3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Glove to Tab  (Read 448 times)

Online spotteddog

• Trad Bowhunter
Glove to Tab
« on: January 03, 2010, 12:20:00 PM »
Thinking about trying a tab wondering if it would take alot of getting used to .Also wondering the pros and cons of a tab over a glove Thank Philip

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Glove to Tab
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 12:38:00 PM »
For me it comes down to personal preference.I started out shooting a glove but have come to prefer a tab.Been shooting the same tab for the last four years.A cordovan tab seems to wear like iron and still get a good slick release.Plus I can get a deeper hook with my tab,a tab is all I shoot with anymore.

Offline woodbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 01:01:00 PM »
i think a glove is easier to hunt with its already in place.i think its all personal preferensce try one see what you think

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 02:12:00 PM »
To each his own of course, but I find a tab much easier to hunt with...you can wear it over a wool glove, or under it laid flat against your hand.  It offers a slicker release and won't develop a deep crease like a glove.  

You just need to try one.  No reason you can't use both from time to time.....it's not written in stone that you need one or the other 8^).  Be versatile.

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 02:26:00 PM »
It will take a bit of getting used to.You will have to keep shooting it till the initial awkward feeling goes away.

I have gone back and forth between gloves and tabs and it always felt weird at 1st when switching from one to the other.

I do prefer a tab with a finger spacer and a ledge where the string rests right in front of the ledge.I like cordovan for the face.I shoot with a deep hook.I currantly use a cavalier elite.The batemans nice.It does not have a ledge.The angel tab is nice thats made in Japan.I think lancaster archery has alot of different tabs to look at.

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 02:51:00 PM »
I like hunting with a tab.  I personally feel like I get a cleaner, more consistent release with a tab vs. a glove, and I've used the Bateman, cordovan, split-finger tab for a couple years now.

Like George already mentioned, you can wear one over a glove.  I also like the fact I can rotate the tab over to the back of my hand and have full, un-impeded use of my fingers.

Only con to using a tab I can think of is losing them.  I always keep a spare in my fanny pack!
Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

A subtle play on words is better than a poke in the eye.

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 02:52:00 PM »
Tried to edit the first one, ended up double posting...sorry...
Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

A subtle play on words is better than a poke in the eye.

Offline MYSTIKBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 06:24:00 PM »
I switched over from a glove to a tab this summer.
 I had tried a tab on and off over the years but never really gave it much of a chance. I decided this summer to stick with it and I'm glad that I did. I'm getting much cleaner releases and really enjoyed the freedom of a tab while hunting this year. I don't think I'll ever go back to using a glove!
I reckon so

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 02:49:00 AM »
I recently started using a Bateman cordovan tab after shooting with a glove for the last 50+ years. I like the tab a lot for the same reasons mentioned by others. I still like a glove too. I don't think there is any big adjustment in going from one to the other. BTW, I shoot split fingered.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jon Shade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 06:17:00 AM »
I like a tab. I started with a glove many years ago and then switched over. A tab seems to never develop a string crease and is hunting friendly. Jon

Online spotteddog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 09:21:00 AM »
Thanks for all of the replys so far I Have a bateman on its way

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 10:06:00 AM »
You won't be disappointed with the Bateman tab.  I've got several and love them.

One thing I've found is that you often don't need as big of a tab as you might think.  I've got long fingers and normally wear an extra large glove (work glove not shooting glove) but my tabs are usually size medium.  Of course, I like the tips of my fingers to just barely stick out past the front edge of the tab.  This gives a better feel for your anchor because you have bare fingertips touching your face instead of a bunch of leather sticking out that can actually move your anchor away from your face.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 11:04:00 AM »
Everyone has what works for the I know that. I switched to a tab several years ago. I started shooting a version of the neat palm tab and now make my own three under palm tab. You will like it and the bateman is one of the best there is.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 11:12:00 AM »
I have to trim every tab I get; I want just enough tab to cover the string and protect my finger pads on the draw.  Most tabs start out too long, so that may be an issue with some guys trying them.  Don't be afraid to adjust things to fit you and your style...a pair of scissors can make a tab an old friend in a hurry.

Offline VA Robinhood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 11:17:00 AM »
I started out shooting a glove, but when I switched to three under, I found it much easier to use a tab.

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 12:27:00 PM »
I did the opposite and then tried to go back for giggles. No dice. I just can't feel my face enough with a tab.

My biggest problem with them is that I have a long middle finger. It sticks way out of the tab and tabs in general feel rigid on my face.

I hear they give you a cleaner release...not in my case.
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 12:37:00 PM »
It took me forever to get used to a tab. I stuck with it though. I could tell from how my finger wear on my glove that I was applying some pressure/tourque that was causing inconsistent shots. Switching to a cordovan tab forced me into better alignment and now i'm much more consistent shot to shot. It was tough because My anchor didnt feel as solid. Practice, practice and more practice fixed it though. I still like the look of the glove and split fingers, it just does'nt work as well for me.
Pick a spot.>>>>-------> Shoot straight.

Offline Zipperhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2010, 12:01:00 PM »
It depends on your preference.  I like a tab for 3 under.  Whatever feels the best and gives you the most confidence.

Offline Rufus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2010, 03:38:00 PM »
I use a tab mostly any more but I also keep "in touch" with my glove cause being me, the thing that I would forget to take with me would be what I use the most.
 Ha! I do carry an extra tab or three ( actually I gottem' stuck around everywhere since I make my own plus shoot Black Widow Tabs mostly).  Good luck.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Offline jomama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 03:49:00 PM »
personal preference.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©