3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "The Best"?  (Read 1439 times)

"The Best"?
« on: January 02, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »
I am always struck by threads that ask about "the best" broadhead or "the best" R/D longbow, etc. Is there a "best" for everybody? No, is the answer. Most of us have spent a lot of time finding what combination works "best" for us. Occasionally we incorporate something new into our rig, just for interest's sake. So these threads just give everybody a chance to gas about their own stuff, right?
Besides, everybody knows that BW bows, wooden arras and woodsman heads are the best.....   :biglaugh:  

Happy New year Everybody!

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: "The Best"?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 09:03:00 AM »
It's nice to see another Trad-ganger with a great sense of humor.. really? BW? hahaha!! Osage selfbows are tops,as are all carbon shafts and stone tipped arrows... any archer worth his salt knows that...J/k

Happy New Year to you and all the rest of the "Trad-gang".

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 09:16:00 AM »
We all know the its not a Black Widow, but a longbow, wooden arras,and a 2 blade thats the best......   :biglaugh:  Right?
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »
Amen ! (the part about "best anything" )
ChuckC

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 09:43:00 AM »
Yall ever go out to eat with a group of folks.  Then you ask everybody what they are getting.  Sometimes you try something new, because someone else likes it, and it is real good.  Sometimes it is real bad.  It's kinda like that.  I typically ask others their opinion on stuff because there is so much stuff to try.  If it works for me great if not then I have had fun.  I love those threads until someone gets offended cause you don't like their way.  Therin lies the problem.  Take it all with a grain of salt, work the averages and enjoy the journey.  We're not here for long so let's have as much fun as possible.  Happy New Year and may God prosper and bless your home.  :campfire:
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »
How come when I got myself a new "Bow To End All Bows" back in 2002, thinking it was The Best out there, I now find it more fun and cost effective to buy used stuff on this site?

My Best Bow back then has now become too heavy, not quiet enough, and stays on the wall for months on end. Maybe I'll take her down for a dust off once in a blue moon... Maybe.   :rolleyes:  

Well... Thanks for lettin' me vent a little.

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 09:53:00 AM »
Hurry. .   we are in a "blue Moon" phase right now !
ChuckC

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »
I try to avoid anything that's best, or a system, or magnum, or guaranteed,  "for serious hunters," must have, etc.

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 10:17:00 AM »
I wonder if the Native Americans had these "best" topics come up around the fire or in sweatlodge?

"Gee, Two Dogs, whats the best shaft material?"

"I prefer river cane, Flying Beaver. That and I only use BLACK chirt for my heads---it so much easier to chip, not to mention the penetration characteristics."

"But Two Dogs, whats the spine weight of river cane as big around as my pinky finger?"
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 10:17:00 AM »
Mike, I have the NEXT bow to end all bow buying for you!  It doesn't have a name but is really expensive so it has to be good!  It's only 30lbs so I doubt it'll be too heavy.  Pm me I'll tell you all about it.   :saywhat:  

Of course if owned the company I wouldn't tell my customers this     :cool:  

Shoot what you like and enjoy every shot!  That's what makes this so great!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 10:19:00 AM »
The BEST of anything is in the eye of the beholder. I myself think Mudd is one good looking man. I also think I’m the best thing that ever happen to my wife. She has said that I’m better then nothing.
Bows and arrows in my book are the BEST if they don’t have wheels or a stock. There is no one thing BEST for everone
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 10:19:00 AM »
I've got the best bow I've ever had... for know!! Jason

Offline weezy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 10:21:00 AM »
The best is the one that just got the job done. Ha Ha
Bob
TRADITIONAL ARCHERY
It's been in my blood for 40 plus  years.
It's priceless!

Offline loco_cacahuate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 10:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by Spectre:
I wonder if the Native Americans had these "best" topics come up around the fire or in sweatlodge?

"Gee, Two Dogs, whats the best shaft material?"

"I prefer river cane, Flying Beaver. That and I only use BLACK chirt for my heads---it so much easier to chip, not to mention the penetration characteristics."

"But Two Dogs, whats the spine weight of river cane as big around as my pinky finger?"
and Two Dogs I have found that brown chert makes the best 3 blade.
Never drop your gun to hug a Grizzly.

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 10:37:00 AM »
Yep, I would bet that the Indians had such discussions.  When their lives and livelihoods depended on their bows and arrows, you can be sure they wanted the most effective.  I doubt that anyone around the camp fire said, "Two Dogs, that shaft material is just not traditional."   :readit:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by David MItchell:
Yep, I would bet that the Indians had such discussions.  When their lives and livelihoods depended on their bows and arrows, you can be sure they wanted the most effective.  I doubt that anyone around the camp fire said, "Two Dogs, that shaft material is just not traditional."    :readit:  
:biglaugh:
Gila hickory selfbow 54#

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
Who would have ever thought that this thread would get this kind'a responce.......excellent!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »
I just hope it can stay light hearted and with the "tongue in cheek" humor that this all started with. So far so good! At least I took the ladies post as a poke at the "best" of anything. Maybe she'll straighten me out if it ain't so.
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2010, 11:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mudd:
I just hope it can stay light hearted and with the "tongue in cheek" humor that this all started with. So far so good! At least I took the ladies post as a poke at the "best" of anything. Maybe she'll straighten me out if it ain't so.
God bless,Mudd
True dat. We wouldn't want to hurt anyones electronic sensibilities or anything.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2010, 12:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by David Mitchell:

:Yep, I would bet that the Indians had such discussions. When their lives and livelihoods depended on their bows and arrows, you can be sure they wanted the most effective. I doubt that anyone around the camp fire said, "Two Dogs, that shaft material is just not traditional." "

Wanna bet?????

Having read a good bit on native american culture, I expect they actually had stronger traditions of what to use for arrow or bow materials than we do.  Heck, some tribes would only cut bow wood a certain time of the year when the moon was in a certain phase.  Of course it was almost a religious thing as opposed to a tradition.

Besides human nature almost always has a defensive attitude about being the one who is right on a given subject.

Personally, I read some and skip some of the "best _______" type topics.  Sometimes they have some pretty good info.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©