3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Carbon Arrow Failed on Release  (Read 394 times)

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Carbon Arrow Failed on Release
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »
A loose fitting nock is a good indicator that the shaft is cracked.  Hitting a concrete wall will crack the nock end 99.9% of the time.

Offline blind one

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »
I broke the end of a carbon shaft by hitting the peg(spike) that was holding the target on the straw bale before. I was told that the force of solid impact flexed the shaft hard enough that when it flexed back the nock was coming out and cracked the end of the shaft.....Roy
"To die is nothing. One is here, One is no longer here. It is only at the end one must be able to say 'I was a man'"...

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2010, 02:38:00 PM »
I agree with Badger on this one. A lot of times when you hit something hard the nock pops out and sometimes the back end splits. I'm not smart enough to know exactly why, but have seen it happen a lot.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline rappstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2010, 02:46:00 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input.  The concrete wall happened to be the thing that stopped my arrow.  The point is that something happened upon release and the suspect is the cracked shaft at the nock end.  

Nothing interfered with the bow itself during the shot (i.e. hit a pant leg or something).  I'm not a great shot but I don't miss my target by 8 feet and my bow doesn't torque the way it did on that shot!   :)

I was curious if this had happened to someone else and what might have caused the nock end to crack if the arrow hadn't hit anything hard in its life.  I was curious if a super tight fitting nock on the shaft would add stress during release and accelerate a failure.  

To Wingnut's point, the shaft was probably cracked before I shot it.

Thanks again everyone!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2010, 04:03:00 PM »
Not being funny here.  Look at your ceiling, did you by chance hit it with the top limb tip of your bow upon release ?  I have done it twice and the reaction of the bow is identical to what you described.  I have also broken nocks on release (also Beeman) and although it was a dry fire it did not do as you described.
ChuckC

Offline huntindad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2010, 12:53:00 AM »
ChuckC that is EXACTLY what I thought!Bill
The days spent hunting cannot be deducted from  the span of your life's time.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©