3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: where are we headed?  (Read 1681 times)

Offline recurve27128

• Trad Bowhunter
where are we headed?
« on: January 01, 2010, 01:14:00 PM »
became aware that as of now, cell phone technology is such that I can be hunting and with my cell phone can post immediate details (through text)live through a hunting forum like ours. Minute by minute details can immediately be viewed by the masses. Wonder what everyones thoughts are and if they are as taken back as I am.Dave
dave brown

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: where are we headed?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 01:33:00 PM »
It's a shame that so many people view hunting as if it were a Military campaign. I guess it's different for each individual, but being an old fart, it would never occur to me to film a hunt, or report it like it was "News at 11"
Hunting-TO ME-is a very personal thing. Bumps up against my core beliefs.
Something to hold near and dear.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline Jmgcurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 01:40:00 PM »
Wonderfully worded Mr. Nail!!!!!!!!!!!!  :thumbsup:  

Could not agree with you more.
Life is not about surviving the storm, but learning to dance in the rain!
Blessed is the Nation whose God is the LORD,... Psalm 33:12

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »
I refuse to text unless my kids or wife have to get ahold of me in an emergency. I even told them if they texted me for no reason again, I would turn it off.  My 13 year old daughter just about died on the spot and now polices her sister and mom, so no texting for me!

I guess I am a technology dinosaur and won't be worrying about posting my hunts minute by minute.  Seems a bit silly to me, while technoman is typing on his phone, the biggest buck of his life walks in and out and he is not ready to make the kill.  Good news here is that the monster buck will be around for a hunter who is ready to take.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »
With these "I" Phones soon there will be live streaming video from the treestands...  I still never want any of my hunting filmed even for my own private use.

I was in Alberta last year and watched a guy worry more about getting his treepod adjusted for proper filming than making sure he could hit his bear with proper shot placement.  Yeah he wounded and did not recover three bears.
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline flyfish1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »
I agree with Mr.Nail above. I dont mind sharing stories and photos at all. However some of my experiences in the woods are almost sacred to me and to video and show everyone is not in me. I feel as if some experiences are for me and me alone with God in his creation. I know a guy who now says " whats the sense of hunting if you dont tape it". SAD in my opinion. I deserve nothing nature gives me but when I am out there it is my experience to take in. There are good things that can come from videoing, like education etc.. I do think Primal Dreams is far and above anything out there and am thankful those guys did it.
Ron A        

"When the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice,for we are hunters and we want our freedom"
         ~Sitting Bull

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 02:18:00 PM »
I carry a cell when hunting if we have coverage.  It's turned off until after dark,  then we check in and see what needs to happen and where everyone is for pickup.

No texting during the hunt.
Heck I don't know how to text or tweet or do any of that stuff.  LOL

I hate it when the phone is smarter then I am.

LOL

As far as video, I think videoing a hunt is fine.  Video production of a hunt is sleezy.  How many of you send your cameraman out front to take a pic of you crawling up on an elk?

Just stupid stuff.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 02:28:00 PM »
The other forum I belong to guy post from their stands all the time through texting.Kind of neat to hear a live update while someone is on a hunt in some other place.

I fail to see what is wrong with it.If there's service and I'm hunting with others I use texting instead of a two way radio.No sense telling everyone where the action is.Incoming message on a vibrating phone and typing instead of talking when it's convienient for me makes more sense to me.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 02:31:00 PM »
To each his own. If someone wants to take a laptop into the woods and set up a small video studio in his treestand, it doesn’t effect me and really isn’t any of my business.

I’ve never tried to videotape a hunt. I figure I have enough to worry about just shooting an animal without dinking around with a camcorder. That being said, it would be nice to have a DVD of my moose hunt. I’d like to be able to sit in front of the TV and watch the bull I shot come into the call, stiff-legged, strutting across the cutover, his rack swinging side to side. Those few minutes were one of my favorite memories as a bowhunter, and to watch it over and over again would be nice.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 02:43:00 PM »

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 02:43:00 PM »
Cell phones have their practical uses while hunting.  You never know when you're going to be in an emergency situation and it may save your life.  That being said, I have no problem with people videoing their own hunts.  Videoing your own hunts could be helpful with a marginal hit on an animal or learning where you made a mistake.  Live streaming on the other hand is a completely different thing.  It would only take one poorly hit animal on a live video stream and the anti's would have a hayday.

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 03:00:00 PM »
I take a still shot camera, but the phone stays in the truck.
Don't really care what someone else does as long as they don't molest my hunt.
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 03:14:00 PM »
I don't even own a cell phone.  So no texting or tweeting for me.  I don't want to be called while I am hunting.  As long as I stay on the ground I feel safe.  I sometimes take a digital camera with me and have some pretty nice pics of the woods.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2010, 03:21:00 PM »
I have had a few buddies text me at the end of each day as they are hunting when they draw a hard to get tag and the like.

It adds another level to it for those that care how others are doing.

I don't see how it or videoing a hunt is a bad thing.
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2010, 03:26:00 PM »
George said it perfectly..
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline sdpeb1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »
I just go my first cell phone while on vacation because I was meeting with so many people. So I finally get to the hunting part of my vacation with my brother and I'm on my stand and my cell goes off, it's my brother and he texting me!!! I couldn't believe it. And to make matters worse he tells me he's been texting all morning to a bunch of folks. Then on the 3hr drive back home he's texting while driving!!! After we got back we had finished dinner and I jumped all over him about his addiction to texting, his wife joined in to and he didn't stand a chance. I havn't used mine since I got back a month ago. -Steve

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »
The rest of the family have I phones. I requested texting be removed from my phone. It is too hard to text with the hand crank!  :bigsmyl:

Offline Johnny Reb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2010, 03:36:00 PM »
Cell phones are a ball and chain, we let our selves get to accesable, and the only reason I have one is because the outfit I drive for gave it to me, and when I'm not workin it aint either.

As far as filmin a hunt it actually sounds like fun, I like to hunt but I'm not one of these guy's that get tore up or get so serious about it that it takes the enjoyment out of huntin, if I drag somthin home great, if I dont great, I  enjoyed my day afield
It's a twang thang,some people git it, some people dont.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2010, 03:46:00 PM »
Where I do most of my deer hunting, there is no cell phone reception, but I suppose there will be in a couple of years.  Regardless, when I'm hunting, I sure don't want to be talking to or texting other folks, or sending them pictures, or reading about whatever they happen to be doing at the time.  There's plenty of time for that after the hunt.  I don't video my hunts.  Never will.

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2010, 03:48:00 PM »
I also agree with Mr. Stout saying it best, but somehow I can't resist saying this bit (of my personal opinion);
...to me, texting, calling, radio transmissions, pretty much anything short of smoke signals takes something (however small)away from the denominator of my LOVE for the time I spend with the Creator in Creation; Nature in it's purest possible sense...it's akin to texting while you're praying...
Your Chicken from McDonald's, Tyson Foods, or Perdue Farms spent most of it's life stuffed in a cage with three or four others, occupying a space about the size of a book page...None for me, thanks...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©