3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need some advice from you fathers..  (Read 1645 times)

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need some advice from you fathers..
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2010, 11:57:00 PM »
By all means let him shoot WHAT HE WANTS TO~ He will come around if meant to be. If not atleast he's who he is!
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2010, 11:59:00 PM »
I think that Garret(FEIK77) said it very well.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2010, 12:05:00 AM »
Let him shoot the compound....I have two sons who I let use the compound at first which built their confidence....Now they like the trad bow more...
Gotta give them time and please judt let them shoot no matter what bow they choose,
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline Renaissance Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2010, 12:24:00 AM »
When it comes to sons, which I have been very lucky to have two hunters, I think it is more about the experience and the time in the woods than about the weapon.
My second son has taken two nice bucks with his compound but loves shooting his longbow more. We go to shoots and shoot in the yard and that is what he likes. But he knows he is comfortably drawing a marginal weight for deer hunting with his longbow and I agree.
I have no doubt that when he is stronger, bow weight wise that is what he will hunt with.
And, and in my mind it is all good. You can hunt with a gun, bow, muzzle loader, whatever and still have the moments in the woods with your son. I cherish mine. Its not the weapon, its the bond with you and importantly for his future when you are not around, his respect and love for the woods and its creatures that you instill in him that will matter.
And that he will pass on with memories of you

Offline Pennsyltuckey pete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2010, 12:30:00 AM »
I have two daughters who both shoot.  One with a compound and one with a recurve.  They both enjoy the time.  There is no harm and no foul in shooting a compound.  Do not put it down.  No subtle hints that "trad" is better.  The key message is "Archery is fun"

pete
Love one woman, Many Bows

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2010, 12:33:00 AM »
At 10 years old he needs to do what he thinks is fun - even if that means a wheelie bow. Besides, the primative thing is not for everybody, Just take him out in the woods and let him shoot what he wants to. If he gets interested in sticks, you will be right there to show him the way.

Bisch

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2010, 01:14:00 AM »
I know how exciting it is to shoot traditional gear and you want to share it as much as possible.
 He'll come around eventually and if not, let him take the long shots out of the blind and you get the close ones.  ;)
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2010, 01:20:00 AM »
I just bought my 30 year-old son a compound for Christmas. It's a used one. He doesn't think he has time to practice enough with his recurve, but he'd like to try deer hunting with a bow. I'm pretty sure he'll get tired of the compound after a while and go back to trad archery like my youngest son and I. If not, who cares. If he is enjoying his time in the woods, the equipment is of lesser importance.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2010, 01:30:00 AM »
Wow, I've never seen so much bad advice in one place!! My son is 20 years old and has never shot anything but tradbows. If your son wants a compound then make him save and buy it out of his own funds.
  If your son plays little league baseball or peewee football, then ask him how he can throw the ball to his team mate without using sights??

Shooting a traditional bow is akin to throwing a football.Shoot more with him of an evening, couple hours in the backyard playing horse or other archery games makes it fun and interesting. Also don't always "win" let him "win" some, as it will build his confidence and bond you guys closer togather

I've read the posts that said let him do what he wants, it's about time spent ect...
  It's also about values and teaching your son that everything isn't supposed to be easy.Teaching him that he has to work at things to become successful is alot better in my opinon than teaching him that success can be bought!!
  Which when it comes down to it, is what your asking
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline blueslfb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2010, 05:12:00 AM »
I can't say anything that has not already been said.  My 6yr old son shot a longbow that I made him since he was 4 but then Grandma bought him a little compound at a garage sale. Don't sweat it if he wants to shoot the compound. He is still young and I think a big part of it is a compound shoots an arrow faster/farther than a trad bow of equal weight.  I know my son likes this fact and loves to go out and shoot with me.

I am not worried about it b/c he may want to shoot a trad bow later in life but if not no big deal.  Compounds are not evil regardels of what some on here may think.  If it keeps him shooting and interested in the sport and more importantly, shooting with Dad, then by all means let him do it. My.02cents.

Offline SveinD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2010, 05:28:00 AM »
Not that I'm a father, but I'll buzz in anyways!

