3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Emergencies???  (Read 1036 times)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Emergencies???
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2010, 09:34:00 AM »
I don't see anything wrong with having a cell phone handy, but I turn it off. I have never had an emergency that required on but I had a friend fall out of his stand once in a position where he could not reach his steps or the stand and could not unto his homemade safety harness he had no choice but to hang there 6' off the ground for an hour until the guy he was huning with came along a cell phone would have been nice. What amazes me  is how many guys will go hunting way out in the woods with no first aid kit, compass or firestarter. I have alot of friends tell me a compass isnt needed if you have a GPS unit- but I am a firm believer in murphy's law-batteries die out, things get dropped on a rocks and break and somtimes just dont work. a good compass is almost foolproof.

Offline ryped

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2010, 09:38:00 AM »
I work and play in the woods daily and have had many times where a cell phone saved a lot of sweat and boot leather. Varies from vehicle problems/accidents to a dead bear in a log landing.  Now with kids I can't imagine being without some sort of communications. If nothing else I can call home when I arrow something so a search party is not sent by my wife when I'm a hour late.

Offline Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2010, 10:17:00 AM »
I have. Eight days after buying my first phone I had a screw in step pull out and down I came catching my left armpit on another step and ripping a 7" gash across my armpit and up the front of my shoulder. I called 911 and gave them the info and told them where I was. The guy with the rescue squad said "wow I can see the bone", I said thanks. I probably could have walked out, maybe, but it would not have been smart to get behind the wheel of a vehicle. At the hospital they worked on me for 2 hours that night. The doctor joked saying she had to reattach my arm. I was lucky there was no major nerve or blood vessel damage. They worked on me for 2 hours that night. That was October 16, 1996. I do not use screw in steps or any other method of getting up a tree that has any projections stick out that I can get caught on should I have a fall. So yes I carry my phone. Going to the woods without my phone is like going to the woods without my bow. You can't be too careful.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2010, 10:35:00 AM »
I HATE cell phones, but I love my wife, so I carry a phone when I go to the woods.

It is on vibrate, but I don't answer a call unless it is from Joan or my 85 year old mother.

I fight some medical trouble that would keep any sensible guy out of the woods, but being "out there" is the most enjoyable remnant of my former life, and it means a lot to me.

The phone is in my left hand pocket, and reachable of I fall and get injured.  I don't INTEND to use it any more than I intend to "use" my safety harness, but it feels wise to have there, just in case!

When I shot a doe just before dark earlier this season, I made a quick call to say I'd be an hour later than usual getting home because there was work to do!  It was better than having my bride of 30 years sitting home worrying...
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2010, 10:47:00 AM »
I can't imagine anybody not having one handy if needed. They are an absolutely great tool for safety and help if you get into trouble and take up very little room.  Mine stays in my shirt or jacket pocket. With all the other junk....er, useful stuff, most guys pack around in their packs that seldom if ever gets used, a phone could conceiveably be the most useful tool of all....Dave
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2010, 11:53:00 AM »
My buddies and I were on a hunting trip a few years back; camping at a somewhat remote State Forest campground.  Up on the bluff above our campsite, a person from another camp had been sitting on a rock outcrop polishing off a bottle of whiskey that afternoon.  He tried to stand up and fell 30 feet to the ground.  A tree stopped him from rolling the other 300 feet down into the stream by our camp.

He had some neurologic deficits.  With trauma, time "can be" extremely critical.

We had air care land at our campsite.

In the end, the guy ended up OK.  He picked a decent spot to fall, quite a few of us in camp were Paramedics and we all had cell phones.    :)

Wouldn't you feel foolish having something happen to your health that could have been changed by carrying a cell?
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2010, 12:03:00 PM »
I had a buddy and son get lost in the woods last year, he called 911 for help. The Sheriff in return called my other buddy at work to find out what general area they were in after they spent the night in the woods!

I would rather have it than not, calling someone for different kinds of help is a plus in my book!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2010, 12:08:00 PM »
I have been on calls that involved it - dispatch was notified by the hunter via cell.

