3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Serving tool question.  (Read 1256 times)

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Serving tool question.
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2010, 10:25:00 AM »
Excelent info Rob!!!

I guess I was doing it right, but didn't know why.  This helps.

Offline DngrsDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
AkDan made a comment about the wobble of the spool on the shaft, so I checked how mine is, and, sure enough, it wobbles. Which got me to thinking about what I could put in as a bearing like Ak said.

After thinking about it for a while I got up and shut off the smoke alarm, it was very distracting.     :knothead:    

I ran across a couple of empty magnetic bobbin spools I happened to have at home with me, and tried to fit one of them in the end of the spool. It was an ALMOST but NOT QUITE fit.     :banghead:  

Never one to let an idea die from loneliness I checked to see if I had a drill bit the size of the bobbin spool.

Fortunately for my original idea it turned out to be a 3/8th bit that worked and the idea survived another day.     :D  

I drilled, at high speed, into the end of the server spool from both sides and the bobbin spool slid right in pretty as ya please.

And here's the original bolt back in place, through the new nylon washers, through the two spools, waiting for the rest.

Surprisingly Murphy must of been causing grief in some other poor souls life for a change, because the bolt fit PERFECTLY through the spools. I'm going to fix it up like Rob showed now with the bent washers and bearings. I'd also like to find a thumbscrew bolt to replace the wingnut.

The server spool spins without a hint of wobble, very smooth travel.

Heck, may end up I like it after all.

If any of ya want a couple of those spools, I throw 'em away by the dozens daily.
~*OK....try guessin' what I do fer a livin'. Give ya'll a hint-it involves lots of threads, bobbins, and logos.*~     :biglaugh:
If something seems too good to be true it’s best to shoot it, just in case. … Fiona on “Burn Notice”

Offline DngrsDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2010, 11:11:00 PM »
***LATE EDIT***
I have been experiencing MAJOR computer problem (Guess Murphy ain't fergottin' me after all) and have had to re-boot several times trying to get this posted.    :banghead:      :eek:  

Here's everything put together using washers and spring as a tensioner.  

It feels MUCH more consistent and smooth now, no wobble, no jerkiness when pulling on the string-a steady tension through the whole pull.

Now I gotta make up another string to try it on.
If something seems too good to be true it’s best to shoot it, just in case. … Fiona on “Burn Notice”

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2010, 05:20:00 AM »
lookin' really great, dan!  i suspect you've got a winner there!    :thumbsup:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by LBR:
I use Cajun serving tools--got 50 or so.  I replace the bolt with a longer one and add a few fender washers for a little extra weight.  They are dang near bomb-proof (still using my first ones)and the tension is more adjustable than any I've used.  They aren't the cheapest, but aren't too expensive either.
Those are the same servers I use. As I recall, Bohning used to make them, or at least sell them under their name.

I've tried a lot of other servers over the years, but none that I've liked as much as the Cajuns.

Offline thunder1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2010, 10:40:00 AM »
That's great idea JRY309
No man ever stood so tall as when he stooped to help a child

David

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2010, 10:45:00 AM »
Same here JRW.  This has been an interesting thread, but I don't like to tinker nearly as much as some folks.  The only modifications I've needed (well, didn't actually require them, I just like it) was adding some extra weight to the tool.

I don't know who makes them now.  I was getting mine through BCY, but they quit carrying them.  Last time I ordered a bunch of extras, just in case, although I've yet to wear out my first one.  I like to have a separate serving tool for each different spool of serving--different colors, different sizes, different types.....if I counted correctly, I've got 38 in use right now, all Cajuns.

Chad

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2010, 10:51:00 AM »
i've had a few cajuns, they're quite good.  my fave is still the cavalier, with added washers and/or a spring.  whatever works.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2010, 11:55:00 AM »
Chad,

I picked up an extra Cajun server last year from The Nocking Point. He has them listed on his web site as "Serve Tite Server with wheel" for $10.50. If you Google "serve tite serving jig," you'll find a few other retailers who sell them.

