3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Back Quiver Length ?  (Read 229 times)

Offline Got2strum

• Trad Bowhunter
Back Quiver Length ?
« on: January 03, 2010, 10:34:00 AM »
For those of you that use back quivers, what are your opinions on the best length ? My arrows end up being roughly 33 1/2" with broadheads, and most pre-made back quivers seem to be 22" or maybe 24" long.

Is it beneficial to have the quiver stop around 1" below the fletching ? Or maybe it is only preference ? Maybe a somewhat shorter quiver makes it easier to remove the arrows ?

I have been tentatively looking and saving to buy/order a back quiver, and was just looking for some opinions. Thanks.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back Quiver Length ?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
My arrows are 33" long and my quiver has a depth of 19" it seems to me that the strap has to be adjustable and the quiver will sit a little lower in the center of your back and the long arrow length works out fine.   :archer:    :coffee:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 10:51:00 AM »
I am not an authority on back quivers, but it would seem if the quiver was too long, you would have interference with the fletching, and could possibly create noise problems, and/or premature fletching wear.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline Renaissance Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 11:04:00 AM »
If you are making it for yourself you should experiment with depth first. I made my back quivers about four inches below the fletching.
The problem for some is the drawing from the quiver. Some fellows need the shorter length to drw it.
I have long arms so it was never a problem for me. I preferred having most of the arrow in the quiver as it allowed me to manuever on the still hunt without concern of arrows dropping out or banging around inside. Which is also why you should not make the quiver in to heavy a leather as it will be noisier and will not flex well.

Offline rickshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 11:30:00 AM »
Yup…my arrows are about the same length and quiver depth is a concern. Too short hasn’t been a workable solution, so my preference is deeper…but the deciding factor is on the practical side, which involves getting the arrows out, one at a time. I want to reach straight over my shoulder, grab the shaft below the fletching and bring it out of the quiver every time without excessive movement. Plus, I usually keep it adjusted so that the only time I’m inclined to assist with the bow hand is when I want an arrow on the far side of the divider, first. It is a trial and error thing…I opt for as deep as is practical. Rick.

Offline Indie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 02:56:00 PM »
Just build one out of cardboard and play with it for a little bit to find out what you like.

Then order.

Just my 2ct.

Stefan

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 03:07:00 PM »
bill one about 3" below your fletching will be just fine   :thumbsup:  like the one i made my self that i am wearing in the pic and the one i did as a giveaway    
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »
My arrows are 32 1/2" from end of nock to end of broadhead and I like a quiver that is 22" deep.  Get much deeper and you'll have to draw the arrow straight up for too long a distance to clear the quiver and the further you raise your arm the more game spooking motion there is.  Veteran back quiver users like to handle the arrow only by the nock as there is no more movement needed to get the arrow on the string quickly.  If you need to roll the arrow a bit to line it up you need to handle it less that way. In addition you'll find that if the quiver is too narrow it will require more straight up movement to clear the top of the quiver.  That's why a lot of guys like fairly large quivers even if they don't fill it nearly all the way with arrows--it allows the arrow to slant as it comes out reducing high arm movement. Back quivers are great--about my favorite way of all to carry arrows for hunting as well as target and 3D.  You just have to give them time to break in and learn the ropes so to speak of a back quiver. Happy hunting for both the quiver and what you'll pursue with it.  If you order one, be sure to get it from somebody who actually hunts a lot with a back quiver.  Artistic quivers are fine to show off at shoots, but if they don't break in right and hunt well they are a waste of money.  :archer:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Got2strum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 04:39:00 PM »
Thanks guys. I had the same thought as you Stefan. Scrounged up some material and gave myself a project today. It was a bit chilly and windy outside so I got a bit more involved than a cardboard version   :)  

Used a piece of 4" corrugated drain pipe, marked and cut a 3/4" board to screw into the bottom, wrapped it with a pant leg from an old pair of camo pants, and found an small bit of leather to stitch around the top. Then I swiped the shoulder strap from a duffel bag I use for hunting clothes. This one is 25" deep. I know leather would conform to my back better but I can get an idea of length with this one. I'll see how I like it before I order one. Of course maybe I'll just make one. This one was pretty fun.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 05:16:00 PM »
How cool is that? Way!!! Good looking job on a back quiver you've done there!
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 05:59:00 PM »
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©