As many have stated here, let him shoot the wheelie, and there's no reason the two of you can't stumpshoot for that reason.
But in the mean time, show him some footage of Byron Fergusons trick shots, or anyone elses for that matter.
Cause if i understand right, most of those shots cannot be done with a wheelie  :)
Might open his eyes some to what can be achieved just with some practice! Just keep his trad bow, and don't rub it in ^^
Centaur 58" Glass XTL 40@28

~Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand~ Kurt Vonnegut

Offline Mike Spaulding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2010, 08:45:00 AM »
I agree with all that say "let him shoot the compound".  As long as he still wants to shoot/hunt with you, you have it good!  Lets face it, most of us shot a compound at one time or another in our life then came back or to trad bows.. some still shoot both and that's ok too in my opinion.  It's all about likeing what your doing, this is supposed to be fun.   :thumbsup:

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2010, 08:48:00 AM »
Nothing wrong with compounds, I shoot them myself now & then.  Cultivate his interest by getting him a compound and encouraging him.  In due time he  may come around to Trad, or he may not.  Either way you get to spend quaility outdoor time with him and we all gain another member of the hunting lifestyle...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2010, 09:15:00 AM »
I know that this traditional archery, but it doesn't matter so much what they shoot, it is the fact they want to shoot, and are shooting.
We make many changes in through out our lives, keep setting the example, time will tell.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »
Let him try it I did,This Tuckers first bow
This is Tucker a year later
They grow out of the wheels and want to be like you trust me!
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Hit-or-Miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2010, 10:15:00 AM »
My son is 5, and although I started him on a hand me down fiberglass recurve @ 3, he teased for a compound. He spotted Fred Eichler on a hunting video using a compound, so he wanted one (Thanks Fred!). I was dissapointed, as I tried to steer him towards a recurve, but thought "well, he started off with training wheels on his bike, so what the hell!", so he got his compound for X-mass! Santa brought him a Bear Warrior wheel bow. He shot it that morning, loved it, and before our ham was out of the oven for our family get together at noon, he broke it. He must have twisted it at full draw, and the cables came off the wheels! What a frigging mess! My father and I could not figure out what went where, or how (cams, groves, multi cables, etc.).
  Another family member is going to fix it,as he has a bow press. I have turned this into a learning lesson, as I have explained to the boy how much more simple and durable traditional bows are, and that if this had happened up north during a hunt, his hunt would have been finished. With a recurve or longbow, it wouldn't have happened. I have a hunch that he will come around, sooner or later.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2010, 10:41:00 AM »
Trad bows are inherently more fun. Even big boys who shoot the latest technology, eye up every trad bow they see in action...wondering.

Just do your thing and include him in as much of it as possible.

He will see how much fun it is, and eventually he will follow your lead.

I spent alot of money buying two, mini, decked out compound bows for my two sons. They both started out with tiny trad type bows, and I figured they would want what the other kids had.
To my surprise, the compound bows just gathered dust.

You lead...they will follow.   :D

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2010, 10:46:00 AM »
I'll jump on the pig pile- let him shoot what he wants.

The main thing is the bonding experience.

And if you allow him the freedom of indepenence,  and respect his point of view even if it differs from your own, he will remain open to you because of that repect you showed his thinking and he will always consider your point of view in return, for you never "made" him think like you do.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »
Make it fun.  He'll follow your example on down the road.  When I was 15 I thought my dad was the dumbest man around.  By the time I was 19 it was amazing how much he had learned.  Just a thought, get him an ILF bow and stick a simple sight on it.  Then he can grow to different limbs and take the sight off on down the road.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline dpowers311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2010, 10:51:00 AM »
I tried to go the other way. My son who was 6 at the time had a black rino longbow and enjoys shooting it. I being the competitive person I am thought when he turns 7 I will get him a compound so he will have sights and release aid to help him shoot better. After talking with a shop owner who did the same thing I was trying to do, I found out it more important to let him have fun and shoot while he is young a miss is just that a miss nothing more.

bye the way my son said he did not want a compound he liked his bow and I should get one so we could shoot together. I will now be buying 2 trad bows. I just love him.

Dave
Bryan Holley Spirit Longbow
62" 50@28
Timberhawk Falcon
62" 48#@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©