3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Connection hinge?  (Read 689 times)

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
Connection hinge?
« on: January 02, 2010, 11:58:00 AM »
Anybody use this system.  I have never had a 2 peice bow.  I have decided I like one peice bows with locator type grips better than anything else and a 66" or 68" bow is harder to travel than a short bow.  So I'm gonna give a 2 peice a shot.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Connection hinge?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 12:00:00 PM »
I think Dick Robertson uses on his Longbows.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 12:34:00 PM »
I had one on a Morrison LB a few years ago, and it worked fine.  However, I have seen a few threads about their reliability or structural issues with some bows.  

I've never owned one with the bow bolt system, but it appears to be a favorite for 2-pc bows.
Lon Scott

Offline Ricker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 01:13:00 PM »
Have you ever looked at a "socket" type take down?  Cari-bow, Black Widow, Big Jim Bow Co....and more offer them.  You cannot tell they are a take down when they are put together.  Super strong too.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 01:27:00 PM »
I just installed the Connexion hinge on two bows in the past two weeks... well, three actually, if you count a practice run on an old riser.   I did a "hinge-along" presentation on my web site, for all three jobs...  practice run, a new bow and a conversion.   The material includes all my mistakes so you won't have to make them  8^)

www.oldpharttsarchery.com

just scroll down to the Bowmaking section and then "Using the Connexion Hinge".

I really like it.  It's very positive and strong and the installation is not difficult IF you follow the directions faithfully.   Main thing is that once that hinge is on, whether it be on a new build or a conversion, you NEVER take it off.  Use epoxy on the screws.   If you take it off, it's very hard to get the tension on each of the six screws exactly the same again, and it affects limb alignment.   Ask me how I know!   If you're aware of that though, it's really great.  

Oh, yeah.. it is for bows with fairly straight riser backs, not for those with real strongly curved risers.   On my straight longbows, it was a cinch.    Nerve wracking when I cut the only bow I've ever taken game with, though!
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 01:27:00 PM »
i have the connexion hinge on my mohawk and i love it - much better for me than any other 2pc t/d device.

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 01:35:00 PM »
I have owned a couple of Robertson's with the Connection Hinge system, Longbow and a Peregrine Recurve and both were solid, easy to assemble and take down.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »
Here's a couple of pix of the hinge on my bow:

I did the bow cut with a very thin Japanese draw saw and got a really thin curf.  I used a thin leather shim between the pieces, which works well.

I have a small hand, but still don't find the hinge at all bothersome in terms of grip.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Online GRAYBEARD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 02:21:00 PM »
I HAVE HAD TWO BOWS WITH THE CONNEXION SYSTEM. I FOUND IT TO BE UTTERLY RELIABLE AND NOT NOTICEABLE WHILE SHOOTING. NO PARTS TO LOSE IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE.
TGMM Family of the Bow; Make every heartbeat a party, the next one is not guaranteed!

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
Thanks Rob. That bow is likely my first 2 peice. Vince is great and I haven't found a quieter bow.

My thoughts exactly greybeard. Thanks guys.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Online freeman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 08:57:00 PM »
I used to have a Northern Mist Classic that utilized this takedown system. When strung, you couldn't tell the difference from a one piece. Didn't have it long enough to comment on durability, but have never heard a bad thing about them.

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »
No problems at all with my Mohawk two piece.  Don't really notice the connexion at all.

BOB
"There are some that can live without wild things, and some that cannot."  -  Aldo Leopold

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 11:41:00 PM »
When deciding on which two piece system to use, I settled on the carbon socket style because in my opinion it is superior.
Extremely strong, and no matter what, unless you take it apart, no one including the shooter will ever know it is a take down. No noise, no tools, no bumps in the handle, no seam in the grip.
I have people pick take them off the rack and shoot them and never have any idea they are two pieces. They ask why it is more expensive than some other bows on the rack and I have to explain and then show them that it is a take down. Also it can be in most any style of bow from highly reflex deflex, to straigt.
Every one of my personal bows has a td system like this and not one is under 86#'s. I looked at the conexion hinge and it looks good and I would have probably gotten used to it, but I didn't like the way it falls apart when not strung.
If you want to see what one looks like, take a look at my temporary web page. there are several there. All of the bows that have a beaver tail wrap have the td system and there is a pic or two of one taken apart.

Just my 2cents, Bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 02:05:00 AM »
How available are the carbon sleeves?  I've not seen them for sale anywhere.  Source?   Any webbed presentation of installation?  Are they formed on the bow, like the fiberglass sleeves, or installed more like the metal sleeves?
Dick in Seattle

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 07:52:00 AM »
They are the fiberglass sleves. Those that I am familiar with using it (including myself) utilize a couple of wraps of carbon within the handle. They are made on the bow utilizing carbon, fiberglass, and resin. Jack Harrison was producing a CD, but don't know what has come of that. Other than that, I am unfamiliar with any tutorial. I find the system to be fairly easy although teadious to install. Probably not the system for those wanting to convert a finished bow or to just do a couple. The materials can be cost prohibitive unless buying in quantity.

Bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 08:06:00 AM »
I had that TD system on a BW SAG & Schafer LB I once owned.  They were solid and I never had a problem with them when the bows were strung.

As BJ mentioned, I did not like how the bows "fell apart" when unstrung and I do not like the exposed metal "hook" when the bow is taken apart.

My Schafer had a "chip" taken out of and the side of the handle & the riser scratched to heck when the two halves happen to rub together one time transporting them from ON to FL on a hunt one year.  Made me sick to my stomach.  Beside the standard 3 pc set up, I only own the locket socket design on all of my 2 pc bows now.

Skinner
"Who's shooting the girly bow?" - My wife Vicki's comment to one of my X-bow hunting buddies.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 08:06:00 AM »
Big Jim,very nice indeed.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 08:19:00 AM »
bj, that glass/carbon socket system looks killer.  i like the way it allows the grip to be shaped as opposed to a tube socket system.  

it does seem to be much more difficult to create than installing a connexion hinge.  it would appear the socket needs to be crafted in as the bow is being built, as opposed to the connexion which can be installed on a working bow.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 09:40:00 AM »
I've built a hinged and two socket selfbows.If I had to hunt with a take down.I like the socket type bows.But I've never own or shot a glass take down.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 12:21:00 PM »
My Centaur has the hinge in it and I luv it but I've not had any other 2 pcs bows to compare.I've had many people not even notice it was a take down untill I took it down I'd buy another if in the market for a 2 pc system.Widow's locket socket seems nice too probably what Jim's talkin about I didn,t actually look.

Good luck
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©