3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2006 MOJAM Hatchet Bow Challenge  (Read 5079 times)

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2006 MOJAM Hatchet Bow Challenge
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2007, 09:33:00 AM »
To top...won't be long now   :bigsmyl:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2007, 09:57:00 AM »
I got too many hatchets and not enough time...is cedar a "white wood"...  :confused:

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2007, 10:21:00 AM »
Besides take a hatchet to a piece of wood,and chop away everything that doesn't look like a bow.....

Can anyone provide some more "elaborate" instuctions?????

(hints,pointers,and suggestions,would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!)

I haven't built a bow since I was about 8 years old,and most of those didn't last till dinner time!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2007, 02:22:00 PM »
instructions? LOL pretend you're an abo with a hatchet and need to make a bow

seriously  I can tell you how I did mine a few years ago. I used an osage shoot. Chopped it off in the spring and chopped to length plus a little. Set it aside to dry. As it dried it started to split. Stuck my hatchet blade in the split and beat the end of the shoot on the ground until it split all the way. Used my hatchet blade as a scraper and removed the bark. Using a chopping motion starting at the tip and working my way back toward the handle I narrowed the limbs width wise to an even taper.(working in that direction allows you to remove less wood as you go) Then again using a chopping motion starting at the tip I started thinning the limb as I worked toward the handle.Once I got it bending at "ground tiller" ha ha I used the hatchet as a scaraper again to fine tune the tiller. You can chop V nothces for the nocks or pin nocks. You can hang the bow on a limb stub and pull on the string to check tiller or just sit and put your foot on the handle and pull the string to judge tiller.I didn't win (got 3rd) but it was fun and you'll be suprised how nice of a bow you can make with just a hatchet.

http://residents.bowhunting.net/sticknstring/mj2002m.html
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2007, 02:27:00 PM »
How to make a string (but remember you must cut the strands from the spools with your hatchet)

http://residents.bowhunting.net/sticknstring/string.html

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2007, 07:22:00 AM »
Don't forget that you are also allowed a chunk of beeswax too for the string and to rub on the bow.As I recall they also allow a file to keep your hatchet sharp but you can't use it for the nocks or anything else.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©