3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: where are we headed?  (Read 1680 times)

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: where are we headed?
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2010, 08:19:00 AM »
.....mine stays off in the truck. Map n compass instead of a GPS. Trying to avoid as many techno crutches as possible when out hunting.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2010, 08:53:00 AM »
It is against the law in Iowa to use a "radio" to hunt deer. Cell phones are specifically listed under the definition of "radio".

I carry mine only for "help, I've fallen and can't get up."

Where are we going? I think that in the near future many folks will be wearing hat mounted mini cams with 24 recording hard drives with them switched on all day. I won't be one of them.

I like memories better than videos and story telling around the campfire better than hunting shows on TV.

Dave, it was a pleasure to meet you yesterday. Thanks for the pork and kraut, it was great. Good hunting this week.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2010, 09:03:00 AM »
Technology is neither good nor bad, it just is. And it's here to stay, so we might as well get used to it.

The irony of this discussion on this medium is truly heavy.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »
Originally posted by Don Stokes:

The irony of this discussion on this medium is truly heavy.
you can say that again.
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »
Another point is to think of all the hunters lives that have been saved due to having a cell phone on board! I can think Of three I know of close by. Didn't know the hunters but know the stories due to working in Fire Dept.

Lenny made a great point - too funny.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2010, 09:22:00 AM »
Mr. Nail, you have summed up my feelings much better than I.
The spoken word, the campfire tales beat
the bejesus out of streaming video.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »
I am looking forward to the time when satellite telemetry will scan my area for heat sources, indicate trending pattens on what they are doing and where they are heading and report back to my "XYZ" phone so I can be sure and get there ahead of the deer.  

Then I can be wearing my electronic invisibility cloak that sees the surroundings and makes the pixels of my suit (which also sucks in air and runs it thru a filter pack, rendering me totally scentless (including breath and ear wax scent).

Then aiming with my bow that has a built in scanner that can see in very low light (OK.. dark) and give me an aiming point, along with a gyroscopic handle so that I cannot jerk the bow and get a bad shot.  Since we are evolving to be very nimble with our digits (read..texting) the release should be quick and perfect so I am not worried there.

Then of course, we will have anti-gravity driven quads that make no noise and travel above ground, to help me get ahead of the deer, provide an elevated shooting stand, and to drag the deer back.

Wn't have to worry about cleaning the deer cause we will only be allowed to eat "Soilant Green" or whatever by then... no meat except what is supplied by the government which will no longer be Uncle Sam but rather  Second Cousin Vinnie.

Man  that's gonna be great !
ChuckC

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2010, 10:09:00 AM »
I a world of instant gratification people are losing the ever so important skill  of patience.

If people are giving minute by minute updates seems to me they care more what people think of them.

I love to watch videoed hunts and but myself would rather be hunting than worrying about gadgets, which is why I thought a lot of people preferred trad.  

As far as cell phones in the woods?  That makes sense for several applications, but when I'm hunting the phone stays off!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »
I hate cell phones! They do have their place and I have one for my job, but I use it the least amount possible. I don't want to be accessible 24/7, constantly being called about something stupid/insignificant.  My wife insists I take one hunting for safety, but I'd never use it to text while hunting - don't know how.  I'm not anti-technology, I just think cell phones (along with video games) are one of the worst things ever for our young people (and some old).  Kids are totally additicted to these things, they can't go anywhere or do anything without being glued to the keyboard texting.(my kids aren't allowed to text) And 99% of it is just stupid crap, total waste of time that could be used for doing something worthwhile. It is depressing to be at a family gathering where you would like to visit and interact with loved ones you haven't seen in awhile, and most of them can't peel themselves away from texting long enough to even look up and have a conversation.  Texting people in the same room for cripe sake!
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2010, 11:04:00 AM »
I don't own a cell phone so can't offer much on should I use it in the woods but John Nail's post hits home for me.  There's just something about carrying a computer in one's pocket while pretending to seek the 'stickbow challenge' that just doesn't ring true (scuse' the pun).  

Besides, when we need long-range comminication up here Maine we go simple...smoke signals and yelling really loud.

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2010, 12:00:00 PM »
Heck, most the time I don't have reception when I'm out of sight of the nearest town. Too many trees and mountains to use them while I'm hunting.

One stand location I have gets cell reception.  One day about 9am I got a text from a friend saying he had shot a buck, but couldn't find it.  So I climbed down and drove the 30 minutes to his location and helped him search for the wounded buck.
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline recurve27128

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2010, 05:08:00 PM »
Chuck C nice reply, maybe in 5-10 yrs well only be shooting holographic deer.
dave brown

Offline recurve27128

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2010, 05:10:00 PM »
I wonder if we could elaborate on shauns view that a cell phone constitites radio use which in Iowa is illegal exept for coyote hunting. Shaun a real pleasure meeting you. Dave
dave brown

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2010, 05:52:00 PM »
I carry a cell phone for emergencies and calling my wife when the hunt is over and I'm heading home.  Other than that no calls or texting.

I carry a VHF radio during rifle season so we can arrange hunting for downed deer, the walk out, etc.  Cell phones don't work there.

I feel video taping a deer getting killed is a cruel thing and I don't much like watching it.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »
I think that most of us, Traditional shooter,have choosen the hard way with our bows limitations so we look for the experiences,for the feelings of the hunt and not for any kind of fancy shortcut.I would like to know what our cousins wheelers can respond to this question.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »
Below is what the PA Game Commission says about the use of cell phones.....

Portable, two-way radios and cell phones may be used for general communications with another hunter, but may not be used to direct or alert another hunter of the presence or location of live game or wildlife. The use of electronic communication devices to alert hunters to live game is not only a violation of the Game & Wildlife Code, but violates the concept of Fair Chase.

Problem is, how can this be inforced with respect to cell phones?  With radios, all the WCO has to do is have his on the same channel as the hunters.

If someone wants to spend their time in the woods texting that is their right and no business of mine.  But if they are using it to gain an advantage in taking game, I have a real problem with that.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »
This thread cracks me up  :rolleyes:  

All you guys complaining about cell phones and texting when you are all sitting in front of a much bigger phone right now texting to 22,000 other tradgangers all over the world  :readit:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline blueslfb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2010, 07:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by K.S.TRAPPER:
This thread cracks me up   :rolleyes:  

All you guys complaining about cell phones and texting when you are all sitting in front of a much bigger phone right now texting to 22,000 other tradgangers all over the world   :readit:  

I was just thinking the same thing!!! What difference does it make whether you type your story as it happens or wait and post a story on here later with all the pics. As far a videotaping a hunt, a buddy taped me on my mule deer hunt this year and it was the coolest thing to watch and relive later with my family and friends. Just a live picture no different than taking pictures of a successful hunt and posting for all to see.

Tracy

Offline blueslfb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2010, 07:41:00 PM »
That did not work like I wanted. GRRRR!!!

The second paragraph was not from K.S.Trapper just for clarification. In case he does not agree with my opinion.

Sorry Tracy!!!

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »
It's all good Sean   :thumbsup:  

There's nothing I like better then hearing about all my TradGang friends hunts either texting, talking on the phone or watching there videos or sitting here in front of this computer and reading about them.

Some of the places I have been to and some I haven't but it almost like being there sometimes when there telling the story and it is just the same to me when I here it from them in person sitting around a camp fire on a Tradgang hunt. I never tire of it.  :campfire:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©