3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Emergencies???  (Read 1038 times)

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
Emergencies???
« on: January 01, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »
I keep reading about people carrying their cell phones hunting for "emergencies." How many of you have ever actually had an emergency that truly required a cell phone call to accomplish anything other than circumventing an inconvienience? Just curious.
Your Chicken from McDonald's, Tyson Foods, or Perdue Farms spent most of it's life stuffed in a cage with three or four others, occupying a space about the size of a book page...None for me, thanks...

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Emergencies???
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 10:24:00 PM »
At the medical examiners office we get calls from police stating that via  a cell call to report someone falling from a tree and dieing.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 10:25:00 PM »
I always carry mine when in an area that it is usfull anyway. I have not yet had a real emergency though(I am quite thankful for that). I have used to get permision to come down onto some private land and get a ride back to my truck one time though while lion hunting and ended up 13 miles from my truck in waste deep snow and 20 below temps. I was glad I had it that day.

I do however have experiance with people getting lost and calling in. Having been on search and rescue. I have heard many stories of someone finding another hunter hurt and was able to phone for help also.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline gregk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 11:46:00 PM »
I turn mine off and put it in my fanny pack. It does not take up much room and if something unfortunate were to happen i have it with me.

Offline doug g

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 11:50:00 PM »
I carry it now from time to time, as I get older I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
TGMM

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 11:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by doug g:
I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
My feelings as well.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline LongbowGuy83

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 11:52:00 PM »
I heard a story of a hunter that fell out of a stand and was paralyzed immediately. He was hunting a different area and didn't tell anyone he was going there hunting. Luckily he had his cell and could call for help. If not...... who knows? I carry mine always, but thank God I've never had to use it.
Caleb Chambers
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 11:55:00 PM »
That's true, Greg, just remember to grab your fanny pack from the hook as you fall from your tree.   :D

I'm thinking more and more like Doug every day.  I keep my phone on silent and in an outer pocket where I can get to it, then pray I won't need it.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Broken Arrow 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 12:17:00 AM »
I keep mine in my pocket all the time while hunting.
Its not the size of the animal you hunt that matters. Its how you hunt the animal.

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 12:30:00 AM »
It only takes one "real" emergency to kill you. The phone could save your life. I carry mine almost every time I'm on stand. It is usually turned off or to silent mode and I never answer it but I have it in case something bad happens and I need help.

Bisch

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 12:34:00 AM »
I had to call to get a guy out of the woods...he rolled his ankle under a 400lbs rock and i was the only other guy around for miles.  He left his home b/c he didn't want to be bothered with it.

Offline Dave McDaniel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 08:59:00 AM »
I keep mine on vibration mode. I usually don't answer it but I do check to make sure it is not from my wife or kids. A family emergency is more important to me than saying I don't want my hunt interrupted, at least to me anyway. Must be an age thing.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 09:03:00 AM »
I've used mine to call in game violations I witnessed.  One time the CO was in the area and I got the satisfaction of staying on the phone and talking him right onto the violator...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 09:04:00 AM »
I have mine with me always... just can't stand the thought of not texting 24/7.
  :D
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline mwmwmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 09:10:00 AM »
i always have mine while hunting for emergencies. it is on vibrate. and the only time i text is while hunting. to check in with other hunting buddies.

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »
It is another important safety device, which can't be used if it isn't included in the rest of your safety gear.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2010, 09:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
I have mine with me always... just can't stand the thought of not texting 24/7.
    :D  
I not only don't I know how to text, I can't figure out the camera thing on it either.  Can't hardly see those damn little buttons, anyway...  :D
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2010, 09:24:00 AM »
I carry mine always.A few years back wile turkey hunting I took a load of #4s to the chest, neck ,and face.I was in no condition to call but  my buddies cell got help there fast.I hope nobody ever has to make that call but I'll always carry mine.
Jeff Couture

Offline Scott S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2010, 09:24:00 AM »
Mine's always in my pocket when I hunt.  I don't expect my house to burn down either, but I carry homeowner's insurance.  I did use the cell once on a hunt to call for assistance when driving to my hunting spot, I hit a nice 8-pointer which disabled my truck.  It would have been a long walk.
"The fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth and upon every bird of the heavens, upon everything that creeps on the ground and all the fish of the sea. Into your hand they are delivered." Gen 9:2

Offline TA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2010, 09:26:00 AM »
If you had 3 daughters at home like I do, you learn the texting thing pretty fast. Never go hunting with out mine, if the kids aren't hunting with me, there constantly texting me to see how my hunt is going.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©