3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: squirrel calls  (Read 573 times)

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
squirrel calls
« on: April 14, 2007, 08:59:00 PM »
who has used them, has anyone had any success with them?, are there other ways to imitate a squirrel?
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: squirrel calls
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 09:17:00 PM »
Eat more nuts  :bigsmyl:  could'nt resist. (SORRY)
Yes I have had success with the rubber ended calls. Best one I've had is a Knight & Hale model. I have not really given the quarter size metal calls with the hole trough them enough time. They are suppose to mimic a distress call. I don't use them much here, I get all the shooting (at) I want with out them!

Brent

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 09:51:00 PM »
I've had the best results using a PS OLT,wood with a rubber bellows.You can ajust the tone by moving the reed.Calling will not bring them running,but will put them out on a branch to find the source of the calling.  Leland

Offline Recurve50LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 10:13:00 PM »
I've had good success using 2 empty 20 Ga shotgun shells by tapping the brass together. Sounds like a tree rat cracking open a nut. Pretty cheap call too.
Turkey Creek Longbow
62" 45# @ 28"

Thunder Stick Mag
56" 45# @ 28"

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 11:02:00 PM »
I used the HS squirrel call but ive been calling them with my voice for a long time killed many barking at them without a call wish we would have had some on film of the ones we called in its simply amazing in September how they respond to call its alot of fun. Were gonna try and film some being called in this year.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 11:33:00 PM »
what type of sound do you make calling them by mouth, a bark?
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 11:49:00 PM »
Yea that's all I really need ive had squirrels run down the trees as fast as they could just to meet a bullet I did it 3 times in about 30mins I wish I could post a sound file to show how I do it really nothing to it.

If you want to get a squirrel to bark take a squeak call and squeak fast for about 10 seconds it sounds like a squirrel that's is hurt or being killed and it makes the others bark which gives you a chance to slip in. I once located one and thanks to the leave cover and full camo (I believe full camo is a must to get in close to squirrels) I got within 10 yards of his tree but I missed the shot twice!
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 12:52:00 PM »
Two nickels hold one on the edges and hit it with another worked in the old days. Sounds like chattering.The way we used to do it back in the 1970's is to climb a tree and act like a nut. couldn't resist either.

Offline HumbleHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 02:37:00 PM »
I have used the "Mr. Squirrel" call before (The nickle sized one with the hole in center) in my back yard. I had a squirrel that started to leave my yard so I hit that call with four whistles first being the loudest, to quietest and that thing did a 180 across tree tops, down the tree, then on the ground came right to my feet at almost a run! I missed her at like 5 yards but it was FUN! She wasn't happy at all. However it seems that they learn that call fast and will go the other way.
Have a great day, HH

Offline TRADITIONAL ONLY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 02:52:00 PM »
i just usually make a fist and kiss the hole in the middle. it sounds like a bark if you do it right.
ive used the bellows type calls but ive never really learned how to use them and i usually forget it at the house. and i never forget my hand, well, unless it gets cut off, but then why would i be huntin with a missing hand and a trad bow???
If its brown its down; thats my motto.

"The great questions of the day are decided... by blood and iron"  Otto von Bismark

Offline TENBEARS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 07:06:00 PM »
I've never had any luck with squirrel calls,drives me nuts  :D
keep the sun to your back and the wind in your face.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©