3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Humbled today  (Read 369 times)

Offline inn8hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Humbled today
« on: January 02, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »
We started shooting our bows for the first time this week after meeting with Dave Dwyer. Well, I've shot a few arrows in my garage daily this week at about 8 yards length. I started seeing a pretty good group even though I was using my compound arrows and vanes. I was thinking I must be a NATURAL.

Well, today we went to the bow shop to pick up some GT traditional arrows with feathers and stayed to shoot for awile. My son Trey shot well, I on the otherhand was terrible.

There were other guys shooting so I was taking shots at 15 yards which of course with my compound is a "chip shot." NOT with this recurve - lol.

IT was a quick reminder to me that this will indeed not be an easy task.

Tim

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Humbled today
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »
Practice, practice practice. You will be amazed how good you can become. All you have is train your brain.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline SveinD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »
You will settle in nicely in a week or two^^
Centaur 58" Glass XTL 40@28

~Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand~ Kurt Vonnegut

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 07:07:00 PM »
Just some more practice in getting your personal "firing computer" calibrated and you'll be fine.  just don't get into a hurry......take your time, pick you spot, and after a bit, those 15 yarders will be chip shots  :readit:
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 07:13:00 PM »
focus and be committed to it and it will reward you.relax and remember the basics
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »
If it was easy we'd be doing something else, because the challenge would be missing. The harder something seems, the more satisfaction when it comes together. Enjoy the ride, it's worth every moment.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
Get some arrows matched to your bow and keep at the short yardage and pay attention to form. then increase as you can but do not rush it. in my opinion the best practice will be roving in the field. one bow,one arrow.  Your bain will take over soon and you will be amazed. as said above.
Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Grayseas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
There will be good days, and not so good days. Hopefully more good than not so good days.   :thumbsup:
Eli
74 lb Shrew Safari
65 lb Fedora
62 lb Black Widow
60 lb Bamboo Viper
52 lb Bear Hunter TD

Offline Broken Arrow 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »
Keep your mind focused and remember why you are doing it. Good luck and I'm sure we will be reading your post of your first trad kill!!
Its not the size of the animal you hunt that matters. Its how you hunt the animal.

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
Best things never come easy, but man you just can't beat this. You'll be addicted soon enough.

Offline 8leg-lover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 08:39:00 PM »
Remember: "Perfect practice makes perfect"

Carl
Carl Kossuth

"Currently shooting whatever strikes my fancy"

"PERFECT practice makes perfect"

Offline Dean Lintz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
Keep with it trad archery is like a drug when you see improvement you want more and more. I have been shooting trad for less than a year.
Can't get enough.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 08:59:00 PM »
2 Tracks nailed it, IMO. I shot for too many years with mis-spined arrows and wondered about those "flyers".  Turned out I was shooting weak spined arrows.

Matching arrows to bow, tuning properly..Wow! Now it's all me when they go awry. 15 years later an it's still amazing when I see the nock where I was lookin!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Chuck Hoopes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 09:17:00 PM »
I was playing golf w/ an 88yr. old man--who said to me: " Golf is like sex, you don't have to be good at it to have fun!"  Sheesh, forgot what I was going to say, but you get my/his drift.-- Have fun, its a continuing process--theres not a guy/gal out there that is not trying to learn to shoot a bow, better-- B.Ferguson included.-- its the whole fun thing about it, it will always be there--Like golf there's no Mastering it.  :cool:

Offline inn8hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 08:53:00 AM »
Thanks all. I am not too worried as I'm only a week into it, just surprised the difference a little bit of difference can make - lol.

I think I have a pretty poor release at the moment and need to get some good information on that. I don't think I'm smooth at the release at all.

Tim

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 09:01:00 AM »
Go back to the 8 yards and practice shooting from there until you get your form together. Then start scooting back a couple yards at a time. 15 yards is a to far for a beginner(IMO) and will only discourage more than help you. Start small and eventually you will be x ringing at 15. Good luck!
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©