3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Emergencies???  (Read 1037 times)

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Emergencies???
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2010, 02:41:00 AM »
Couple years ago I had a broadhead fall out of my bow quiver and I walked onto it.  Went into my left thigh about 1/2" past the Zwickey Eskimo.  I did NOT have a cell phone with me.  Luckily, I was camped with some other guys and was able to get to the truck and honk SOS repeatedly on the horn and two of them came back to camp on the run.  Also luckily, I didn't do any serious damage and about 17 stitches later I hobbled back out into the woods and hunted that evening.

Honestly, I feel naked without my cell phone along when I hunt.  About like driving a car with no seat belt.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Charlie Schweikert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2010, 02:51:00 AM »
When I was younger I mostly hunted alone when I wasn't hunting with family.  A casual remark about the quarter of the state where I would be hunting as I headed out the door was the usual.  Never thought much of it.  Now in my sixties and my wife is more concerned for me.  For the first time this year I carried a cell phone with me always and left a pretty good map - my wife felt much better.  For hunts in areas without cell service, I make a Google-Earth photo screen of my intended hunt area and include tags for trailheds, parking areas, campsites - as much detail as I can manage.  I include contact info for people we know who are familiar with the hunt area.  My wife really appreciates this and feels better for it.  I'm pragmatic.  I know full well that there are any number of things that could go wrong and even with the phone, maps, Google-Earth screen it might be years before my varmint-gnawed bones were found.  But maybe, just maybe, I could be helped through a bad situation.  The effort I expend is small, it's interesting for me, helps my wife have peace of mind.  I honestly feel it's better to have the phone and make the location information and not need it than to need it and......

Take care all  -  Charlie

Offline Ghost Dancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2010, 12:01:00 PM »
I was hunting by myself one late December morning last year.  I fell into a river trying to cross it at 5:30 in the morning carrying a Lone Wolf tree stand, tree sticks, pack, Gray Wolf Jacket and wearing woolen bib.  When I made to to the other shore I knew I was in trouble because it was 15 degrees out, and had to get back across.

I had to recross the river.  I fell again, but this time I was wedged against a log under water on my back with the current holding my in place.

I realized that I was going to die, but I could not move.  I had to summon every bit of strength to stand up.  I made it out and fell a few times climbing back up the icy bank.

Now I had a 1/2 mile walk to my car. The weight of the wet wool was tremendous.

By the time I got to my car I wasn't cold anymore and I felt quite comfortable.  I sat down because I was so sleepy and just wanted to rest.  I wanted to take a nap to regain my strength as I was so fatigued.

However, I felt my head and it was completely covered in ice and my clothes were also completely frozen.

I finally had a rational thought and knew hypothermia was setting in, so I threw off my pack, stand, sticks and started shedding my wet clothes.  

Nevertheless, standing totally naked in the snow at 15 degrees with a light breeze I was pleasantly comfortable, but so tired.  I knew I was in trouble now.

I had a pair of sweats in my car and a warm jacket.  I turned on the car and the heat full blast.  I soon started shivering uncontrollably.  

I rested for an hour and realized how close it had been, and what may have happened if I didn't get myself up while trapped on my back underwater in the icy river or if I had taken a nap.

I don't think a cell phone would have helped and was actually of no use as it was wet from being immersed, but I always carry it in case of a fall.

In spite of all this I never let go of my bow during the whole ordeal.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2010, 02:42:00 PM »
I carry my cell for the same reasons. My wife is happy that I carry it. I have never needed my safety harness but I always wear it. A little insurance can't hurt.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »
They are not very expensive, they take up very little space, and they are easy to use.

Offline leftybearfan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2010, 07:25:00 PM »
Never had an emergency while hunting that required assistance. I still like having my cellphone with me "just in case."

I look at it kind of like a safety harness, I've never needed and hope I never do....but I feel better knowing it's there.
"It's easier to do the right thing, than to explain why you didn't."

Offline greg fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2010, 07:59:00 PM »
I have mine, but it is usually n the bottom of my fanny pack.  Never know what I will need it for, but hope, if its ever needed, it is within reach.

Offline Big Bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2010, 08:06:00 PM »
I have heath Issues.so I would never hunt with out it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©