3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hitting rabbits?  (Read 905 times)

Offline WindWalker-AK

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hitting rabbits?
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2010, 10:19:00 AM »
Mr. AkDan,
Interesting.  In our area, Hare don't seem to "hold" worth a darn.  Of course my lack of ability might have something to do with it.
Best Wishes

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »
A lot depends on what kind of rabbit you are after. They all aren't made equal.

For midwestern and rocky mountain cottontails I've always had great success with regular steel blunts, rubber blunts and Magnus blunts sans bleeder.

The little desert cottontails of south Texas are tougher than nails. I have killed a pile of them with blunts also, though a small bladed head can be more dependable.
I head shoot all rabbits when possible.

Snowshoe rabbits give it up pretty easilly to a steel blunt or bladed head.

Jackrabbits always require a broadhead and sometimes several.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2010, 01:13:00 PM »
I think I've got a great head for you to try.  Check them out at our website.

Stan

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »
Judos, Hexheads, and blunts have done us well.

Some friends hunt with broadheads though.  
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2010, 01:50:00 PM »
Old broadheads are a good idea, but there's no way I'd use them while hunting with a dog...or a large group of other rabbit hunters shooting at flushed rabbits. That's why I prefer Hex Heads for bunnies.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2010, 01:54:00 PM »
In my younger days, we used .38 special cases on 11/32 shafts, and also made some with nails. Drill two small holes and punch finishing nails thru in an "+" pattern about 1/2" from the back. File off the point or cut the nails with a hacksaw leaving 1/4 - 1/2" on each side of the casing. Drilling a hole prevents splitting the shaft when the nail is punched thru. A tight fit is important. Cut the feathers HIGH or leave full. You can buy casings if you do not have any.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline unregistered

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2010, 02:53:00 PM »
A rubber blunt works fine on head shots as said above, but I have noticed no real adavantage to shooting them with broadheads. The few times I have done it I have had pass throughs (go figure eh!) and the Rabbit ran even further than when I blunted him with a Judo. At least with a Judo there is more damage to muscle tissue and the arrows stay in the critter. I have also had rubber blunts penetrate the chest of a Rabbit when shot inside 10 yards with a 50# bow. A steel 125gr blunt inside a rubber blunt on a good carbon or aluminum arrow is my favorite.

Offline riivioristo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2010, 03:07:00 PM »
If you will be able to shoot and hit the head, blunts are ok I quess, but my experience is, that broadhead is the best, sometimes the hit will be marginal and the cutting edge will be handy...just my nickel here  ;)
You lost your money-you lost nothing, you lost your health-you lost something, you lost your personality-you lost everything...

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2010, 03:28:00 PM »
Anywhere in the head with a steel blunt works   :bigsmyl:

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Jeeps84

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2010, 12:38:00 PM »
Love the pics hope to have some for you guys soon.  
       Jeeps

Offline Tom Mussatto

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2010, 01:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:

Ever notice when an archer gets really serious about his small game hunting he picks up an American style longbow....even recurve shooters?    :)  

Very nice Charlie. Anybody can hit a moose but ya just gotta admire a guy who can fill a game bag with the small stuff. Charlie, we need to play with some bushytails this fall.
Tom Mussatto

Offline mongoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2010, 02:01:00 PM »
I have been using a product called Adder Point by Neet Archery Products, it's similar to a washer except it has 8 prongs that stand out and you just place it behind a field point or old BH, works great for both cottontails and bushytails  :thumbsup:
stalk softly and carry a bent stick

Offline soopernate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »
I dont think you even have to hit them...I once shot NEAR one with a .243 and he died straight away.  NO hole NO wound...musta had a heart attack.  I use a 5/16th nut twisted on to a wood shaft mostly but also crimp a .38 or .357 casing over a field point to make a good heavy "steel" blunt for carbon or alluminum arrows.
I humbly follow in the learned footsteps of those who precede me.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2010, 09:56:00 AM »
judo head with a washer keeps from messin em up to much
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2010, 09:58:00 AM »
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
Don't underestimate how tough they can be. I couldn't believe my eyes when I hit one with a blunt, and the arrow stopped dead, as he ran off.
Ken Thornhill

Offline J. Adams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2010, 11:24:00 AM »
I have had great success with the Ace Hex, but have many other small game points that work just as effectively.

TGMM Family of the Bow

"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
Dang! I wanna go hunt bunnies with you Charlie!..lol Here's what a dull.... well not sharpened 4 blade can do.

God bless,Mudd

PS: I spewed all over my keyboard when I read the post that had the sentence with "hare in my stew" in it. I can hear it now... "Mom! there's hare in my stew!"...lol
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »
I'm with Jason on this one. If lots of folks or dogs around I would steer clear of the broadhead. I've used the Ace Hex Heads, Blunts, and Wing Nuts, but the one I like most now are the ones I've tried this year. The Martin 2pt Skipper Stopper works awesome. I suppose the 4 pt Skipper Stopper would be excellent as well.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »
Don't let anyone tell ya they expire quickly wiyj any hit. They are as tough as nails. I have seen rabbits take 3 even 4 hits to stop them. If you are not with other people or dogs wingnut has it, an old BH works very well. Judos are tough to use because bunnies are usually in cover and they hang up on brush. Blunts are my favorite or a .38 case over a field point work well too! Just yesterday Guru drilled one thru the front part of the head and than again thru the ribs a bit back and I put another one in the head to finally kill it. He also hit another in the ribs and it dragged the arrow 60 yards and than was shot by another bunny hunter. I myself say use all the weight ya can shoot and hit them as far forward near the head or in it, if possible! Shawn
Shawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©