3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Check-Mate Raven or Samick Stingray?  (Read 332 times)

Offline beemerhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Check-Mate Raven or Samick Stingray?
« on: January 03, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »
I'm new to the forum and haven't shot a recurve since I was a kid back in the '70s. I've pretty much narrowed my choices down to between these two in the 45lb to 50lb range for whitetails.  Any comments would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks,

Ken in Tn
Matt 1:21

Offline fling

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Check-Mate Raven or Samick Stingray?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 02:41:00 PM »
I own two Check Mates the atilla and the falcon. and I would say that they are both outstanding bows for the price.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 02:42:00 PM »
One bow is 52"  the other 58",  decide if your draw length is okay for the shorter bow, you will feel more finger pressure with it.  Both are very good bows.  While you are at it, check the Red Stag, it is my favorate of the Samick line.  It shoots like a high dollar custom and fits the hand very well, and shoots where you point.

I've hear very good things about the Stingray as well, especially in the shooting quality..performance and shootability.  It looks like you want a forward riser as both of the bows you mentioned are that configuration.

Offline beemerhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 03:46:00 PM »
ttt

Offline ontarioclimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 03:50:00 PM »
chekmate will look after you with warranty issues for a very long time, something to think about.
trees are old, they are wise, they have seen much, and if you listen, on a still night, you can here them speak...

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 05:17:00 PM »
Check-mate Falcon or Falcon Deluxe. Great Bows for the bucks!

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 05:59:00 PM »
I love my stingray, it does stack after 28" though.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 06:38:00 PM »
take a look at the 64" Chek Mate Kings Pawn Deluxe. Smooth drawing, no finger pinch and no stack at all.

Chek Mate has a good reputation for warranty and repair work.
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 06:49:00 PM »
i'd rather spend my dollars on a quality chek-mate that's crafted in north america than a knock off samick of pacific rim origin.

i've owned more than a few examples of both manufacturer's bows - chek-mate is simply better, imho.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Big Bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
I have a golden hawk mag.  and a falcon and a hunter II on the way.they are very nice bows for the money.

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »
As previously mentioned the Chek-Mate Raven is 52" and while a nice bow it requires a very steady hand. Go with something longer, if you are looking at Chek-Mate try the Falcon or something used from the classifieds. I would pass on the Stingray.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
we just got threw dealing with a mismarked set of limbs on a samick a friend of mine owns.   Junk bows 100%  Their fita bows are supposidly good stuff..there low end bows are complete junk!

Offline Hit-or-Miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 09:27:00 PM »
I thought I read some where recently that PSE traditional bows were made by Samick...? Anyone know if this is correct? I have a PSE Blachawk Heritage series recurve I bought almost 20 years ago, and it is a tough, durable bow, great value for the money. Then I heard that Samick made it, and if so, at least with this model it appears to be a winner. Then again, I have a PSE Heritage series longbow, over 15 years old and the cap is delaminating, but the limbs are fine. Did Samick make this as well?

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 10:32:00 PM »
I've had great luck with Samick.  These new models are designed in the USA, made of American woods and glass, and sold by American distributors, who pay American employees, who have a more steady job because of these imports.  The importing of Samick bows creates an accessory business for US companies that would not be nearly as fruitful were it not for them.  Without imports, our economy would be even deeper in the crapper.

Or you could order an American made bow, made with all imported woods....bocote, shedua, rosewood, etc., etc.  Good grief, I thought we were past this stuff already.  There are a lot of great bows out there, but few at a decent price for those who don't have a boatload of liquid assets.

Offline Shifting Shadow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 07:02:00 AM »
I have to agree with George D. Stoudt on this one. Basically all our stuff comes from overseas. It's the new reality of 21 Century trade. If we could go back to 1850 yes, buy American! Even the keyboard we type on is made in China.
"Keep the bow you like or you will be looking forever." -H.J.

One bow. One arrow. My ideal.

Offline James on laptop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 07:29:00 AM »
It would be as easy choice for me.The Samick would be at my house in 3 days and is a longer bow.The Chechmate might take months and is shorter than I like in a bow.Neither are made in the US so that part does not matter.If you want American buy a Quinn or find a used bow in your price range.Best of course would be to shoot them and pick that way but of course that is not always an option for some.jmo

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 08:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by James on laptop:
It would be as easy choice for me.The Samick would be at my house in 3 days and is a longer bow.The Chechmate might take months and is shorter than I like in a bow.Neither are made in the US so that part does not matter.If you want American buy a Quinn or find a used bow in your price range.Best of course would be to shoot them and pick that way but of course that is not always an option for some.jmo
nothing like instant gratification!  :D

but i do hear ya on the typical looong wait for a custom bow as opposed to a production line bow.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline James on laptop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 08:54:00 AM »
Yeah I have found the older I get the quicker I like getting something I want verses waiting.Only so many days in a year and they go faster and faster each season.  ;)  I no longer see the need to wait for something if what I need can be bought over the counter or come 3 day delivery.Those months of waiting for a new bow can just as well be months of shooting a new bow.  :biglaugh:

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 08:58:00 AM »
I own a 58" Samick/Chiron Volcano and a 60" CM H2 (have had several CM's).  The Volcano is a decent bow, particularly for how little it cost, but IMO the CM is a better choice, no question...

Better yet, Bob Lee also makes a great semi-production recurve.  Bet you can find something to fit your pistol in stock. I found my 58" Lee Hunter in stock on their website, gave them a call and had it in my hot little hands in a week.  I can report it flat out rocks and quickly became my primary bow...

BTW, I've yet to draw a 52" or shorter bow that didn't stack beyond 28".  I had a 52" Kodiak Mag that was like hitting a wall at 28", which was an issue as I draw 28.5".

In addition to the K-Mag I had a CM H56"  and finally had to accept the shorty's nifty handling was negated by a combination of stacking, small sight windows, and less than desirable shootability. Not that they couldn't be shot well, but they were much more dificult to shoot well than longer recurves.  

I think you would be much happier with at least a 58" and probably better, a 60" recurve for a new first bow.
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Mike Lee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 09:22:00 AM »
I have two Pinacle ll recurves and two SLB longbows that my wife and I shoot. They shoot very good and are made well.I don't have any Chek-mate bows to compare them with.

Mike Lee

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©