3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Serving tool question.  (Read 1257 times)

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Serving tool question.
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2010, 02:01:00 PM »
Oh, I remeber mono servings. I remember cursing them too. Sometimes fishing line should just be left on fishing reels.   ;)

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »
FYI, Jason, back in the '80s in Traditional Archery magazine, there was a gentleman who advertised with serving direction, dependent on right or left hand.

Someone always comes up with gimmicks to sell something!

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2010, 03:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by frank bullitt:
FYI, Jason, back in the '80s in Traditional Archery magazine, there was a gentleman who advertised with serving direction, dependent on right or left hand.

not a gimmick, a fact.  

if the center serving is spiraled on in a direction that's contrary to your fingers movement on that serving, the tendency is to loosen the serving.  pure physics, not pure bs.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline DngrsDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2010, 03:54:00 PM »
Rob,
I can see it's really not a gimmick. Yes, makes sense to have the serving going in the direction you'll twist the string when gripping it.

Sooooo.....if I am serving from left/right-bottom/top then I would be standing on the off side from the arrow rest if the bow is fastened down on it's back, and the serving tool would have the serving string on the far side of the string when it is suspended from the string-on my side on top of the string.

Gosh archery is hard!   :biglaugh:
If something seems too good to be true it’s best to shoot it, just in case. … Fiona on “Burn Notice”

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2010, 04:26:00 PM »
I suppose if a company can sell hunters little packages of deer poop, anything's possible. Either way, a little humor is good for the soul.    :biglaugh:

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2010, 04:27:00 PM »
actually that is shown in a couple of the string building videos.   How to serve so you are tightneing not loosening the serving.....you're not THAT old Rob  ;)

ok ok..yes you are  :D

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2010, 05:01:00 PM »
dan,

i've found that for a right handed archer, serving from the bottom limb side on up just feels more natural.  the few times i tried it from the top limb down towards the bottom limb, going from right to left, it just felt awkward - but it will correctly lay down the spirals as long as the spool direction is from under to over.  it's not really the side that counts, it's the direction the thread gets served on to the bowstring.  

"Sooooo.....if I am serving from left/right-bottom/top then I would be standing on the off side from the arrow rest if the bow is fastened down on it's back, and the serving tool would have the serving string on the far side of the string when it is suspended from the string-on my side on top of the string."

ummm, now i'm cornfused and it don't take much for that to happen these dayze!  here's a cut from the skinny string vid that shows the center serving, 25meg file, hope this helps ...

www.tradgang.com/videos/rob/es1x.wmv

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »
Rob, I think you misunderstood, stop and think about a flemish twist string. If I make them one direction, I would need to serve,so like guys say with the twist, so when shortened the serving stays tight!

I don't twist strings left and right!

when you make an endless string, after done do you twist it up left or right? And why. With an endless you can go either way  :biglaugh:

That's just wrong!

Good shootin, Steve!

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2010, 07:41:00 PM »
firstly, 'frank bullitt', you have a pm already waiting for you.

secondly, clearly i see you just don't get it.  perhaps it's my fault for not explaining it well or at all.  

in any case, respectfully, yer wrong.  

endless strings do need to have some twist in them to 'round off' and you ALWAYS twist with regards to which hand pulls back the string.  the same is perfectly true for flemish strings.  

in both cases of string twist, or of serving twist, your bowstring hand will either look to tighten the twist or remove it.    

in any event, you enjoy and keep the faith in your way of building strings.

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »
Rob, didn't say that endless strings don't get twisted, but, factory stings, are served in one direction! They don't know if your right or left handed when you buy them!

You, yourself said your coRnfused :biglaugh

Good shootin, Steve

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2010, 08:15:00 PM »
 Rob, didn't say that endless strings don't get twisted, but, factory stings, are served in one direction! They don't know if your right or left handed when you buy them!

because they could care less and that's why you buy superb custom bowstrings from good folks like chad @ champion bowstrings.

You, yourself said your coRnfused :biglaugh

i'm not laughing or even smiling - and i'm not at all confused about how to correctly build flemish and endless bowstrings.  i sold custom bowstrings for decades and have lost count of how many i've spun up.

your understanding about string and serving twist is just wrong and will only confuse newbies to string making.  i suggest you stop perpetuating nonsense.

good bowstring making to you.

Good shootin, Steve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2010, 08:52:00 PM »
 If I make them one direction, I would need to serve,so like guys say with the twist, so when shortened the serving stays tight!

Exactly correct! Left- or right-handed is irrelevant. Otherwise, how did/do left-handed archers get by for decades shooting factory strings without servings slipping off all over the place?    ;)  

Sometimes I think we overcomplicate things just for the sake of doing so.    :rolleyes:

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
yes, for the most part a righty twisted string and serving will work for a lefty archer.  you guys are absolutely right.  

but i'd never ever sell that string to my customer because ... it's just plain wrong and there very well could be issues as a result.  setting the twist of the string and serving was common knowledge and practice at least back in the 60's.  wasn't at all overcomplicated, it just made perfect, constructive sense.  my how things have changed for some folks.  i'll stick to my old ways, thank you.

Offline Greg Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2010, 10:37:00 PM »
I just got back to this thread and noticed some replies regarding my post.  Rob, sorry if I sounded sarcastic - didn't intend to. It is like so many aspects of this sport wherein I just sort of flew by the "seat of my pants" so to speak, because I had no better information available.  I truly wish I had had access to the information currently available on sites such as this many years ago when I was developing bad shooting habits and learning as best I could how to be a "traditional archer". I definitely could have been a better and more knowledgeable longbow shooter. Let me just reassure you, I appreciate the expertise of those like you who are here to share the things you know.
And in the end of our exploring we shall return to the place where we started and know that place for the first time.

Offline DngrsDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2010, 11:25:00 PM »
#$%#* I HATE MURPHY!

I found the longer bolt I would need for this server. I found a 1/4 x 3.5 that WOULD fit, but it WOULDN'T fit through the spools I installed. The original bolt does, but I wanted a slightly longer one so I could try different springs for tension.

I couldn't find what I needed at HD, and I stopped into Sutherland"s just to see what I can find.

Found the EXACT bolt I needed, it's a 6 x 75 metric that's about 1/2 inch longer than the standard bolt.

Outstanding! So I got one and stuck it in my jacket pocket and ran a few more chores.

Guess what's no longer in my jacket pocket when I got back home?

Now I gotta wait til tomorrow so I can experiment some more!

#*&^% MURPHY!
If something seems too good to be true it’s best to shoot it, just in case. … Fiona on “Burn Notice”

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2010, 07:50:00 AM »
Unfortunatley, most guys don't serve up enough strings to get the hang of the spinning. I have used several different servers also including the little spinner and have settled in on the bear paw as the easiest for me. My son has comandeered it and I must now buy another.

BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2010, 07:55:00 AM »
Originally posted by BigJim:
Unfortunatley, most guys don't serve up enough strings to get the hang of the spinning. I have used several different servers also including the little spinner and have settled in on the bear paw as the easiest for me. My son has comandeered it and I must now buy another.

BigJim
you can have mine, jim - pm sent to ya.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2010, 02:01:00 PM »
I haven't tried a Bear Paw...probably shouldn't, because if I like it better I'll have a dang bunch of Cajun's sitting around.

I only make around 1,000 strings a year, and so far so good.  I'm a "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it" kind of guy.

Chad

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2010, 05:55:00 PM »
Only Chad lmao!

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »
I couldn't deal with just one or two serving tools--I'd loose 'em.  40 or so is easier to keep up with.  :bigsmyl:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©