3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A list of RISERS available for ILF limbs to made a hunting bow  (Read 1835 times)

Offline Gene Charbonneau

• Trad Bowhunter
Lenny’s recent thread on ILF bows, (How many are shooting ILF bows?), has gotten me interested in putting together an ILF hunting bow.  Seems that there are a bunch of risers out there, many I have just now heard about.  I’d like to know all that are available, and I’d bet from the interest on that thread, that some of you others would as well.

Let’s start a list.  Giving what you know, like/dislike about each.  What materials, if they are made for shooting off the shelf or rest, lengths, ET.  Find pics and post if you can.

Let me start.
I am not very knowledgeable in ILF setups, but have had a couple.  I may have made mistakes in my descriptions. If so, please point them out.

=================================================

1. DAS (Dalaa/Master)

Machined Aluminum
Some draw weight adjustability
Tiller adjustability
Center shot adjustability
Burger Button Hole (for screw in type rest)
Will take any ILF limbs, (but you have to change bushings).
Comes in 17 and 21” lengths

Dislikes:
   The sideplate for the adjustable centershot is flat (because it turns) and would at times catch the feathers on my arrows.
   Would prefer an all wood or phenolic more traditional looking riser.

=================================================

2. TradTech Pinnacle

• Accepts TradTech & all ILF Recurve and Longbow Limbs
• 19” ILF Riser with the Beauty of Wood
• Crafted of Thick Phenolic Layers and Maple Hardwood Lams
• Custom-Made by Samick Exclusively for TradTech’s Design
• ILF International Limb Fitting for standardized use with all ILF Limbs
• 19” Long Riser in RH/LH yields a 60”, 62” or 64” Bow w/ ILF Limbs
• Weight Adjustable up to 10% of Minimum Limb Weight
• Easy Tiller Adjustment for Split or Three Fingers Under
• Lateral Limb Adjustments Allow Perfect Setting for Any Limb
• Narrow, Medium Wrist Grip w/ Shelf Radius for Arrow Rest Rug
(The bove is Trad Tech's description)

Radiused Shelf
Inexpensive ($250)
Accepts ILF limb bushings as is

Dislikes:
   The Quality you would expect for the price. (Not BAD, but rough around the edges, sharp corners and edges.  It’s been a while, but I remember it as a bit heavy and clunky. (This might just be my poor memory).
   NOTE: The above is about the original design.  I just read on Pete Ward site that there is a new sleeker version out now.

ORIGINAL

NEW STYLE

================================================

3. WARF

A design developed by Bob Gordon.  Who probably started the whole movement to putting ILF limbs on hunting style bows.  He basically adapts old metal compound bow risers, and machines the risers to accept ILF limbs.  There are several old risers that make a nice WARF bow.  Not sure of them all, but :

HOYT TD3  (one of the best)
Black Bear
Proline
(That is all I know that other more knowledgeable folks can chip in.).

Cheap.  (You can build one yourself with parts now available from Lancaster for under $80).

Dislikes:
Not much to dislike.  May be getting hard to find old risers to convert.  Forget the lengths, but most are on the long side 19+ inches. Can be heavy.  Can be clunky.  But if you build your own, you can trim them down.

Here is a Hoyt TD3 that I had owned

Sidenote:
   Pete Ward has full details on building your own at his web site. Plus a real slick TD3 conversion that he did, and got a nice film dip on.  I hope he sees this and pitches in. He got a lot of knowledge on these things.

Hope you all can pitch in and educate us on all the rest of the stuff available out there.
}}}==Gene-O==>(X)

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A list of RISERS available for ILF limbs to made a hunting bow
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 02:40:00 PM »
if you have an open mind about what trad is and you want to put an arrow thru a turkeys wingnut at 25yds, the Bernardini Mamba and Cobra are a great choice.

Mike and Jason at Dryad Bows have a wooden 15" in the works.  I saw the prototype the other day.  It will a another moneth or so, theyh are going to get it right on the first go around.

I had them build me an Orion riser string enough and arrcurate enough to use a sight, stabilizer and plunger.  their 15" will be a stiffened up riser like mine but have the same feel and look as their Orion riser.

Borders Bows also has a line of wooden ILF risers one the way.  Triple Carbon, stiffen enough to cut past center.  stab and stight bosses available.

I seems like Sky (Belchers) is coming up with some pretty dandy alloy riser,  I haven't goten to shoot one yet.

OH btw Dryad is Warfing some old Alpine compound riser.  I shot one the other day with their new ILF lonbgbow limbs.  riser was real nice to shoot.

rusty

Offline Gene Charbonneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 03:10:00 PM »
Rusty

Thanks for the input   :thumbsup:  

I saw where Mike posted on that Alpine riser they had converted.  Pretty slick.  I will be watching for the new Dryad ILF riser.

I'd like to keep to a 15-17" riser, so that is what I am personally looking into.  But curious on ALL the ILF stuff.

I got a feeling we will be seeing lots of new risers in the near future.
}}}==Gene-O==>(X)

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 03:12:00 PM »
if you are opened minded  :) , don't over look the 25" FITA risers.  here is the one I hunted turkey with for over a decade. 25" Hoyt Gold medalist.  took a little thought to get in quieten down but I did.  ILF recurve shorts will give you a 66" bow.  I put a pair of 48# 25H 66" (shorts) on the bow.  It was not in Guru's class but for an old geezer it was a killing machine.

a 23" ILF fita riser will give you a 64" bow with ilf short recurve limbs.  a bow will with the hunting lenght IMO

rusty

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 03:15:00 PM »
Gene - Ah sorry.  the 17 and less are just now coming online since the DAS risers.  Hoyt and Black Widow (wilson bothers) had some 16" riser but were not really ILF.  

the Bernardini's are 19" and 21" sorry

rusty

Offline Gene Charbonneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 03:21:00 PM »
Rusty

Not ruling out longer risers.  
May even go all the way to 19"  :biglaugh:
}}}==Gene-O==>(X)

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 04:45:00 PM »
I appreicate your open mind as to what a traditional hunting bow is or is not.  we mostly see the narrowest little slice of what tradtional was just before the compound made us tradtional.  

