3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Drop Back and Punt!  (Read 598 times)

Offline Mountainboy

• Trad Bowhunter
Drop Back and Punt!
« on: January 03, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »
Last year I tried a few new things and I had a terrible season (as far as bring home the bacon!)  I don't blame any of the equipment but I think I'm going back to the things that are tried and tested and familiar with me like aluminum and wood arrows, bow with no quiver on it, and a few other odds and ends.  Anyone else feel this way??  I'm also going to be safer up in the treetops and start using a safety from the ground all the way up to the stand ( I owe to friends and family  :thumbsup:  )
60" 52@28" Pittsley Predator
60" 56@28" Thunderstick MOAB
52" 55@28" '73 Bear Kodiak Magnum

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Drop Back and Punt!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »
I put this post in another thread on another forum, but it's how I feel.

Well it really is a simple sport, we just complicate it with a bunch of extraneous crap that doesn't mean much in a real brick fight. You need a bow, a string, and some arrows...that's about it. Problem is we have myriad experts now just waiting to tell you how much you have to fiddle with your stuff, from bareshafting to front-loading. Those guys can take the fun out of the sport in a hurry if you allow it. Some of us old guys know better and do what we have done for decades. And, we have never been deprived of killing game or shooting great scores because we were out of touch with the genius contingency. 8^).

Offline Mountainboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 02:24:00 PM »
You said it George!  I gave up the compound thing due to all of the new gadgets and adjustments that a person had to have or to be done. Now, I had to try different arrows (carbon) different points, broadheads, strings, etc.  I'm now putting anything down by any means, but, I think I'm going back to the basics..  :)

Offline customcrester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »
Well said george,i agree 100%!  :thumbsup:    :clapper:
"As long as the arrows still in the air there's hope"

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »
"If It Aint Broke, Dont Fix It!!"  :thumbsup:    :archer:   Been told that  ALL  My Life!!  :goldtooth:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 02:38:00 PM »
well when ya look at it Basics is where it all started any how and brother i agree with ya on the if it aint broke dont fix it. and i will add to it if it is get another one  :biglaugh:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 02:49:00 PM »
George, glad to see someone uses the word myriad correctly as an adjective.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline marshall brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 03:08:00 PM »
I have also been thinking the same thing about next years season. My problem seemed to be that I was taking more uneccessary things into the woods with me. Simplify is my goal next year.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 03:12:00 PM »
As usual, George said it well.   :clapper:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline gregk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 03:48:00 PM »
I agree with George, archery should be a simple sport!!  :archer:

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 04:20:00 PM »
I had a old preacher friend tell me once "I killed more deer before I knew all this stuff" he said a mouthful. Well said George! Jason

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 06:12:00 PM »
kevin - one does what one needs to do in order to excel.  sometimes you do need to get back to square one, simplify, and get back your confidence and accuracy consistency.  good for you and best of luck!    :thumbsup:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 06:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by George D. Stout:
... Well it really is a simple sport, we just complicate it with a bunch of extraneous crap that doesn't mean much in a real brick fight. You need a bow, a string, and some arrows...that's about it. Problem is we have myriad experts now just waiting to tell you how much you have to fiddle with your stuff, from bareshafting to front-loading. Those guys can take the fun out of the sport in a hurry if you allow it. Some of us old guys know better and do what we have done for decades. And, we have never been deprived of killing game or shooting great scores because we were out of touch with the genius contingency. 8^).
i hear your point, george, and revel in its simplistic merit.

however, i'll take the opposite tack that toots the horn of logical reasoning as to why it can be a very good thing not to just to just have 'a bow, a string, and some arrows'.  

to whit, a few examples ...

* there are extraordinary efficiencies gained by tuning arrows to fly well out of a given bow, for both accuracy and game killing.

* there are distinct advantages in testing out bowstring fibers and strand counts, for consistency, accuracy and less noise.

* there are voluminous, well documented reasons why front end arrow loading is a bowhunter/archer's best friend.

whether i like it or not, i'm one of those old guys that started off with a lemonwood longbow, way back in the early 1950's.  however, i consider myself smart enuf to employ sound reasoning and technology when and where it will increase my trad bowhunting/archery consistency and success - without compromising the 'simple stick 'n' string' focus and objective.    

or, just go grab a bow, brace up and fling some arras.  

to each their own and as always, ymmv.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline woodbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 07:25:00 PM »
forget the other stuff pay close attention to the wind and be safe.i also went to safty harrness that goes up as i go up.the older you get things arent as steady as they used to be.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 07:39:00 PM »
Heck, I like to fiddle with my stuff. That's half the fun of having it. Nothin' wrong with technology and a little experimenting. Besides, if it weren't for technology and experimentation, we'd all be shooting solid wood bows and using rivercane arrows and stone points. (Not that there's anything wrong with those choices either).

My point is, don't knock people that fiddle with their stuff or enjoy striving for more performance and better arrow flight and then shoot modern equipment yourself (glass laminated bows, aluminum and carbon arrows, man made string materials, etc.), which was discovered/invented by "experts fiddling with their stuff".
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Mountainboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 10:37:00 PM »
Oh I'm not knocking anyone.  Just for example, if I had the proper equipment(tools) I'd probably stay with the carbons and tune them the way they should be.  I still like to tinker myself, but, when ya gotta go clear into town to have the carbons cut down 1/2" each trip to get the proper tuning, it tends to get a little consuming if ya know what I mean.  Basically, I know what I had with past hunting seasons and know what worked and I need to go back to that to help regain my confidence and get back on track.  Afterwards, I might pick up some new stuff and head forward.  :archer:

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
I wasn't really referring to you're comments, Mountainboy. I was referring to George's.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 11:32:00 PM »
... some like it hot
... some like it cold

That is what I love about this sport, you can make it as simple as you want or you can tinker as much as you want  :)
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2010, 11:45:00 PM »
It took me a long time to find a set-up that works consistently. I'm not changing anything unless the components stop being produced.   :knothead:
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 12:19:00 AM »
There seems to be a consistent cry from some corners about "new" geniuses telling others what they have to do to achieve some bow related nirvana.

Well, I'm a relative "trad" newbie of only 10 yrs having come back to a stickbow after 19 yrs of shooting other equipment. I have yet to have a single person tell me what I "have" to do. I have been presented with options and others' experiences when I asked or watched and/or listened when others asked.

The only opinions I see being forced on anyone are those of the flat-worlders who artfully use grammar, wit and emoticons to cover their seeming disdain for opinions that differ from theirs.

"Why, how dare you question the pioneers of the sport on whose very shoulders you find yourself now perched!" - could be one interpretation of the attitudes directed at those who shoot something other than 55# and 28".

I shoot a relatively heavy recurve at a relatively long draw length. I hate aluminums and wood is fairly impractical due to getting consistent spine & weight combinations to make my bow's mfr happy. So like you Mountainboy, I tried carbons. It has taken me a full year and a half to find the right formula and was very frustrating, but can tell you it's now worth it.

I've been told by those guys I don't NEED this heavy of a bow. I don't NEED to wear this camo or that wool. I don't NEED to configure my arrow different from theirs. I don't NEED to try this or that. Tell ya what I don't NEED is someone raining on my parade cause it takes a different route than theirs.

Here's your emoticon:  :rolleyes:

Good luck choosing YOUR own path Mountainboy. There are plenty of guys who will give you honest answers to your genuine questions rather than admonishing you and others for not following an age-old script.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©