3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anybody hunt with a blanket for warmth?  (Read 799 times)

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anybody hunt with a blanket for warmth?
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2010, 08:09:00 PM »
Well, I remember an article that Fred Asbel once wrote about using a blanket while sitting in a tree stand and how he was able to just quietly let it slide from his shoulders when a shot  presented itself. I'm already taking stock of this season that has just ended and what I might do differently next season.  Think I'll try Fred's idea.....Dave
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2010, 08:47:00 PM »
i nearly always have one rolled up with me on my day satchel ... always handy !!!

ben
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline jerseyboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
I havent done that in years but i think i should start again seeing how it was 24 and windy all day here in jersey with the forecast of below freezing for the next week. I have used the sleeping bag trick with an army  web belt around my chest like with waders and you can sit all day. I like the comfy slipper idea to.
And in the end when i can no longer draw the bow or watch the arrow embark on its flight;when i posses only the spirit of the hunter, i will hunt.... if only in my dreams... because the hunt is born amidst my soul, and i... i am the hunter

Offline Hit-or-Miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2010, 08:54:00 PM »
HUNT with a blanket? Heck, I have to use one around the HOUSE, because every time I turn up the heat, my wife is 3 steps behind me turning it back down! I should have had a Prenup written, including thermostat settings during winter!!!!

Offline woodbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2010, 11:14:00 PM »
im starting to think about it the older i get. im wandering about a double bull blind and a blanket

Offline Starkman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2010, 11:18:00 PM »
They've been used for years...ever heard of a Matchcoat?    http://www.wildeweavery.com/matchcoats.htm  Very  versatile, and I may have to use one myself.  
Bob
"You're never beaten until you admit it." - General George S. Patton, Jr

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2010, 11:24:00 PM »
I use a set of insulated bibs that are 4x too big for me - I got them cheap after the season.  With the straps pinned down and the edges almost up to my neck, I can sit with my usual fall gear on and not have extra material on my arms.  I hate that, I feel like the Michellin Man.  Covers my boots, and has pockets to stuff my hands in.  They've got full length zippers on the legs and in the front which makes putting them on in the tree stand a lot easier too.
Support the sport!

Offline WindWalker-AK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »
As Mr. Starkman stated, Matchcoats of various make, are very popular among Black Powder shooters.
Best Wishes

Offline Ghost Dancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2010, 10:40:00 AM »
I don't like anything bulky on me or impeding my bow string, and once a deer is spotted any excess motion like dropping a blanket should be avoided.  Just my opinion.  

Many times loose garments have caused me problems.

Offline 8leg-lover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2010, 10:41:00 AM »
I think I'm going to spring for a heater body suit for next year. Until then I'll try the sleeping bag.

Carl
Carl Kossuth

"Currently shooting whatever strikes my fancy"

"PERFECT practice makes perfect"

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2010, 03:58:00 PM »
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2010, 04:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by leatherneck:

Originally posted by GingivitisKahn:
A blanket and some comfie slippers (roll them in the blanket on the way in and out) when I'm going to be sitting...

I'd avoid the Army blanket you mention though - they are pretty thin and just not that warm.  I got this one as a Christmas pressent last year - think they got it from Sportsmans Guide or something like that.
Jim, Please tell me that you staged that pic with the slippers on? Way toooooooo funny if not! [/b]
:biglaugh:    :biglaugh:
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2010, 05:39:00 PM »
Mike -

I gotta be me.   :D   I really do take those with me from time to time.  Heck, I'm wearing them right now.

Offline e alexander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »
My sister-in-law made me a camo blanket for Christmas last year.  I almost used it once, but wasn't sure how to keep it up in the tree.  It's in the teen's here, so I just may give it a try this weekend, I've been thinking hard about it.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
I love it Jim, I truly love it!!!!!!!  :thumbsup:

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »
At the end of the Bow season this year up here in Sask. I darn near froze my butt off this year .I think its also an age thing.My favorite spot is way up high totally exposed to the elements.Never even thought of the blanket thing .I will definately have one next year ,and I could give a hoot about what looks cool.WARMS WARM!
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
I used a blanket this year for my legs and it worked reasonably well. I folded it such that it covered me from waist to ankles and left side to right side sort of like a shop apron. Then I ran a web strap with a plastic snap buckle through the top where it was folded over and strapped it around my waist. I sure wasn't sweating in it but it did take a major bite out of the cold.

JW
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2010, 01:16:00 AM »
ten bucks to the first guy who posts pics of himself hunting in a pink snuggie....  :D    :readit:    :D
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline smoked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2010, 03:33:00 AM »
I wear insulated bibs that keep my legs warm, and use the Thermacare back wraps under a couple layers for my upper body. Without the Thermacare I can't stay out for more than 3 hours if it is below 25 degrees. I have also noticed if my freezer is already mostly full that I get cold quicker!

Offline doeboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2010, 07:38:00 AM »
im in the process of my mom making me a black one for my double bull blind.

we used to make a stove out of an old paint can or large coffee can and put charcoal briquets ( not matchlight style, standard type) in it and put it between your legs and use an old army blanket and wrap it around yourself and the can. just have to let the coals burn down a bit and keep it going by adding some charcoal every once in a while. it works well. works well in the blind also.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©