3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Land Navigation?  (Read 772 times)

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
Land Navigation?
« on: January 03, 2010, 08:41:00 PM »
Me and a friend have talked about a DIY Colorado elk hunt "in the next couple years" but the big woods are kind of intimidating. I myself have not used a topo map  compass combo, never had to, alway's went here and there and never really thought about it !hunted fimiliar territory, 90 to 100 acre patches, forest ground, etc...plus alway's like to think I had a good sense of direction. I'm sure most of it is self explanitory but I would like to find a good book or video on the subject. Your help is alway's appreciated, Jason

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Land Navigation?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 08:50:00 PM »
Jason, have you taken the Bowhunter Ed class? It has been several years since I took it, but Gene Hopkins taught the class then and he spent a good bit of time on Land Navigation. It was my favorite part of the class, along with the Archery History. Google "land navigation" and there some pretty good sites. Some of them deal almost entirely with GPS, but there is some good info about topo maps and compasses too. PM me your address and I will dig out some of my old books to loan ya if you want them! I know I have at least on that is strictly compass and topo maps. Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 08:59:00 PM »
Mike, This subject don't seem to be a big deal around here. I don't think they said a thing about it in hunter ed class. I took it a couple years ago with my son. I had a gps but I don't like depending on a battery powered gadget. I'll check the library, if I don't find anything that suits me I'll get back with ya! Thank's, Jason

Offline HcSmitty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 10:23:00 PM »
Now im a newbie to the trad bow thing, but finally a question has been asked i can lend a answer to.  The best thing you can do IS STARE DOWN that topo.  Just like pickin a hair on the deer.  Get familiar with bein good at readin the terrain features, and the best way is stare at it for long periods of time.  After a while youll really be able to read the terrain features.
  Learn to shoot ur aszimuth on the map and then subtract the GM angle of 9 degrees(standard 1:50,000 scale map).  Pace count can kinda be important but not really.  If u can read ur terrain features u can shoot a aszimuth, subtract the 9degrees n start walkin and just read terrain features.  Example, u kno ur start point n shoot ur aszimuth to a spot u wanna go to say 170 degrees on the map.  Add 9 degrees.  shoot 179degrees. Now look on the map n count the number of draws, roads, creeks etc u cross on the map.  Now shoot the asiumth witht the compass n start walkn n countin terrain features as u go n its that simple.  U can learn pace count too, but tryin to keep pace count n crash through the bush and stay on aszimuth is a little tricky.
   One thing to do is take a topo of local gameland, a gps a compass n some markers n set up a coarse.  Go out n plot points on the map, go to em with ur gps mark em, wait a weak n then go out n run the course.  
  The army study guide is a good start.  Dont buy into the Gimicks of a "sure fire method" to never get lost.  Land nav is actually really easy and a valuable skill to good woodsman.  Now have fun learnin.

Hunter Smith.

Offline HcSmitty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 10:25:00 PM »
Ohhhh n some land nav instructors will have their GM angle set at 8 degress, dont kno why though.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 10:38:00 PM »
Jason...Using a compass and topo are pretty easy when hunting. Many books can tell you the specifics but you really dont have to get that detailed most of the time. Most of the time you just need to know the direction to the right trail ,logging road or service road to get back to camp. Practice in the spring/summer at your local state parks and it gets pretty easy. I only use map n compass myself.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 10:49:00 PM »
Smitty's got the technical stuff covered.  And you definately should learn to use a compass.  A GPS is even handier and you might not need the compass, but don't trust everything to a mechanical device.

That all being said, personally I find that the mountains are actually very easy to navigate in.  There are large terrain features that really help keep a general idea of where you are in most places.  I often don't use the navigational devices at all once I get a little feel for the country.  Don't be intimidated, but do be smart and learn to use the tools so that you never will have a problem.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »
If I was going to Colorado, I would definitely take my GPS. Nothing wrong with that, is there? Heck, all ya need is a cheap Garmin eTrex. If it's a pride thing, I believe I would swallow it.   ;)    :)
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Baswa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 10:51:00 PM »
Buy a Garmin 530 HS and download the Colorado Topo into it. I think they have it on 1:24000 now whic is like the USGS topo map. Then you have a 5 watt radio, weather radio, gps with barometer and compass and map. If you hunt with a partner you can keep up with each other on the GPS.

The battery will last about 24 hr. But no need to leave it on all the time. Use GPS to give you a bearing and them use your compass to stay on course.

I agree a good map and compass is great and really all you need but the new GPS allows you to keep up with your hunting party. An really could be a life saver if one of you gets lost or hurt. You can have your GPS find their GPS even if they are unable to respond back to you.

We goto Colorado most years and the GPS has really allowed us to move out into areas that we would not have hunted without them.

