3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: where are we headed?  (Read 1682 times)

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: where are we headed?
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2010, 03:49:00 PM »
I dont have to worry about it one way or the other, we never have reception anyhow!!! But it is a good tool to use/have in case of an emergency. We can't be afraid of technology. As long as it's used for it's intent. I bet most of us drive a car/truck to our hunting spots. The indians might have something to say about that. Get my point? IMO

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2010, 03:58:00 PM »
I occasionally text my hunting partners when things are slow.  I always carry my cell for emergencies and occasionally take calls and check my email for business as well. By having it with me I get to hunt a lot of days I wouldn't get to otherwise. If I just want to be alone and I all i have to do is shut it off. I've never filmed a hunt. I kinda have mixed feelings about that issue I guess.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2010, 04:13:00 PM »
I carry one for emergency use only. There have been a couple of times pre-cell phone days I wish there had been some way of reaching help. I couldn't walk out with my broken ankle and it was a heck of a long crawl. I wanted a ride even if it was in a deer cart that day, as long as it didn't mean I had to be field dressed to get it..
God bless,Mudd

PS your eyes have to be good enough to read that small print if you're gonna text.. mine aren't.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2010, 04:16:00 PM »
Well put Mr. Nail.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Austin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
Most of the time I spend on this forum is from my phone. Right now I don't have internet at the apartment where I live. Generally I don't use my phone while hunting unless it's to communicate with someone I'm hunting with, or to give an update to a friend (or the wife).  I really hate using radios, they're noisy and sound aweful. It really ruins a peaceful environment. Texting is more like a thought, and I can communicate with my hunting buddies without losing the peacefulness of my surroundings. (Just don't text me unless there's a good reason)The technology itself does not in any way take away from my hunting experience.
I really have no interest in filming my hunt, that would ruin it for me, but if I see an unusual critter, or take a nice buck I may snap a picture to share with friends. I also use my phone gps to load maps if I want to see the lay of the land when scouting, and occasionally get weather updates.
Thunderhorn Coup Stick 60" 54@28
Brad Moore t/d recurve 62" 60@30

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2010, 04:34:00 PM »
I also think we are headed straight to hell, if we don't change.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2010, 04:42:00 PM »
I carry a cell for emergencies

Offline rickshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »
Gotta feelin the handbasket crowd is going elsewhere…but I’m hopin on the happy hunting ground, myself.

The other bottom line though, is that I ain’t all that gabby…nevertheless, I do have responsibilities and I mostly hunt alone, so carrying my cell phone affords an extra measure of assurance/comfort that not having one can’t (…and, hasn’t buzzed yet). Rick.

Offline thunder1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »
Welcome to the information age. Everything right here right now.
No man ever stood so tall as when he stooped to help a child

David

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2010, 04:56:00 PM »
Personally I think most people dont even know what it's like to have silence and not TV's,Cell phones,Mp3's,and video games.I often get up early 4:30 am and just sit in silence (my kids think I'm nuts) But It's the only way you can become one with yourself is to not have any un-natural interference. They( the stated above) have taken over human contact!
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2010, 05:00:00 PM »
I carry a cell but typically don't use it while hunting other than to locate my farmer host, or to tell my beloved that the hunt is over and the truck is headed home. It gives her a little peace of mind.

I am starting to get frustrated with the poor taste of many of my bowhunting brothers and the video they feel compelled to post, either on the hunting forums or YouTube etc. It took years to teach everyone the political incorrectness of tying our kill on the front bumper to parade around town. Now many of these videos are in equally poor taste, and I find it hard to believe anyone has any pride in them.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2010, 05:01:00 PM »
What's texting and when did it become a verb?  :bigsmyl:
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline Pennsyltuckey pete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2010, 05:02:00 PM »
Welcome to the age of information technology.  I carry a cell when I hunt.  I will text back and fourth with people I am hunting with.  I am not addicted to texting or calling and will generally only initiate a conversation with a :"Hey I missed" or "GET THE DOG!"

Remember there is an off button on the cell phone so If you want to be off the grid and alone,  you can be.

Is this bad or good?  How many people were glued to the TV for days for the most up to date information when the World Trade Center was attacked? Was this good or bad?  

Is there a difference between hearing the story a day after or as it is happening?  Either way the author is controlling the information that is shared with the community. The difference is the time frame.

My take?  I think it is up to the guy in the stand to make his own decision if he wants to share now or later, and, it is up to the guy on the internet to decide if he wants to participate in a hunt as it is going on by participating on the hunt forum.

pete
Love one woman, Many Bows

Offline nkw880

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2010, 05:06:00 PM »
if we are hunting in groups we always take our phones with us just in case of emergency we always tell each other when we are getting down so we always know where each other are at , at all times
martin hunter 62" 55#
74 Kodiak Magnum 52" 45#
Tomahawk SS 64" 57#

Offline Rod in SC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2010, 05:20:00 PM »
My buddies and I text each other while hunting quite often. I even visit tradgang while on stand. This post is coming from my blackberry while I'm on post in my stand for the last day of deer season!  I can most likely hear deer coming before they get into bow range anyway. I love the outdoors and I love to read and write and if I can do em all together, why not?  I killed 7 deer this year with my recurve so i guess it didn't lower my success rate too much. Good grief! We're all texting now from our computers! Ilove it.  And I love a good hunting video too. But I especially love to read how you guys feel about things and your experiences shooting and hunting. I love tradgang!  I guess I'm just in a loving mood. Gotta go I hear something coming.
Rod Martin

Offline Charles K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2010, 05:54:00 PM »
I don't care....either way.

Offline Pennsyltuckey pete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2010, 05:55:00 PM »
Rod,

Good Luck with what you hear/heard coming in to your stand.  Hope it was the big one.  Would love to see a pic when you get time!

pete
Love one woman, Many Bows

Offline WVeer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2010, 06:08:00 PM »
A couple years ago I put my 13 year old in a treestand with cellphone to call me if he needed something.  I was hunting about 100 yards away.  He was secured with a safety belt and had instructions on where his effective range was.  I no sooner got settled in to my stand when I heard a commotion from his direction.  I was relieved to get a call from him saying he needed my help because he had arrowed his 1st traditional deer.  My thoughts were racing before he called wondering what was happening where he was.  I carry mine on vibrate and use it as needed but understand other's points of view.

Offline MR BILL SHORTY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2010, 06:12:00 PM »
WHAT"S A CELL PHONE? I HAVE A PHONE IN MY CELLER IS THAT THE SAME THING?

Offline el_kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2010, 06:13:00 PM »
Just a quick note about texting (which I rarely do).

In some places in Wyoming it is possible to get a text message out and not be able to get a call out from the same phone.

So the phone stays off, in the pack, forgotten unless someone is seriously injured.  In a situation like that, I'm a big fan of technology.  

Otherwise, I agree with the ball and chain comments some have made -- we are sometimes TOO connected these days.  I go into the woods (to hunt, to fish, to climb, whatever) to get away from things, not to take them with me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©