3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Grizzlies in Russia  (Read 484 times)

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
Grizzlies in Russia
« on: January 01, 2010, 03:59:00 PM »
Anyone ever hunted Grizzlies over in Russia? I read about hunting them acrossed the pond a while back and was wondering if anyone had. If so, could you post any info you may have? Thanks.

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grizzlies in Russia
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 04:08:00 PM »
There is a good story or two from Don Thomas in "Longbows in the Far North"
Great read. A dream hunt for sure.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
Thanks Ryan. Anyone got a copy I can borrow for a couple weeks?
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 04:38:00 PM »
I had some friend that are gone there,they where rifle hunting for Ibex,and the situation is changed since Don is been there.They overkilled those Grizzlies and now they are not so common animore.This is what it is been said to me.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Zenzele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »
I read somewhere that it's rifle's only out there at the moment! However I stand to be corrected. I do know a lot of the satellite countries do bowhunt some of the 'stans' and I know Latvia does...
Think you would be talking BIG money though, might be better spent locally?
'It's better to have less thunder in the mouth, and more lightning in the hand.' - Apache proverb

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 05:04:00 PM »
Mike, I can send you my copy to read if you want it. Let me know if you want it and send me your mailing address. Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Follower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 05:54:00 PM »
Doug Borland may know better than anyone.  Doug was the guy who opened the door for bowhunting in Russia and was the point man on those early trips when Don and those guys hunted over there.  My buddy Tom Martini killed a bear on one of those trips.  

I contacted Doug several years ago and he told me that it became very corrupt and that was the main reason they backed away from it.  I suspect that may still be the case.
"If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me...."  Jesus  (Mathew 16:24)

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 08:32:00 PM »
Thanks for the input folks. Keep it coming. Sounds like things have changed since I read about hunting over there. As far as price, it used to be half the price several years ago. At least the little research I did back then.

Mike, Thanks for your kind offer, but I already have one coming.

Offline mater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »
I know a guy that went there. He lost 18# in 10 days. The meals were part of the deal with the outfitter. Ill try to get the outfitters name. Be careful.  Mark

Offline Gerardo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »
You'll love the book!!!! how do they compare to the local ones, I hear they are very big in Russia?
Gerardo Rodriguez

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 10:31:00 PM »
I am not sure about hunting in them in russia now. I know that there was an overkill on them. I bbelieve that Romania has the largest population in Europe.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Online Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 10:55:00 PM »
Hey Devil Dog, if you need a copy of Don's book to read, just shoot me a PM, as I have copy you can borrow.  Semper Fi brother!
Chris

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 07:23:00 AM »
not sure that Romania has Grizzly bear but most a kind of smaller browns,not sure you can hunt them either.In the former Yugoslavia it is possible to hunt bear but they are not huge and i think they hunt them with the hounds.Maybe I can give you same more info for Siberia with in few days.Felix
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline foudarme

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »
there's a french bowhunter who killed a kamtchatka's grizzly 3 years ago. He wrote an article in "charc" the french bowhunters magazine. You can see its huge bear here, in the starrflight gallery :

http://starrflight.com/gallery/v/Russian+Brown+Bear+Taken+by+Paul-Jean+Achard.gif.html?g2_enterAlbum=0    

He said that cause the ph are not at all familiar with bowhunters needs they ask to shoot at distances which cannot be reached with a classical bow. The PH who was with him was very afraid to be so near of a bear and if I remember well the shot has been done at 50 yards.
if not, it's a true adventure in a very wild country with animals which have never seen a man before you!
In europe there are no grizzly but brown bear which are just a little bit bigger than your black bears.

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 03:15:00 PM »
When I checked with an outfitter about the possibility of bow hunting Brown bears in Russia a few years ago I was told by him bow hunting was no longer allowed there. Since that time I have learned that isn't exactly correct. Take it for what it is worth but from what I have heard anything is possible for a price there. You just need to pay the right people.
Jack Shanks

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 03:37:00 PM »
Jack that is correct this is part of the reason while the Bear num.is declined so much.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
After working in Afghan and with locals from all part of that area I can certainly tell you that you'll need to 'pay' the right people. It is how it works in that part of the world. Always has, always will be.

Don's book is a good read on that hunt though...

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »
Alot of great information here folks. I've been checking some outfitters out that book in Russia from the US and they CLAIM the numbers are not bad. The sizes are superior to our s in the US. These are their claims that is.

I'm looking forward to reading Dons book. Thanks to all who offered one to me.

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2010, 10:34:00 PM »
Sent you a PM.

Chris

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 11:45:00 AM »
It appears from the info I have been gathering here, and elsewhere, that the money saved is not outweighing the quality of the hunt. Heck, I've had people tell me they shoot them out of helocopters! The shot angle may be a little steep.lol It was something I wanted to look into anyhow. I have some info coming in the mail that I will analyze with a fine tooth comb. I just may have to save a couple more years and hunt here in the states. My moose hunt plans are coming together and I'm gettin alot of good contacts. It appears it will happen within the next 2 years.  Looks like my grizzly hunt will have to wait a while longer. But it will come, I promise you!!!   :thumbsup:  

Thanks to all for the good info.

Mike

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©