Bisch said it right - dont let the first real emergency teach you that it is a good idea to carry your cell hunting as your first real emergency could be your last real emergency. Then you will be a statistic that will teach others to carry their cell phones while hunting. Period, way it is.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2010, 02:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by Scott S.:
Mine's always in my pocket when I hunt.  I don't expect my house to burn down either, but I carry homeowner's insurance.  I did use the cell once on a hunt to call for assistance when driving to my hunting spot, I hit a nice 8-pointer which disabled my truck.  It would have been a long walk.
Now thats a true statement!!!! I don't understand why so many people have issues with people carrying cell phones hunting. If it saves a life or not, they don't hurt a thing! How many lifes could have been saved back in the day if cell phones were around. And 50 years from now people will be asking why I have to have my GPS chip installed in my hand by the government.  :bigsmyl:
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2010, 02:55:00 PM »
Have and not need... ya know.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2010, 03:47:00 PM »
How many times have you actually "needed" your safety harness?  But you'll be glad you've got it when you do fall.

Same principle, you may need it tommorow you may never need it, but it's nice to know it's there.

Offline Dean Lintz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2010, 05:20:00 PM »
I have never needed my cell for emergency but nice piece of mind. Also works well to get help dragging on sucessful hunt. Getting older is not for whimps.

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2010, 05:42:00 PM »
Never wore snake boots when I was younger, but now I do, Because the wife insists on it. Was bitten 7 times over an 18 year period, only 2 times bad. After my good hunting buddy made this fact known to her, it was no more hunting alone or wear snake boots! I wear the boots.

Look at cell phones the same way. Don't really want to carry one but it makes the family feel better about me being out there alone.
Also I've started leaving a game plan when I hunt alone with my nephew. He knows the areas I frequent and if anything were to happen I am confident he can get help to me quickly.
 I have found the phone handy twice, as I made the decision to drastically change my plans. Just called and left a message with the Nephew before leaving the truck and heading for my new location.
He understood completely why I called, and the Wife couldn't believe I was that thoughtful.

He actually talked her in to buying me a Garmin Vista Hcx for Christmas. Now he says if I change plans just call and leave him my stand coordinates.

Here we go again, I'm still a compass guy. Guess I need to learn this new technology to keep them happy!!!!
You'd think it could have stopped with the snake boots!

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2010, 06:35:00 PM »
I bring mine with me, but I don't get service in most of the area I hunt.  I can get a faint signal if I find a big open space.  I've made it a habit of letting someone know where I am hunting.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
if ya got one, never go afield without a cell phone - ya never know ..........
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »
About 3:30PM on the 26th of December a good friend of mine fell 15 feet from his treestand and broke both legs very badly. His cell phone might have saved his life. He was able to call emergency and avoided lying in freezing conditions for hours hoping someone might locate him. He is very thankful he had his cell along.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2010, 08:39:00 PM »
Opening day 2004 I shot a doe. Started to drag her out and made it about 5 ft. Called my son who was 35 miles away. I had a Quad. bypass.
Hap

Offline sou-pawbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2010, 10:15:00 PM »
Better to have and not need.
Molon labe

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
Three years ago on a antelope/mule deer hunt my friend had a motorcycle accident. He had a concusion and was not breathing for a while. We were 50 miles down on a dirt road we had to drive 10 mile to find service. Having a phone saved use a good two hours. We were able to have the ambulance meet use half way out. When you finally find yourself in a bad situation you will be glad you have your phone. I am in the always off the beaten path and alone alot. The phone has help me alot,ether  broke down, needing help with quarters. If I could have a satelite phone or a spot system, ect.. I would. Now my phone is always turned off when I'm hunting,but it is nice as a back up.

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
somehow i think Charlie's a leg-puller...
Your Chicken from McDonald's, Tyson Foods, or Perdue Farms spent most of it's life stuffed in a cage with three or four others, occupying a space about the size of a book page...None for me, thanks...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©