3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tennis Elbow??  (Read 417 times)

Offline Mountainboy

• Trad Bowhunter
Tennis Elbow??
« on: January 03, 2010, 01:50:00 PM »
Does this sound like tennis elbow? The joint itself doesn't hurt, but, seems like all the muscles around it does, especially when I move it a certain way.  It started back in October and I've still got it.  During some storm trouble a couple of weeks ago, I fell on that arm and believe I aggravated it even worse.  I now have one of those elastic braces on it.  Any solutions that can help me to get it to heal faster??  :help:
60" 52@28" Pittsley Predator
60" 56@28" Thunderstick MOAB
52" 55@28" '73 Bear Kodiak Magnum

Offline doowop

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tennis Elbow??
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 01:53:00 PM »
Best way to heal it is not use it. I got mine operated on years ago. Took it a year to get back to 90%. The brace will help. If it is TE, it is a bummer. Check with your doc.

Offline La. bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 01:55:00 PM »
I have had a couple of flare ups of tennis elbow and it sounds like what you have, if it is tennis elbow there is nothing that you can do but rest it and give it time to heal.
La. Bowhunter trad archery addict

Offline Mountainboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 02:00:00 PM »
I'm hoping that since our hunting season has ended (deer at least) and I won't be out and about in the woods, "I'm hoping" it will heal a little quicker and I can avoid the ole doc.   :pray:
60" 52@28" Pittsley Predator
60" 56@28" Thunderstick MOAB
52" 55@28" '73 Bear Kodiak Magnum

Offline Cookus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 02:12:00 PM »
Give your tendon a break by only lifting with your palm facing upward.   If possible, cut out any repetitive motion such as swinging a hammer for a few months.   Rest, ice, and ibuprofen also help.   I also had mine operated on a few years back after months of agony, cortisone shots, and repeated flare-ups.   Best money I ever spent!
West Virginia Bowhunters Association
PBS Associate Member

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »
I had it for two years.  It would get better and then flair back up.  Climbing trees over hand grip was a killer.  I now use tree sticks and grip the stick or under hand on the steps when possible.  I ended up with it so bad it hurt all up into my shoulder and down in my forearm.  Ice, rest, and anti-inflammatory med's help.  In the end I got to the doc and got some PT.  In PT they did some pin point med's with electric shock gizmo and some hands on to work the inflammation out.  Then exercises to strengthen AFTER I was a lot better.  I still have some junk in there and it gets a little sore or pops a little when I shoot a lot.  That is part of the reason I keep my bow poundage down some.  

The exercises I was given use small weights at first like 1# then 2# dumbbells.  You put your forearm on the edge of a table with your hand over the edge.  You do curls palm down, palm up, and hand shake.  That was what finally got it worked out and stronger.  I have also heard that you can take a stick like a broom handle then tie on about 3' rope and hang a weight.  With overhand grip twist the weight up to the stick and then back down.  This real strengthens the joint support muscles and keeps it away.  Dont do that until you are a lot better, and don't take my word for it; see a doctor.  Ask about some PT to help clear it up.  The sooner the better.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 02:19:00 PM »
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 02:22:00 PM »
When I had a bout of tennis elbow my doctor said to use a brace.I then went on line and found some Physical Therapy excerises to do.So I did the excerises,used ice and rest and after a couple of months it went away.I still do the excerises,it worked for me without getting any shots.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »
I had it and beat it using a simple strech every day. Take a towel and roll it up, twist it one way with one hand and twist it the other way with the other hand. You are basically flexing your hand up and down.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline LA Trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 02:34:00 PM »
xtrema and JRY are correct about the exercises.

Good news is strengthening the area will take away the pain.  Bad news is you can not successfully do that until the swelling and pain are reduced considerably or you will continue to irratate the area.  Do a search on this site and the "other site".  There is some sound advice from physicans and physical therapists as well as people who suffered like me. Also Google some information if you refuse to go to the doctor.  If you see a physician, use one that deals with sports medicine.  They will treat more aggressively and get you better much faster.

Concentrate lifting your arm with your thumb up.  It will give your shoulder and the TE some relief.  Sounds simple, but I have done the rotator cuff thing also.

Good luck;

Billy
Lifetime Member Bayou State Bowhunters
Lifetime Member Louisiana Traditional Bowmen

The path of least resistance is what makes men and rivers crooked.

Offline David Bartholomew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 06:14:00 PM »
Kevin,

I work with orthopedic rehabilitation concerns daily.  If you wish, give me a shout, and I'll give you my phone number.  We can talk.

David
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 06:48:00 PM »
I noticed that mine would flare up if I shot my longbows too much. Shooting my recurves is no problem. Wether it is a hand shock issue or the heel down manner by which I shoot longbows I'm not sure.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 06:52:00 PM »
been tick bit in the last 6 months or so?

thought i had 'tennis elbow', too - as did my orthopedist sports doc.

we were both very wrong.  it was lymes.

just something to consider ...
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline woodbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 07:11:00 PM »
ive got it pretty bad right now and have a hunt in texas in mid feb ive let it rest for about 2 weeks was taking anti inflamatory drug but that caused severe heart burn so quit im going to let it go one more week then start shooting again it does not seem to hurt it to much shooting its the hand i pull string with. gripping things causes most pain.Im finding out its a real pain in the butt. man you do not realize how much you do with your right hand till doc tells you not to use it. bummed!

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 07:32:00 PM »
i've got issues using anti-inflammatory drugs as well, real hard on the stomach.  

best anti i've been able to successfully use is Relafen (nabumetone).  might wanna give that a go.

fwiw, i had real nasty elbow joint pain that was treated for NINE MONTHS with a few steroid shots and lots and lots of anti-inflammatory drugs that made me and my liver sick real sick.  went to a naturopath doc.  i had lymes disease.  within one week of supplements i was pain free, took another 3 months to kill the bugs in me.  like i said, fwiw ...

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 07:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
i've got issues using anti-inflammatory drugs as well, real hard on the stomach.  

I hear you. I use a product called Lifezyme now.  Other natural stuff is also very good and easy on your body.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 07:52:00 PM »
I have had tennis elbow (aka brusitis) off and on for years with a mild case right now.  As with most others on this post, it sometimes takes over a month to work out.  Giving it a rest is the only thing that has consistently worked for me.  In real bad cases I have had to wear a sling for a week or two.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
I had tendonitis in my knee a few years ago and rest was the final solution for my situation.

Just curious: with the tennis elbow do you get that from shooting too much? How much shooting does it take to develop it?

As others have said, rest and go see Doctor.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2010, 07:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by xtrema312:

Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:

I hear you. I use a product called Lifezyme now.  Other natural stuff is also very good and easy on your body. [/b]
i now use a herbal anti-inflammatory called 'zyflamend'.

Offline Cookus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »
Just curious: with the tennis elbow do you get that from shooting too much? How much shooting does it take to develop it?

jcar315:   In my situation, I got my case from pitching/ slinging grubs to the smallmouth bass in the Potomac River on a daily/ nightly basis.   As my physician told me, repetitive motion is the culprit for the affliction.   Unlike the others that have posted, I was able to shoot my recurve daily w/ little or no pain... But I could not lift my coffee cup!   Like Rob, I too have Lyme's disease... When you see your doctor, this is an easy test and the results from the Center for Disease Control are quick.   If Lyme's is a possibility, do not hesitate to get this test because the disease can wreak irrevocable damage if left untreated.   Physical therapy, like the other fellas suggested above, is beneficial in the early stages of tennis elbow.   If I can be of any more help please PM me.
West Virginia Bowhunters Association
PBS Associate Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©