I only have two in use (I know, I'm a slacker), one for center serving and one for end serving.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2010, 12:20:00 PM »
That's the problem with finding them--you never know what the dealers are calling them!

Think I have 20-25 extras right now, so hopefully I'll be good for a while.

Offline Greg Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2010, 04:19:00 PM »
This has been an interesting thread, in that it tells me I have built literally dozens of strings over the last 17 years and served the centers from the wrong direction (never had even one come unravelled either).  I have one of the "Cajun" servers and have never had any of the problems as described here in this thread.  I guess some things in life are just dumb luck after all.  I learned how to twist Flemish strings about that long ago from a demonstration given my Dave Doran (Archery Past)and have never had any problems of any kind (slippage, creeping from skinny strings, etc.) At least now I know how to do it correctly. Thanks for the info.
And in the end of our exploring we shall return to the place where we started and know that place for the first time.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2010, 05:21:00 PM »
do i detect a bit of sarcasm in yer post, greg?     :saywhat:  

anyhoo, good to hear yer wrong doing can be so right - for you.

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »
Greg, don't believe everything you read!  ;)

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
Chad,

20-25 extras? Geez! I thought I liked to stock up on things. If I ever need another serving jig, I'm going to give you a call.   :biglaugh:

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
Greg,

Wrapping the center serving top-down or bottom-up doesn't make a lick of difference one way or the other. The only thing that's important is that the serving tightens, instead of loosens, as you twist the string.

Personally, I always apply my center servings from the top-down (no particular reason, I suppose). I've neer had a problem with a Cajun server either.  ;)

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2010, 11:50:00 PM »
Dan, did the spool washers help?  I was hoping to find some cylinder bearins this weekend and give that a go.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2010, 11:56:00 PM »
Chad,

20-25 extras? Geez! I thought I liked to stock up on things. If I ever need another serving jig, I'm going to give you a call.  
You'd think it was overkill, but........I'd ordered 25 extras before the last batch, and wound up using or selling every blasted one of them.  May not have as many as I think right now--I haven't counted lately.

If you need one, just holler.  I get a better deal ordering them in bulk.  :bigsmyl:

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2010, 06:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jason R. Wesbrock:
Greg,

Wrapping the center serving top-down or bottom-up doesn't make a lick of difference one way or the other. The only thing that's important is that the serving tightens, instead of loosens, as you twist the string.

Personally, I always apply my center servings from the top-down (no particular reason, I suppose). I've neer had a problem with a Cajun server either.   ;)  
exactly what jason sez.  you can serve top limb to bottom if you properly reorient the serving jig.  

as i've said elsewhere in this thread, if you center serve in the wrong direction, and the serving is tight, with a drop of glue at each whipped end, all should be well.  Even though your bowhand fingers are providing pressure on the wraps that want to make them unravel.

but, why not do it right from the get-go?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2010, 01:37:00 PM »
Rob,

I have to say that I've never before heard of anyone serving bowstrings specifically for right- or left-handed shooters. I remember when every archery shop and sporting goods store sold bow strings in tubes (Bear and Martin strings mostly), and don't remember ever seeing "right-" or "left-handed" on the packages. As a matter of fact, prior to this thread, I’ve never heard anyone say that hand orientation is a determining factor in serving direction.

What I tried to convey in my previous post (possibly unsuccessfully), is that being right- or left-handed, or serving top-down or bottom-up, are irrelevant in and of themselves. The only thing of importance with respect to serving direction is the twist of the string itself (whether you twist the end loop clockwise or counterclockwise to shorten the string).

If shooting right- or left-handed causes a center serving to come loose, it probably wasn’t wrapped very well to begin with.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2010, 01:46:00 PM »
yep, that was my point as well, only i didn't phrase it properly ...

the center serving should be served on so that when the archer's bowhand grips and pulls the string, the serving coils are actually tightened.

if you were around in the 60's, you'd know just where i'm coming from - the mono center servings we used would literally spring off the string if they were served in the wrong direction, if weren't glued down at the ends, if they were showing signs of wear .... boooiinngggg!  :D

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©