3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is it me, or are squirrels TOUGH! (pics)  (Read 894 times)

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Is it me, or are squirrels TOUGH! (pics)
« on: January 03, 2010, 05:06:00 PM »
Holy Cow  I thought I seen it all from these little fellas! Over the last 2 weeks or so I have been trying to get a few for the freezer. So far I shot 3, lost 1 after my small game head came out of it and it took off running  .

Today I thought about doing something a little different and try using a broadhead on them thinking it would save me a little "leg work" running after them and "bonking" them on the noggin....WRONG! I shot this little bugger with a Zephyr Sasquatch and he still managed to crawl 15 or so yards and hide in my wood pile..I had to end he suffering when I got up to him. Im extremly happy with the small game heads that Ted@Raptor made me, they do a great job! But no matter where I shoot them they seem to "get out of dodge" pretty quickley after the hit. Except for head shots (which are TOUGH) to do, have you had the same results? Im including a few pictures of my squirrels I shot..Sorry about the last one, I didnt have someone here to take a picture of it before it was cleaned..So tell me your experiences with these "iron willed" animals.

The small game head I normally use...

My first one from the last 2 weeks

The "bloodtrail" from the broadhead hit squirrel.

All cleaned up..

"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline freeman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is it me, or are squirrels TOUGH! (pics)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 05:08:00 PM »
They take a lickin and keep on tickin.... That's for sure.

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 05:09:00 PM »
I shot a squirrel with a Zwickey Delta and sliced off the back 6 inches of his tail.  He ran off, and I walked out there to find a 6 inch piece of tail laying on the ground.

To top it off, I saw him again a few weeks later.  I let him go at that time 'cause I figured he was just one lucky squirrel.

Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 05:10:00 PM »
LOL!!!! those are hard little buggers to and i have still yet to get one maybe next year. good shooting btw.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 05:16:00 PM »
much tougher than bunnies...thats for sure!!!!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 05:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by HO'NEHE JEFF:
LOL!!!! those are hard little buggers to and i have still yet to get one maybe next year. good shooting btw.
Get your running shoes on Jeff  :goldtooth:

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 05:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by jacobsladder:
much tougher than bunnies...thats for sure!!!!
For sure.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Kenkel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 05:23:00 PM »
Tough as nails!!  I hit one square in the screws at 15 yds last evening with a Ace hexhead and as he laid there motionless I thought I would just wait awhile and hope for a deer.  I saw him scramble after about 20 seconds and run off.  The chase was on but I couldnt catch him, I have found that If you dont hit'em in the head they will not die easy if at all.

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 05:27:00 PM »
I punched one behind the shoulder with a hex head and it didn't go anywhere...and before that I punched one behind the shoulder with a judo and it didn't go anywhere either.The hex head went in one side but not the other and the judo didn't even go though the first side!Just strecthed the skin though the ribcage and hit vitals.

Red squirrels on the other hand,I'm not so lucky with them.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »
If anyone wants a great recipe for squirrel pot pies please feel free to PM me, I have a great one we make!    :readit:

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »
This one didn't go too far.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 05:39:00 PM »
There's a reason God didn't make squirrels weigh 50#. You'd need a .375H&H minimum for them if He did. Ounce for ounce, one of the toughest critters I know of.
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »
i seen one run a little ways even after i hit him with a full choke 12ga high brass no.4s so when i shoot them with arrows i like to have something sharp on the end of the arrow versus blunt
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 05:47:00 PM »
I just shoot'em with judos and they have to drag the arrow - they don't go too far then

Jer Bear

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 05:48:00 PM »
I try and shoot them in the head or they eat the arrows. The do like to chew on wood arrow shafts.
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »
Squirrels are tough; kinda like groundhogs. That is one fat squirrel frassettor - yum  :)
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 06:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mike Most:
I try and shoot them in the head or they eat the arrows. The do like to chew on wood arrow shafts.
I did have one destroy one of my ADs! Their jaws are strong  :eek:

Offline Bob Barnes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 06:33:00 PM »
I have good luck with 190g Ribteks too...  :)
Bob
"Hello, My name is Bob and I'm a BowAholic"

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »
When I was a kid I THOUGHT I had killed one with a full choke .410 and number 4s.  NOPE!!  That sucker waited untill I picked him up and ambushed me!  Made sausages out of my arm up to the elbow!  I couldn't get rid of him fast enough.  

These days, they are still among my favorite critters.  I have got a couple with my recurve this year.  Once was a clean quick shot in the head.  The other required some legwork and a follow shot.  I dislike that, but I did get him in the freezer.  I've just gotten to the point lately where I don't try further than about a ten yard shot at them with anything because they are so quick to jump an arrow and resuslt in a tough hit.  Even then, it's not a guarantee.  And I use head that will penetrate and combine some type of cutting and impact force.  I started off with blunts and judos and never got one.  Just had some sickening hits.  I try and stake them to a tree or the ground now.  Very, very tough little animals.
Silence is golden.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »
This is an arrow that I hit a grey squirrel with. You can see that the blood goes at least as far as the end of the footing. The shot was broadside at 15 yards or so.

This is the business end.

I shot the squirrel and he fell from the spruce tree. Then he scrambled up the trunk of a dead spruce that was leaning against the first tree. I ran over to get a shot, and he slipped into a small hole.

I tried getting up to it, almost got there, but had no way to convince the squirrel to vacate, and after beating on the trunk a few times, sat down to marvel and document the experience. So I took the pictures.

As I was taking the pictures, I heard a noise. I looked to the side. There was the squirrel, at fingertip length, looking at me. I could see that he was telling me that this was a dangerous place, and I would be wise to leave forthwith. Either that, or he was mocking me for the ineffectual hunter that I am.

I threw down my glasses and camera, grabbed my bow and two arrows, and watched him gain the far side of a tree as I ran for him. I made some great leaps! But it was all for naught, as he disappeared into a hole at the base just before I got there. There was a drop of blood smeared on the wood. I said something.

I tried twisting it out, but it only climbed higher up the hollow trunk. I am sure it died in there. I felt horrible. I committed to broadheads then and there. And then, the next day, I got my chance.

Squirrel, out on a limb. Close. CE Carbon Express, footed, BIG Magnus flying hatchet on the front. Unloseable hot pink and yellow fletching on the back. Perfect shot! The squirrel disappeared, as did my arrow, and although I looked for the next two weeks, I never saw either again.

I sure do appreciate the beauty of a .22 rifle.
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©