3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New to traditional  (Read 343 times)

Offline garrettxs4

• Trad Bowhunter
New to traditional
« on: January 01, 2010, 08:08:00 PM »
Hi Iam new to traditional shooting I have been shooting a compound for about 20 years and I am trying to switch to a recurve I have bought a Bear kodiak 40 lb and custom REM 50lb I have no idea on arrows (carbon,wood,aluminum,feathers plastic,fobs)Iam a little lost any help on what I should try.It seems it would be a little costly to just keep trying things until I hit the right combo Please Help Kevin

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New to traditional
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 08:10:00 PM »
Welcome and glad you switched.The guys and gals here will get you set up quick.Just have your paper and pencil ready.   :campfire:    :coffee:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »
Welcome to Traditional archery and welcome to Tradgang.You will find that so many Tradgangers will be willing to help you.You are welcome to call anytime if i can help.209-852-2475.
Mike

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »
FIrstly I would just pick one of the bows and get it right. You can phone some of the sponsors and they are great at helping pick a shaft and shaft type (wood-carbon-aluminum?) to start with......

You can get some kits that give you some different sizes so you can experiment...you need to know what weight of tip you want to shoot and FOC you want to achieve...draw length and poundage at that draw length.

With that info they should be able to get you going pretty much the cheapest way.

Then when you get the shaft that works and the tip weight down then you can get your broadheads.

From shooting a bow before atleast you have some background and aren't starting brand new.

Welcome aboard and be prepared for some type of learning curve and a bit of frustration in the beginning.

IT'S A JOURNEY...but it's so worth it.

Welcome to the GANG

Jer Bear  :bigsmyl:

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »
welcome, pilgrim - we've all been in your shoes at one time or another.

lotsa help for ya here at trad gang.

firstly, ya might wanna check out this topic ...

Trad Bowhunting Newbies ... tackle

... best wishes and Enjoy!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 09:13:00 PM »
Welcome to the campfire!
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
Welcome to the world of Trad!
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline bowmofo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 09:46:00 PM »
First off let me say Welcome! Second Nice Avatar choice   :saywhat:  you may want to find a club near buy to meet others with similar interests. I like Cedar arrows but I started with aluminum's because they are cheep to keep in feathers & knocks , also tips can be interchanged easily to experiment with length, spine and weight. Start out with the 40# while you are learning your fingers will thank you after a few hundred arrows. P.M me any time with ?'s
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 09:56:00 PM »
How exciting to have you join us. If there's anything I can do to help you along this new path don't hesitate to speak up. You are among like minded folks who are very knowledgeable and willing to share it.
Pull up a log, pour yourself a cup and enjoy the journey with the rest of the family. There will be someone along that'll get you on the right path with arrow selection. I wish it could be me but I'll shoot about anything. My philosophy is you can get a 2x4 to fly if you put enough feathers on it and even crooked arrows spin in a circle and there is a center to that circle. I use that center to shoot with...lol
God bless,Mudd
PS Welcome aboard!
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
Welcome, start with the 40 pounder.  Yes...really.  Start with the 40 pounder 8^).

Welcome.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
Welcome!!!

The "search" feature was and is very helpful with specific questions.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline woodbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 10:49:00 PM »
im with mr stout start with lighter bow get your form and feel for shooting. heavier bow may cause you more problems than you need right now.

Offline SveinD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 06:33:00 AM »
Welcome  :)

There's lots of help and experience here!
Centaur 58" Glass XTL 40@28

~Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand~ Kurt Vonnegut

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 07:13:00 AM »
Yes the 40# bow is perfect for starting.Then my advise is to start at 5 yards and try to focus on the form,looking for a consistent 2 points anchor point a clean release using your back muscles and a consistent follow through. Move back only when you have mastered your form and few paces everytime.When you have troubles come back to 5 yrs.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 07:32:00 AM »
Welcome Kevin  :wavey:    Glad to see you sit down at the fire here.  Read Rob's thread for newbies to get a great start on the right path and ask away with more specific questions as you go.  :archer:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline sdpeb1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 08:25:00 AM »
Welcome, trad can be as simple or as complicated as you want. Go with the light bow first. I love reading a fair amount on any new sport I get into. I even bought a book on bowling-lol. Ask a lot of questions here, you will very rarely find someone who is not respectful in the trad community. You will get some conflicting info  at times as there is more than one way to skin a cat, so as you grow you will find what works for you the best. I will say the best advise I took was to start out with a light bow untill you have perfected your form. Compounds are cool to shoot, trad bows are just flat out fun!!!- Steve

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »
Kevin welcome.  If you will read the newbies thread, listen to some of the "old timers", remain steadfast, this is a change you won't regret making.  Welcome to the journey.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline Dale Sharp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 12:32:00 AM »
Take what G. Stout says to the bank; 40#.
"To me, how you take an animal and how you conduct the hunt, and what you gain from the experience is what bowhunting is all about."
-Jay Massey

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 07:33:00 AM »
Welcome to the Brotherhood Of The Bow, Garrett.  You have found your way to what is IMO, the best, most fraternal, most informative & helpful site on the net.

Sounds like you are starting off right, not over-bowing yourself. Pay attention to the advice you'll get here. I imagine your head is swimming so I'll keep mine simple.

It will take a bit of time to find your groove with the style that best fits your pistol.  You can pretty much put aside most you know about compounds, other than they too launch an arrow.  Trad is a whole different deal...

Practice dilligently, don't get discouraged, and don't be afraid to try a few different styles as you go.  It's kind of like practicing music, in that the first one to practice a million notes wins.  One day along the way to that millionth shot, it will just click, and it's a blast getting there...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©