3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hennessy Hammock / Tent  (Read 527 times)

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
Hennessy Hammock / Tent
« on: January 01, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
Just ordered the Hennessy Exp. For myself and it comes with a second tent for free.. The second tent is up to 150# max. But that would be great for my girlfriend or daughter to use.
 Any of you ever used this tent setup before??? Any pointers for me???
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hennessy Hammock / Tent
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »
I use them on my Kauai trips.  They are notorious for being a bit cold but that circulating air means it breathes too.  When you tie it up get it as tight as possible.  Umm, what else?

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »
Are they even cold if you use a pad under you??

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »
sounds like a one season (summer) tent
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 10:58:00 PM »
Well, it they are notorious for being cold, they might just be perfect for hot summer night campouts.  A pad should help a lot in cooler weather.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 11:07:00 PM »
They are just thin taffeta fabric from the websites description. Being off the ground a pad won't help them be any warmer.  If you want to stay warm it seems like a proper temperature rated sleeping bag would take care of the cold problem.

Having slept on and below ground in a lot of environments while serving in the Army, I can tell you that the ground is not warm in any way, and often hard to sleep on.  The hammock should be a lot more comfortable.

Let us know what you think about the hammock.  I have been looking at buying some for the wife and I for early season scouting and hunting trips.  They look perfect for warm weather trips and decent as emergency shelters for cold weather.

Where did you get the two for one deal?
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 11:21:00 PM »
Ragnorak,

I just googled Hennesy Hammock and went to their website.  The buy one get one is their January special.  Only a certain one though.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 11:57:00 PM »
Dave the speciel is you get the smaller "Scout hammock" if you buy any other one that costs over I think $137. Which is most of them?? And they are also throwing in a snake skin for packing it all up in for free???
 Witout the special I would be payin like $258 plus shipping..
With it $147 shipped.

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 12:02:00 AM »
Well my daughter has one and loves it. Regretably she's grew up just like me WITHOUT the desire to hunt. HOWEVER she loves to camp and loves the outdoors.Been on some incredible outdoor adventures camping wise. With that said she'd rather leave home with nothng than leave her hammock tent home!
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 08:17:00 AM »
Definitely get the snakeskins if you buy one.

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 02:37:00 AM »
Steve they coming free with the snake skins  :jumper:  
Was just lookin at their sit again and they have like a blanket type thingy that attaches to the bottem of the hammock for winter use. Think it might be worth tryin??

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 02:45:00 AM »
hey thomas all ya need is a warm rated sleeping bag bro i have had one and it was great.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 12:02:00 PM »
No idea SC???

Offline Loosenock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »
A couple of years ago I bought a "Tree Boat" setup similar to the Hennesey.  The TB is good for over 300+ lbs, me being portly, but no where near 300 forced the decision.  It too has to be set tight.  But it is a good nights sleep.  I can lay an xl rectangular sleeping bag in it.  Its a comfy 3 season set up for Colorado and I think the Hennessy would be too.  Much better than sleeping on the ground with a thin gound pad.

'Loose
Joe

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
I use a Hennessy almost exclusively down here in Florida. Mostly canoe camping. We don't get the really cold temps but have slept in it down in the 30's with a thermarest slid in under me with no problems. In the summer it cant be beat for cool sleeping.
Can set up where a tent wouldn't be practical as well. Sure beats the ground!

Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 04:46:00 AM »
any tipps on how to set them up? Got it today but only missed with it 10-15 minutes... had to go to work...

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 11:15:00 AM »
I bought one a few years ago for elk hunting. What I found is this-

Pro- fairly easy to set up, once you learn to figure out how far apart the trees you set up need to be.

Light weight enough and compact enough that they are easy to backpack.

With the flt, you stay dry.

Con- very uncomfortable to slepp in unless you are one who easliy sleeps on your back. I do not.

It is a royal pain to crawl into a sleeping bag inside the hammock. If you have to get up in the night to pee or whatever, repeat the process.

Not warm. Tried a pad underneath me. Even a bigger pain in the arse to crawl in and get situated.

No way to shelter your gear, other than right beneath you.

I have since switched to a one man bivy tent. weight and packing size is the same, more room, and can squeeze some gear into it as well.
I cannot sleep laying flat on my back, thus the hammock did not work well for me at all.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 03:21:00 PM »
I tried one out this last early season. Both pros and cons were covered pretty good already, so long as the temps are above the low 40's you'll be fine. Colder than that I go to the ground.

Setup is very quick with a few addon pieces.  Get two sections of 1" nylon webbing (3' or so) and 4 steel or aluminum rings.

Tie the webbing around the trees at head height with two rings on each webbing. Thread the tie cord up and around the two rings like you would a motorcycle helmet, secure one side with a half hitch. Go to the other set of rings, repeat threading, and tighten the SNOT out of the system, then use a half hitch to secure that side.

Its quick, stable, and holds well.  If I roamed FL the HH would be my prefered sleeping shack for sure, up here it gets a bit chilly.

Oh yeah, pick up a bigger tarp for it - at least an 8x10, there's more room under it then to stash your gear and hangout/cook when the weather turns sour.
Support the sport!

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 03:52:00 PM »
It's probably on optical illusion but I hope the hammock is behind this.

I am looking at a Clark North American. It's a little more money but I am not a light weight.
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2010, 04:32:00 PM »
lol, yeah the hammock is beyond the cypress knee. Would be a rude awakening if it slipped eh? ;-)
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©