Check out Maptools website they have all you need for navigation.

Good Luck.

Take a compass and map for a backup. Set the GPS to UTM coordinates and learn to use UTM rather than Lat and Long. Mark you map according to the UTM tick marks on the map. Goto Maptools and they sell books and tools on navigation.

Offline HcSmitty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 10:52:00 PM »
Thas more orienterring than land nav.  You should have learned that for sure in ur Hunter Safety class.

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
It is already stated, you can find good information on the net, get a land nav book from the corps or army and a good compass, and the most important thing is to practice, practice, reading a map and terrain assosciation takes little practice, reading compass and using it is easy, ensure you know your pace count, the amount of steps you take at one hundred yards at a normal walking pace, this way following your azmiuth and pace count can look at map and know exactly where you are.

Offline Baswa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 11:01:00 PM »
We were going hunting once when GPS's first came out. So we stopped by Walmart and bought one. The guy that was going to use it played with it on the way and the next day he headed into the woods. We found him about 11:00 that night walking down a road quite aways from where he had entered his hunting area.

He was tried and had been lost since dark and made the statement that the GPS really came in handy.

We did not understand since he had been lost for sometime.

He said when the batteries in your flashlight go down then you can take the batteries out of your GPS so your flashlight can work.  HA !!!!

Moral of story is:

Whatever method you choose learn to use your equipment before you really NEED it.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 11:21:00 PM »
In Colorado. I've been places and  in weather that if I didn't have a compass I'd still be there. Hoping to cross a road before getting into serious trouble seemed a poor proposition given how much ruggedness existed between me and them. I've been into enough tough contry out here to know I don't want to have to traverse it if I don't want to. Like at night with weather coming.

I can't speak to GPS' since I don't use one, but its a great feeling of accomplishment to sit on a ridge, take your map and using the surrounding heights of land pin point your location with a compass by triangulation.

This is not meant to be a Compass is better than GPS thing-  I simply like my compass because the very simplicity of it embodies the same reasons I am into trad hunting. Basic, no frills always works. With a little effort pre-hunt on my end a compass is rock solid under any conditions and I feel totally secure using one anyplace I dare tread.
I have to mark "sweet spots" using a marker on a map. I must record my data in my head or in a note book. I love these physical reminders- the thing itself- as a way to bring meaning to what I choose to do and learn in the woods.

I hope this makes sense but using a compass requires me to make wise choices regarding where I walk before the S--t hits the fan.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 12:27:00 AM »
Covey all the above is good advice. I'll throw my 2 cents worth in.

When it comes to hunting a new area study maps and air photos before hand. I told my sons to always think of the "big picture" when navigating. By that I mean try to create a model of the terrain in your head as though you were an eagle looking down on it from a great height. Google Earth and stereo photography are magic for this.

Gross navigation can be done using the position of the sun for short periods.

Your compass is always right. Trust it. (It has the advantage of not being able to think and get itself into trouble.)

In mountainous country there are often only two directions...up and down.

Don't put your hunt off. The years will fly by so fast you'll wonder what happened.

JW
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 12:51:00 AM »
A map and compass and the skill to use it is first. But a good GPS (i use a Garmin 60csx) makes it so much easier.. The reception is excellent, even in heavy Oregon tree cover, never lost a signal) I downloaded garmin topo maps that were excellent, showing even old logging roads when zoomed in enough.You always know EXACTLY where you are. My unit runs on AA batteries and will run almost all day on a charge and i just carry 8 extra's for my flash light and gps.. way more than enough.
"Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do."

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 12:54:00 AM »
I carry Both. Maps and compass and my GPS. I use the Gps all the time, the map/comp are for electronics failure.
"Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do."

Offline buks2hunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 07:03:00 AM »
Don't get tied into the GM angle being 8 or 9 all the time. It changes where everyou are at in the world due to polarity an or mineral deposis. My 2 cents the rest of the information is spot on. Trust your compass.

Brew
Big bucks look good on the wall, but I still haven't found a way to tenderize those bones!

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 05:43:00 PM »
Thank's for the response fella's, I would like to rely a little more on myself than a gps. I had an etrex once and it would take forever to acquire sat. signal. I know there's better ones, just don't have the money right now. GPS is a good thing not doggin them at all just want to be sufficient with map and compass!! Thank's Jason

Offline sj_lutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »
Here's a link to the Army's land nav manual.  There's some stuff in it that's particular to the military, but by in large it's a pretty solid reference.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/3-25-26/

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 07:08:00 PM »
If you need some tips on land nav.I was a forward observer in the Marines I would be glad to help you out with map orientation,azimuth,section resections,and basic no how.    :thumbsup:    :coffee:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©