3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best "traditional archery" ladder stand?  (Read 503 times)

Online Rando

• Trad Bowhunter
Best "traditional archery" ladder stand?
« on: January 02, 2010, 12:12:00 AM »
Gettin' to the point where I don't enjoy hanging & perching on hang-on stands... Find myself doing more hunting from the ground, but I'd like some input on what ladder stands you guys & girls have found that work well with traditional bows. Not looking for anything too huge or heavy.
thanks for any input.
Rando

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best "traditional archery" ladder stand?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 12:24:00 AM »
Loggy Bayou made a pretty nice on for a while, but haven't seen it this year.  I have a couple of Rivers edge that are pretty decent, a 17' extreme and another simpler model.  A flip up seat and platform that comes back to the tree are "must haves" for me.  The basic ladder stands have a solid seat and a tiny platform that even my little size 8's hang off the end of.  No Thanks!
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline SteveT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 06:24:00 AM »
I use Rivers edge stands and also have a dbl seated Rivers edge that works very well however it is heavy but i dont notice it ...i leave it up year round...with that said whatever you decide remember to buckle in...Steve

Offline dick sable

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 08:22:00 AM »
The Loggy Bayou bowhunter stand is excellent.  Would be a shame if they stopped making it - - I'm glad I have two.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 08:25:00 AM »
Rivers Edge Extreme 17 is my present favorite. Seat flips up and platform extends to the tree.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 08:34:00 AM »
Have too look at that one Shaun.  I tend to buy cheap and cuss them for years.  

Have a design and a welder available, I think we'll make some soon for our own use.

I need serious height availablity.  From about 6ft to 15.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 08:37:00 AM »
My favorite was made by Loc-on, but I think they must have discontinued it. It is made from tubular aluminum, weighs 20#, and is 12 feet to the seat. I've  had it for more than 20 years, and quite a few deer have been killed from it. For stands that I don't move often, I constructed ladder stands with seats and small platforms from treated wood. A few years ago I built a dozen of them and distributed them around my place. I can hunt a different stand every day that way, and not get patterned by the deer as easily. I use a pair of bicycle wheels mounted on a threaded rod to move them around.

If you use wood, use only pressure-treated material, and choose it carefully for straight grain and small knots. Pre-drill all holes and use deck screws made for treated wood. Anything else will be unsafe within a few years.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 08:51:00 AM »
Cabela's used to sell one with a flip up seat that was quite a bit cheaper than the Rivers Edge but I no longer see it in their catalog.  To me, the flip up seat is very important so that I can stand to shoot and be up tight against the trunk of the tree.  I always like to stand to shoot if at all possible, and I feel too exposed if I'm sticking out a foot or two away from the tree.
I need to pick up a couple more ladders this year.  Guess I'll be looking at the Rivers Edge.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 09:42:00 AM »
Big Game has a couple with flip up seats and big enough foot platforms so you can adjust your position easier and quietly if needed.

Offline BTW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »
Another nod for the loggy bayou bowhunter ladder stand. Flip up seat. Decent size platform and seat. Angled side bars. Solid stand.

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 11:02:00 AM »
Dicks sporting goods sells one that is 15' that the platform goes back to the tree and seat flips up , I buy the extension and extra tree brace to make it 20'. I try to set mine in BIG trees or double trunked trees. On the double trunk trees I set it so that the ladder is in contact with the extra tree trunk and use a rachet strap to add more sercurity . These go where I can sneek into quitely and put the ambush on deer, they only get hunted 3-8 times per year.

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 11:32:00 AM »
I had never hunted in a ladder stand with a flip-up seat until I hunted with Whip.....the flip-up seat is a MUST-HAVE IMO.

Hard to go wrong with spending just a little bit more for a stand that is roomy, solid construction, and nice comfortable fold up seat.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 11:40:00 AM »
Muddy outdoors makes an 18' archers ladder that has a sling seat that pushes back out of the way when you stand. It is rock solid and close to the tree. It is open with no rails to get in the way. It is worth checking out.

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 11:49:00 AM »
I bought an inexpensive one from Sportsmans Guide this year that was a two man model.  I bought it so my daughters coul sit with me.  I've shot from a single before, but found that the double was much better for my recurve and longbow to shoot from for having a larger shooting area.  Something you might want to consider.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 12:06:00 PM »
What about the Big Game Titan?  It has a lot of the features you all are talking about.
Gary Logsdon

Online Rando

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 12:08:00 PM »
Thanks all... been checking out the websites and I can see where the flip up seat and large platform would be a plus. I afford to buy a bunch of these so I'm hoping to find one (or two) that I can easily, quickly, and quietly move around. Assembled or disassembled.
FYI - In looking at Loggy Bayou's site they claim that their stands will only be available by ordering directly - no dealers.
Rando

Offline Tim Hoeck

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
Whats Loggy Bayou's website?

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2010, 08:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by BTW:
Another nod for the loggy bayou bowhunter ladder stand. Flip up seat. Decent size platform and seat. Angled side bars. Solid stand.
:thumbsup:
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline fisheye47

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2010, 03:34:00 AM »
Loggy bayou bowhunter is the best that I have found-I ordered mine directly  off of their website,via the phone number posted there.

Online Rando

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2010, 06:25:00 PM »
Tim,
Loggy's website is simply enuff:
 www.loggybayou.com/
Rando

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©