3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who hunts their "pretty" bows?  (Read 2179 times)

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who hunts their "pretty" bows?
« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2010, 06:08:00 AM »
Why buy a bow if your not gonna put it through the punishment of use. I like good looking bows but I use them all the same. I never worry about resale I buy them for me.

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2010, 09:44:00 AM »
I have bought very few ugly bows.  I take all that I own, for whatever period of time, to the woods.  Even though I like the beauty of the woods, I like even more so the beauty of the shooting qualities of a bow.  And if it has great shooting qualities, it is a hunting bow, IMHO.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: January 08, 2010, 11:13:00 AM »
Pretty bows are sort of like pretty canoes.  A guy I know worked in an outdoor store that sold canoes and kayaks.  He sold a new one to a guy who promptly took it out to a gravel parking lot, tied it to the back of his truck and drug it all over the lot for a while--said he would be laughed off the river if he showed up to meet his kayaking friends with a spotless, scrath free boat   :cool:  I don't buy a bow I would not take to the woods.  Once they get a scratch or two I can stop worrying about that first one.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Nook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: January 08, 2010, 11:47:00 AM »
A bow Is not "Pretty" If it Does not Hunt!!

My Shafer Longbow Last Fall:

My Blacktail recurve in Iowa a couple of years ago:

Jeff
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: January 08, 2010, 01:38:00 PM »
You guys hunt in your tennis shoes?  I mean...why own a pair of tennis shoes if yer not gonna hunt in em?????

You guys all hunt in your black dress pants??  I mean...why own a pair of black dress pants if you ain't gonna hunt in em?????

You guys all gut deer with a paring knife????  I mean...why own a paring knife if you ain't gonna gut a deer with it???
Otto

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: January 08, 2010, 07:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Otto:
You guys hunt in your tennis shoes?  I mean...why own a pair of tennis shoes if yer not gonna hunt in em?????

You guys all hunt in your black dress pants??  I mean...why own a pair of black dress pants if you ain't gonna hunt in em?????

You guys all gut deer with a paring knife????  I mean...why own a paring knife if you ain't gonna gut a deer with it???
Lol I do hunt in tennis shoes (so did Fred Bear) when the weather is right; I would wear my gray wool pants to work if I could stand the heat; and I have used my hunting knives to trim spots off my apples.

What else ya got?

:bigsmyl:

Offline RidinMyK2PastU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: January 08, 2010, 07:32:00 PM »
I do hunt with my "pretty" bow. That bow is my sidekick, I want to take it everywhere. It has acquired some scratches, but I do my best to keep those to a minimum. When I notice a new scratch, it does hurt the heart a little.

Offline m'gobo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: January 08, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »
I don't own an ugly bow. lol

also, I wouldn't own a bow with anything but clear glass on it. The way I see it, why get a wood bow if yer gonna hide the wood under black glass? JMO

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: January 08, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
I've got a PLGA that I just can't bring myself to take out in the brush and rain.
I shoot this bow as good or better than any other I have and enjoy shooting it in the yard and at the range.
Guess I'm going to have to pick up a PL11.
John

Offline rxhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: January 08, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »
I love to hunt with my pretty bow---it would be bad mojo not to utilize a tool that is that pretty and also that functional. And we all know that you just cant allow bad mojo in!

Hunt in my tennis shoes---check
Hunt in my brown dockers--check
pairing knife---well no--I use my pretty home made hunting knife.
lol

Offline Clint B.

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: January 08, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »
In the olden days B.C. (before compounds), bows were made with colored fiberglass limbs and laminated exotic wood risers with a high-gloss finish. Since camo limb tape & socks were heavy (especially when socks got wet), many of us (possibly most of us?) sprayed the limbs on our hunting bows with flat colored paint. Back then, painting your bow was a sign that you were serious about bowhunting.

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: January 08, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »
You mean...kinda like this???

Otto

Offline oldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: January 08, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »
I still love that bow Otto
CHX 58in 44@28 CHX 58in 52@28

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: January 09, 2010, 12:05:00 AM »
Now there's a huntin' bow.   :thumbsup:

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: January 09, 2010, 10:54:00 AM »
The only bow I own that I would not hunt with is an old 1940's era Ben Pearson longbow. I just don't know if it will still  be safe to shoot regularly. Otherwise, I have no problem taking all my bows in the woods, because I agree that they are working tools as well as works of art. They should be used in whatever role the hunt calls for. Just this past season, I steppd on a copperhead in the woods, and out of sheer panic  reaction used my Wesley Special as a war club - it performed well in that role, too. Point is, use the bows and hunt hard. Then, if they just get too beat up, refinish them. Cherished memories are far more precious than a beautiful bow finish. After all, the bow finish can be restored. Missed memories are lost forever. (By the way, the snake encounter is a definte long term memory event).
Sam

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: January 09, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »
They didn't turn out that pretty, Otto   "[dntthnk]"  I now figure if an animal can see my bow they have already seen me 'cause I'm a whole bunch bigger than my skinny little bow so I don't bother with painting them any more...Dave
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: January 09, 2010, 11:18:00 AM »
I hunt with pretty bows and pretty arrows. LOL They were made to hunt.

"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline Quinn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: January 18, 2010, 11:33:00 PM »
I had a hard time taking my pretty new Toelke Chinook hunting, hated the thought of messin' it's pretty looks BUT it's a bow and it's  needs to be hunted.
"If you put the federal government in charge of the  Sahara Desert , in five years there'd be a shortage of sand."   ~ Milton Friedman

Offline LA Trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: January 18, 2010, 11:53:00 PM »
Yeah, you try not to bang them up, but they were made to hunt. That's the way I look at it.  

Billy
Lifetime Member Bayou State Bowhunters
Lifetime Member Louisiana Traditional Bowmen

The path of least resistance is what makes men and rivers crooked.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: January 19, 2010, 01:17:00 AM »
What woods to use, based on their looks, is the my first decision in building a bow, and I use only clear glass to show it off.   I don't have any bows to hunt with that I don't think are pretty.  8^)
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©