This little  riser was a 16" Hoyt hunting riser.  it has cut out for drawing the  BH indside the shelf.  it has a eye lash brush rest.  Now I am not sure what they wanted you to do with the shiny gold rods.  it is clear to see that precompound hunting bows were getting plumb techy  :)  Don't let the trad police scare ya off.  shoot what ya can hit the spot with and have the greatest cofidence in no matter if it is a HH Big Five or a surenuff techy trad rig

rusty -was an bowhunter before trad- Craine

Offline Gene Charbonneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 05:06:00 PM »
Good point.

I have nothing at all against the high tech stuff.  May very well try it again some day, when I have more patience to tune it properly.

I am of an age (OLD)  :cool:  that all new things take time.

I am going to keep my eyes for used IFL stuff in the classifieds.  Going to be a long winter here in Maine.  Looks like 12"+ of snow this weekend on top of the 10-12" already on the ground.  Makes it hard retrieving errant arrows.  :o
}}}==Gene-O==>(X)

Offline Lenny Stankowitz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 05:51:00 PM »
I guess it would all depend on what you consider a "hunting" riser but there are getting to be quite a few different options out there.

The actual ILF risers that I know of (designed as a "hunting" risers) are...

Tradtech
Titan
Pinnacle
Pinnacle II
Galaxy
Recon
Black Onyx

Morrison
Mini 14 custom wood
Mini 14 (machined aluminum)
16" custom wood
18 custom wood

Sky Archery (Belcher)
TDX 15"
TDX 17"

TAC
Black sheep
Firefly

There are a number of others that I know of that are in the works including...

Sapphire
Zipper
Dryad

There are a number of risers that will accept ILF limbs if the bushings are modified.

Hoyt
Gamemaster
Gamemaster II
Tiburon
Dorado

3Rivers
Dalaa

There are also a few like the  Hoyt Excel  that many are successfully using as hunting risers and of course all the other ILF target risers out there that have been used for years.

There are probably quite a few that I missed and even more that are in the works that nobody knows about yet.

Offline Gene Charbonneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 06:49:00 PM »
Thanks Lenny   :thumbsup:  

That's just what I was trying to find out about.
I guess by "hunting riser", I mean one not designed and dedicated primarily for target use. But from Rusty's posts I see than even long target style risers are adaptable, and with shorter limbs can make a compact bow.

I hope that this not only helps me, but is of use to other folks interested in ILF.

Having two risers (long and short) and a couple sets of limbs including longbow, and recurve leaves you with many possibilities.
}}}==Gene-O==>(X)

Offline Gene Charbonneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 01:23:00 PM »
Thought I would bump this up, as I decided on what I wanted, got my new bow, and with the interest in ILF limbed bows, figured others would be interested.

I settled on a Trad Tech Black Onyx Riser.  Its 15". Its black phenolic, with what looks like zebrawood trim. Very nicely made.  Excellent grip, and balance. Being phenolic its got mass, but being 15" not excessive.  Seems to be about the same weight as my BW PSA. $279

The limbs are Trad Tech Black Max Carbon over a Maple core.  From what I read everywhere.  These limbs are HOT, and very reasonably priced, make that CHEAP.  I got the 45# longs(on a 17" riser)  $219 pr.

End product is a 47# at 28" bow at 60" AMO.

Add a $15 Dyna '97 string and that $513 total.

Initial impression is that its faster, quieter, smoother than my 49# BW PSAII.  I like the grip better, and it pretty darn good looking as well.

For those wishing more info on just what ILF bows are all about see this link to Pete Ward's web site.  He lays it all down.
Just look for the ILF GUIDE on the left under "Projects"
  Pete Ward\\'s Web Site  

Thanks to all who were of assistance. Lenny was a huge help, as was Pete.
}}}==Gene-O==>(X)

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 01:30:00 PM »
Can you get the Black Onyx without the Zebrawood trim? Not that it looks bad I just like all black.

Offline Gene Charbonneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 01:32:00 PM »
Nope!

There is another version called the RECON , but its got more wood, and an extra $50.

}}}==Gene-O==>(X)

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 01:37:00 PM »
That's a beauty. How long are you going to keep that one   :biglaugh:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Gene Charbonneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 01:40:00 PM »
LOL  
I hope longer than I kept your ACS!  "[dntthnk]"  

Take care, bud!
}}}==Gene-O==>(X)

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2010, 06:13:00 PM »
that is a very handsome bow.

rusty

Offline Gene Charbonneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2010, 06:32:00 PM »
Hey Rusty

Thank you for your help.  :thumbsup:  

Gene
}}}==Gene-O==>(X)

Offline vitalinvader

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 07:08:00 PM »
Rusty, where did you get the bow holder in the pic. with the camo dipped bow and yellow jacket target.  I was thinking about making something like that for blind hunting.  Scott
Scotty Ralph

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »
i love the versatility of the ILF stuff . i normally shoot Hills tyle bows with wooden arrows but more and more i'm getting drawn to the versatility of the ILF gear .
i'm also really looking foward to get back into barebow target shooting ... 30 arrows at 60 metres will sort the wheat from the chaff!!!
now if i can get some glasses that'll let me actually see the target at 60 metres ....
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »
2 questions

1> what does IFL mean?
2> Do you feel these Bow are more accurate then other 3-piece Bows?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©