3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who hunts their "pretty" bows?  (Read 2181 times)

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who hunts their "pretty" bows?
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2010, 11:49:00 PM »
Not hunting a pretty bow, is like leaving a Ferrari in the Garage, or not sleeping with a gorgeous woman because their too pretty.  Ain't no such thing as a bow to pretty to hunt in my book.  My only longbow is gorgeous and I hunt it hard.  My next one will be even prettier.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2010, 11:51:00 PM »
I hunt my only bow, my silvertip!! Jason

Offline fido dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2010, 12:12:00 AM »
Originally posted by Gary Logsdon:
"Pretty bows" deserve to travel to pretty places:^)

Best quote EVER for this topic!    ;)

I recently got a "Pretty" bow and slipped on a bit of ice on my second hunt. I dinged the tip a bit and put a couple of small scratches in the top limb. At first I was pissed off. Then it changed to these are each going to be memories of a great time. Now I look at them with adoration.

A note on the Ferrari thing. I knew a guy in San Diego that had an '88 Testarossa. That's the year Enzo Ferrari died. He drove it EVERYWHERE!

My bow is Cocobolo and her name is....Testarossa (redhead in Italian).
A politician who acts foolishly may NOT be acting!

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2010, 01:15:00 AM »
i think you should take great care of your pretty  bows, be carefull not to mess them up....................while they are in the woods and rocks.

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2010, 01:34:00 AM »
I've pretty much convinced myself that the key to hitting a target is plenty of wear and tear on my bows, so anywhere I go, they go...

:bigsmyl:
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2010, 01:55:00 AM »
ugly...beautiful...they're just labels...
Your Chicken from McDonald's, Tyson Foods, or Perdue Farms spent most of it's life stuffed in a cage with three or four others, occupying a space about the size of a book page...None for me, thanks...

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2010, 04:56:00 AM »
They are born to hunt let them live!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Wolfkiss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2010, 06:14:00 AM »
what cacciatore says, just got a blackdouglas super swift and when I get the limbs back it will be dragged through the woods like my other bows,
dragged is probably the wrong word but if it picks up a ding or two it will remind me of where I have been with it.

I did choose it for its lines but more importantly for me, the way its going to launch an arrow.

Have a great new year everyone.
Hunting was hazardous, but at least it guaranteed the freedom of the individual.

There is no doubt that the onset of farming saw the end of leasure for the majority of people, who were destined to toil in the fields.

Offline yamaharider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2010, 12:23:00 PM »
Don't beat them, but use them.  I have a Thunder Mountain longbow from Jerry Barr, model is a Coyote, put a good ding in the riser so I inlayed a coyote tooth and it looks even better!
PSAV

"The older I get, the better I was"

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »
It's for hunting, but then I don't try to abuse any of my tools.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2010, 01:33:00 PM »
I buy my bows to hunt and shoot with I just try to take care of them. Widow

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2010, 01:57:00 PM »
A bow without some scratches is either new or is not being given its proper due as a bow.  Scratches are like scars; each has a tale to tell, and to cover them up, or avoid them altogether, is to deprive that bow of doing what it was made to do.

Frankly, some of those gaudy, swirly woods make me half dizzy and are not attractive at all.  It seems that more and more, bowyers are having to out-do each other with fancy woods and veneers...stripes, Pierce Points, et al.  That's okay if you like it, but it's still a bow, not an art print to hang on the wall.  

And what's this ever popular sending the bow back after two years of use to get it refinished?
What the ?????.  Guess I'm getting old, but I like my bows to be like me; a little rough around the edges....some scratches and wrinkles, but able to carry on with what it was intended to do.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »
if iwas lucky enough to  own  any  nice looking bow i would hunt with it.  in other words whats the point in haveing one if ya dont shoot it.  :biglaugh:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2010, 02:48:00 PM »
HAAAAAAAAAAAA, George cracks me up . . . but he's right:^)
Gary Logsdon

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2010, 02:54:00 PM »
my buddy came bear hunting with his perfect blacktial that bow decended 1000 feet in a couple seconds, skipping ontop the brush all the way down, the thing is absolutly covered in scratches, instead of sadness we have had laughes for years, that is probably the best story of the trip besides the bear that bow shot

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2010, 03:41:00 PM »
My buddy had a beautiful Fred Anderson longbow that he forgot and left on top of his Blazer as he put his stuff back in his rig to drive home.  Just after getting on the highway he heard it sliding off the top of the car.....too late.  It was still strung, bounced a few times on the road and got run over by the car behind him.  You bet it had some scars but otherwise none the worse for the wear so he just wrote a new name on it..."Roadkill" and kept enjoying it without having to worry about it any more...  :)
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2010, 03:44:00 PM »
All my bows are used to hunt with, no wall hangers in my home.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2010, 03:57:00 PM »
Man, I'd like to hang out with George!! Jason

Offline wisconsin wood butcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2010, 07:59:00 PM »
ooohhhh yes.. it is my bow

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2010, 08:30:00 PM »
Well, I guess I'll go contrary to the majority. I nearly always have 5-10 bows on the wall but only hunt with a couple.  The two hunters  are also very pretty and I shoot them well. So, I'm certainly not against hunting with a fancy bow. I use every one my bows in casual shooting, no permanent wall-hangers.  But, I see no reason to drag every pristine bow I own through the Rocky Mtns, beating them all to heck when I have I have a fine pair of very reliable hunters that I have great confidence in. Just another point of view.  :campfire:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©