3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who hunts their "pretty" bows?  (Read 2177 times)

Online fishone

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who hunts their "pretty" bows?
« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2010, 02:31:00 PM »
I have some great looking bows that I hunt with. I treat my bows like I treat my diesel dodge truck. I use them both but take extremely good care of them. They are too expensive to ding or beat up. It makes me sick when I put a scratch/dink on a bow or the truck. That's just me!

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2010, 03:04:00 PM »
Quinn's aren't ugly...Ghillie suits are ugly 8^).

It don't make any good sense at all why someone would buy a bow, then not shoot it because it was too pretty.  Good grief.  Let that car in the garage son, it's too purty to drive.

Offline Pete Patterson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2010, 03:35:00 PM »
Twenty miles down the road toward home I realized my Hill Redman wasn't in the Wrangler.  Eighteen miles back toward the WMA in the gravel forestry road where it slid off the top of my Jeep was the Redman.  I don't put bows on top of vehicles anymore but I still hunt with any and all bows I own.
....and lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the age. Matt 28:20

Offline Dave Thaxton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2010, 03:49:00 PM »
Hunt with them all. They are just a tool
64"55@28 Kohannah Flatbow
60"53@28 Robertson Peregrine
68"45@28 Howard Hill Redman

Offline doowop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2010, 03:55:00 PM »
Hey George, I hunt in a Ghillie also!!!

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2010, 04:09:00 PM »
idk..I would consider the cost, I had to save up alot to get my kanati, so once I got it I treasured it, tried to avoid any pointless dings as much as I could, and I think of the work the bowyer put into it for me, just gives me more reasons to take care of this great bow

Offline shadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2010, 04:50:00 PM »
Bows are made for using. I wouldn't own a bow that I wouldn't hunt with. If you want to protect it from some of the scuffs and scratches associated with hunting, buy a set of limb skins and put them on the bow. I usually hunt with a Blacktail, so that should tell you how I feel about hunting with pretty bows.

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »
Me,
I love the look of exotic woods with beautiful grain. They are estetically pleasing to my eye, but I would never dream of putting it up to look at. To me, traditional Archery is all about hunting, and I personally wouldn't own one that I couldn't shoot. I can understand those who keep really expensive bows, or really rare ones out of the woods and off the rocks, they WILL eventually get dinged.
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2010, 05:00:00 PM »
Hmmm. Out of my stable, I don't have one that fits the description. If they're too pretty, I paint them.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »
Yeah, I have a couple that I don't hunt with.  Neither of the Copperhead Widows get hunted with as I cannot bear the thought of dragging them up the side of a tree in the dark, clanging the skins off a tree strep and putting a big gouge in them.

OTOH I have a couple of "huntin Widders" that If I drop em against a rock in the crick and put a big gouge in em...eh...no big deal.  Some things are nice to play with and others are tools.

Cars are the same way.  I don't haul dead deer in the BMW.  I have a truck for that.  Although I did haul one in a Honda but Hondas ain't real cars anyhow.....
Otto

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »
As with fine rifles, fine shotguns and fine bows, a weapon unused is a useless weapon.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
Never had a car I wouldn't haul a deer in either, although my wife has been agitating for one "to keep nice". She's not into tools.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Backquiver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
No bow is too pretty to hunt with, just adds a little character and karma.

Good luck,

Backquiver

Offline T-Mac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
Someday, long from now I hope, I plan to pass along my bows to grandchildren or children or somebody that means something to me now. I figure the fact that it may be dinged or scratched and well used will mean something to the people that recieve them. Especially if they happen to have been along when the event occurred. Besides that's what I bought it for.
Slow down and enjoy life.  It's not only the scenery you
miss by going too fast - you also miss the sense of where
you are going and why.
-   Eddie Cantor

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2010, 09:29:00 PM »
I have several "Pretty" bows.. I would and do hunt with all of them.  However, I do have one, a Silvertip with very light colored, quilted maple veneers.... it seems way too light of color to blend in well with the woods, so it does not see as much action. Maybe skins are the answer for that one or trade for darker limbs?

Gene  :wavey:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline Squirrelbane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »
I think my old bear K mag is purty  :D

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: January 07, 2010, 04:55:00 PM »
I took my Zipper on every hunt this year. Like Bill Dunn says: Life is too short to shoot an ugly bow. Or hunt with one either.  :biglaugh:  

Bill

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: January 07, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »
Just like my Truck, I am going to see how many "miles" I can put on this Voodoo. Dug this deer out of the briars and the bow held up better than my skin. By the looks of the scar tissue the bow needs to catch up in the character department!

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: January 07, 2010, 06:52:00 PM »
nice deer way to go  :clapper:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2010, 01:29:00 AM »
why own a Pretty bow if your not going to hunt it ,,treat mine all the same if there not durable enough to hunt with get rid of it ,way nicer shooting and killing somthing with your boe gives it good mojo and karma   :readit:
Gord

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©