33:12

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 11:57:00 AM »
I've gotta couple made by Craig Barr.  Found him on *Bay. I got one made from Damascus, and one plain.  He makes one with a blade and hammer ends, and one with a blade and point end.  I went with the hammer ends on both.
  They throw great, and are plenty hard. They work for clearing the brush, driving pegs, and whatever. Not to mention how good looking they are.  Check him out, Deer Mountain Forge Damascus.  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline Buffalo Two Fletch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 12:09:00 PM »
Have several and often carry one while hunting. Timberline makes a small "Bush Pilot" hatchet that is fantastic. Also have a couple of small older Marbles Safety axes, a Marbles Double Bit Hatchet, a small Ft Meigs style belt axe, and a couple of "Hawks". Can't replace a full size axe but if kept razor sharp it amazing what can be done with a small "belt axe/hatchet. I have made leather belt sheaths for all and have found them quite handy to carry.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 12:52:00 PM »
I very often carry either a hawk (Shrew) or a Fiskars hatchet.  Nothing about the Fiskars is trad, but it is light and works !

The hawk also doubles as a skwerl "bonker" if I am using nutters.
ChuckC

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 01:41:00 PM »
I carried a small hatchet for years, then a ESTWING hatchet, then my Ft.Miegs. I love em for dressing game and working on blinds. I hunt mostly the same spots any more and have quit packing on with me a few years ago. I will be putting together a new "Hunting belt" for next season and will resume my hatchet use. I thought santa was gonna give me a new shrew hawk but the elfs didn't make enough(or I was naughty,NAH!) Lets have a look at your choppers!
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 02:00:00 PM »
I carry one on every hunt.  Look at my screen name and you will see who manufacturers them.  I produce and sell a lot of hawks out of my forge.  I love them.  Splitting a breast bone, or pelvis is really easy, even on large animals like elk. With a hammer poll hawk pounding in stakes or making a blind is light work.  I wouldn't be caught in the woods without one.  I consider them to be as important as my knife.

I want to add here that I hike long distances and hunt far from my vehicle.  I often end up camped next to a kill overnight, so the hawk is an important survival tool, and definately makes my life a lot easier when I have to put up a quick shelter or ground blind, gather firewood, clean an animal, etc...
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline tenbrook

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ragnarok Forge:
I carry one on every hunt.  Look at my screen name and you will see who manufacturers them.  I produce and sell a lot of hawks out of my forge.  I love them.  Splitting a breast bone, or pelvis is really easy, even on large animals like elk. With a hammer poll hawk pounding in stakes or making a blind is light work.  I wouldn't be caught in the woods without one.  I consider them to be as important as my knife.

I want to add here that I hike long distances and hunt far from my vehicle.  I often end up camped next to a kill overnight, so the hawk is an important survival tool, and definately makes my life a lot easier when I have to put up a quick shelter or ground blind, gather firewood, clean an animal, etc...
Do you have a website?

Offline Gerardo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 02:36:00 PM »
I use the Estwing campers, its great because of the opposite hammer head , but I am willing to give Ragnorok forge a look?
Gerardo Rodriguez

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 02:47:00 PM »
I have a Gransfors Hunters Axe. VERY nict tool for blinds and cleaning game or .......
Would love to find a better way to carry. Any ideas? Photos?
Saw a guy make a Posssibles bag with a spot for his axe on the back. Looked great and functional.
Tim
DEATHMASTER

Offline mater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 03:15:00 PM »
I made a possidles bag for a hawk I bought at crazycrows. Ill try to get a pic on here later.  Mark

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 03:28:00 PM »
I carry a mouse hawk. Its about 1/2 the size of a reg. hawk. comes in real handy when ground hunting.
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2010, 03:31:00 PM »
great idea...usually have one along when camping, and always carried one trapping... never really thought to haul a small one on longer hunts--->i've always carried a folding saw in my pack, but a 'hawk seems better, especially since the idea of all the little shavings (after trimming with a toothed sawblade)always leaves me thinking about the concentration of the (new/unusual)odor in the area...Thanks!
Your Chicken from McDonald's, Tyson Foods, or Perdue Farms spent most of it's life stuffed in a cage with three or four others, occupying a space about the size of a book page...None for me, thanks...

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
I dont carry a hawk but I do carry a steadfast knife or my ka-bar they are both thick and heavy and can chop down a a 4-5" tree.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »
I carry one, a light hawk that Ron LaClair sells. I use it a lot, in treestands, and putting together ground blinds.

Offline mater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2010, 06:49:00 PM »
I got a pic of my hawk and sheath-bag.  Mark      [email protected]

Offline mater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2010, 06:50:00 PM »
that didnt work, Ill be back.

Offline mater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2010, 06:55:00 PM »

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
Gerardo,

Keep your eyes out on the knifemakers forum.  I will post some of my work there for you to look at in the next day or two.

Clay
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©