3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Drop Back and Punt!  (Read 597 times)

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Drop Back and Punt!
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2010, 01:54:00 AM »
Mountain Boy.  Shoot what works for ya and definately use what works to provide you with confidence.  

Me, I am fiddler and finding out that Carbons can be a pain to get right.  I am shooting a 55 lb modern longbow and 550 spine arrows don't come long enough for me to get them to tune without 400 grains up front which makes em heavier than I want.  Great FOC and penetrate like no ones business, just slower than I want.  

My reccomendation is shoot what is working for you and do your fiddling with the Carbons on the side.  That way it won't matter how well the Carbons work.  Once you get it all together you can make the switch if you want.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 03:55:00 AM »
As a Trad shop owner, I will make suggestions based on my experience BUT I leave the final decision up to the customer. I want him happy....

Tinkering and playing around with different types of arrow materials, feather shapes/sizes and experimenting with different broadheads is part of the fun of archery. For me personally, once I found the right combination of bow/arrow/broadhead
I stayed with it for years. I seen no reason to change.

Until a few yrs ago, I shot barrel tapered ash. I now shoot aluminum and carbon. When I decided to strictly hunt from the ground, I changed my camo pattern to match my hunting areas. Your goal is to enjoy the sport, fill the freezer but have fun doing it.

If getting back to basics is what you think you need to do...then do it. From shooting wood, to taking extra safety precautions or just wearing plaid clothing instead of camo...make the move and start having fun again.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2010, 04:47:00 AM »
Hackbow,

I gotta say, you make a solid point there....yep.......solid.   :thumbsup:

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2010, 05:10:00 AM »
one man's ceiling is another man's floor.

please do offer me opinions, considerations and advice.  that's how i can learn, that's how you can share.  and in the end, i get to make the decision as to what path i'll attempt.

please show me the truth, the facts - if there are any.  that kinda knowledge outshines all the rhetoric.

but above all, don't tell me your way is the right way or the best way or the only way - that's pure hogwash.

fortunately, i believe that hogwash is hard to find at trad gang.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2010, 05:58:00 AM »
Mountainboy if you are throwing out those carbons I'll take them. Stump shooting is all I do and I'm very hard on arrows. I shot almost every day last yr. and never damaged an alum footed Gold Tip, too many frontal impacts with rocks to count, I destroyed 9 judos. Killed 2 deer with tough angled shots, same arrow both deer, back in quiver absolutely no damage. I can't afford to shoot alum. or wood $$$$. If you are having trouble getting your carbons to fly please let us help you. We have at least 6 months. Tom
Tom

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2010, 06:05:00 AM »
Well said Hackbow. Well said Rob. I totally agree.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline greenie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2010, 06:20:00 AM »
I believe it's humane nature to complicate anything we touch. Everyday just trying to live a simple life gets more compicated.

Offline Mountainboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2010, 03:19:00 PM »
I tell ya what!  All you guys are just plain awesome!  Good straight forward advice/no beating around the bush! A good brotherhood!
60" 52@28" Pittsley Predator
60" 56@28" Thunderstick MOAB
52" 55@28" '73 Bear Kodiak Magnum

Offline GANDGOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2010, 07:14:00 PM »
There's an ooolllddd Russian Proverb----
Better is THE ENEMY of GOOD ENOUGH!!!!  :goldtooth:
3 pc. Morrison Shawnee 60" 51#
3 pc. Shafer Silvertip 62" 48#
1 pc. Sandy Biles Super Xt 47#
3 pc. A&H ACS 62" 48#
3 pc. Das Dalaa 60" 48#

For GOD so Loved the world. He GAVE His Only Son...John 3:16.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2010, 07:24:00 PM »
I've been at this as long as George and Rob. There really is nothing simple about archery if you look real close. I've tried a lot of things over the years and don't consider myself "finished" as an archer, bow hunter or human being. Every time something new comes out I need to know about it or ask about it or try it. One never stops learning and just when I think I have discovered the "best" I turn around and there is something better. That makes it fun for me....it's the learning and playing with stuff and  not settleing for the status quo.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Bruce Martin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
My biggest problem is kind of liking it all. I own several glass bows, recurve and longbows. And, I have a great time when not hunting making wood bows. Various lengths, weights, etc. Finding what shoots out of these various implements is a real challenge but one that has taught me a lot. I have not done anything that hasn't been done before and in many cases, better. But I enjoy the process. Heck, it even enjoy serving a string well. When it comes to hunting, I have some standard requirements that don't change: well tuned arrows with nocks that are not too tigt on the string, decent if not heavy overall weight (10-11 gpp) and very sharp cut on contact heads that fly right. A heavy enough bow that I can consistently control. The rest of it is concentrating and practicing on putting it in the right place. So, it is simple but also complex in the possibilities all of which can be designed to work very well.

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
Simple is better...and more fun.
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »
isn't the basics the definition of traditional?
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »
what ever yanks your string is ok with me.  shoot it like you like it......but archery was not simple when archery was simple.    :)  

there have been techies and non-techies since i shot my first field round in the 1950's.  as a matter of fact they even fussed at each other then.  In 1960 I saw a fist fight between a techy and a non-techy on the field range over scores.  

at 66 yrs old I guess I am Geroge's antipahty (although I certainly consider him a friend   :)  ).  for me stingwalking, techy risers, vee bars, long rods, flippers and plunger are good things.  yep even use many of the gadets on a hunting bows now and then.

if you want it simple, i am for ya. just leave a little space for me to shoot in.....and when we add up the socre I don't want no fist fights please   :)  

rusty -non-tradtional recurve  shooter- craine

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
I'm all for SIMPLE! Life is complicated enough!

I'm just thankful I live where there is choices.

Good shootin, Steve.

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »
"Never drag a extension ladder out  when a simple snowball will do" Funny story just this evening. We've been getting hammered here with deep snows and cold temps. Decided to take the evening to grab my "old" neighbor and drive down and spend the evening with a "old" muzzleloader making neighbor. Spent all evening with him and left simply amazed how simple everything in his life is to making a muzzleloader. He's the same guy who taught me knife making and gives me curly maple scraps for making bows, knives etc. Anyhow to make a long story short I was telling my neighbor on the way home "you know what, I'm gona make a complete effort to find the simplest way to do everything in my life as my new years resolution"! So we get to his house and his wife informs us her satitlite internet isn't working.Now keep in mind these folks are the most techno challegened folks I know and my neighbor himself has never ever been on the internet. I explain it's because of the heavy uneven snow fall on the dish and tell my neighbor lets get a ladder so I can climb his steep metal roof and sweep the snow off it. All the time thinking this is gona be dangerous. He came out looked at it, grabbed a snowball and in one throw hit the satitlite and knocked the snow off! So much for my new years resoultion! Life is simple we make it tuff!
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2010, 10:21:00 AM »
Good story LC  :D
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2010, 12:28:00 PM »
Archery is a circle, for some we are at 1/4 circle, some are at 1/2, even a few make it to 3/4, A full circle is perfection and I have not yet met someone there, all the gismos along the line in the circle just help to make it. The real challenge in making the circle is are we still having fun. Happy New Years to everyone.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©