3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: All Wapiti  (Read 3844 times)

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: All Wapiti
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »
Hey, Ferrett

There's a real good story about that bull...last 15 minutes of a 6 day hunt- saw 40+ bulls over 5 points- shot him at around 4-5 yards...I was on the ground, backed into one of those trees, and he walked by me at about 4-5 feet! He looked right at me, but didn't figure me out and just turned to walk away.

These threads always bring back the smells and sights of the high lonely country to me- the wind blowing through the ponderosas, the billions of stars in that impossibly clear sky up on the divide, smell of pine wood fires while people sit around and tell stories and plan the next day's hunt- cold, but snug in your bag at night.

Close encounters with mulies, the occasional crazy antelope, mountain lions, lightning bolts from pop up thunderstorms- I just dream of the day I can return to my favorite place on earth- the Rocky Mountains and my favorite prey- ELK!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2010, 12:49:00 AM »
Ray I was told that I need to here you tell that story. It must be a little more exiciting than written words can tell. I might have to give you a call some time or just come hunt hogs with you once.

There is a saying about hunting elk. "The work starts after the fall down." Earlier Joe ashton said he got an elk to fall just right for him a mile from the truck and all down hill, I need to learn to ask them to do that before I shoot. That was a nice bull Joe.   :bigsmyl:  

It sure is nice when you get it all back to camp though. These are from last year.

Loading packs.

My Dad and I after three miles of not so fun country

Alomst home

It sure is nice to take those packs off at the end of the trip when you are back at camp.

TGMM Family of The Bow

Online ShadeMt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2010, 10:01:00 AM »
Randy,

Your success has been great motivation for 2011 when I will have 3 preference points for WY.   Thanks for sharing.  

Clay

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2010, 10:09:00 AM »
I hope you guys are all proud of yourselves ! I got Drool all over my computer keys LOL,Great Pics .
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline elknut1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
Hey, great thread guys! I just noticed it, nice to see all the success, great job!

ElkNut1

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »
Elknut you you should have some pics to add dont you. You know clay you can draw in several areas with that many points  especially in the sounthern part of the state and the western.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Online ShadeMt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2010, 02:41:00 PM »
I am looking into some different areas, mainly in the western part.  I had just been planning to get a general tag but I guess I should take the time to study the draw odds before using points on a general tag.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2010, 12:35:00 PM »
There are some really good general areas. I took two really nice bulls a general area.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Jmgcurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2010, 12:39:00 PM »
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:notworthy:    :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
Life is not about surviving the storm, but learning to dance in the rain!
Blessed is the Nation whose God is the LORD,... Psalm 33:12

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2010, 11:59:00 PM »
This *AWESOME* thread belongs back on PAGE 1!

2010 is going to be a fantastic year for hunting!

Shoot straight, Shinken
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2010, 06:45:00 AM »
This year will be my first crack at Elk with a light stick. Because my shoulders from construction and age are hamburg I'm only shooting about 51#s. I'll be using a Terminator head on 500FMJs with inserts tiping the scale at 545grns. I'll be in the San Isabel Nat Forest chasing them for ten days. I'm also picking up a deer and bear tag. I build points betwean Colorado and Montana. Colorado is it this time. Gotta love chasing the mighty wapiti.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2010, 12:15:00 PM »
Mike good luck to you. get quartering away and stay off that big old leg bone and you will bring home elk.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »
Awesome stories and awesome pictures. Thanks for the inspirations and drool. Anyone have pictures of elk being packed out on horse or horse/mule packing or horse/mules in camp pictures?
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2010, 06:31:00 PM »
Ferrett that's a TOAD that guy in the ball cap is holding onto!!!!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: January 10, 2010, 07:47:00 PM »
Ray that is me and the bull that I got last year.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: January 10, 2010, 08:01:00 PM »
yikes..how did I miss THAT one????!!!!

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: January 10, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
Here you go Ray. I bet you saw it. I just never posted that picture before.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=90;t=000283
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2010, 11:43:00 AM »
John that is an awesome picture.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Mark U

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2010, 11:28:00 PM »
I would have put some pictures on here earlier, but had to sort through a few to get back in time.  I didn't start bowhunting elk until the late 70's or so, but had some success.  This is a bull from the early 80's I think.  Probably a Kodak instamatic and one of my kids took the picture.  Bill, that would be a Groves wooden handle takedown.  Not to be traded for blonds.

1991.  First year with a longbow.  Doug fir shafts and a wolverine broadhead.  He was trying to circle me after eight hours of combat and the arrow broke his neck just in front of his ribcage.  Dropped, but had to shoot him in the lungs to kill him.  Felt bad about it.  Probably the heaviest elk I've ever shot.  He was missing half of his left antler.

1994.  Thayne said "DAD, ELK", and I woke up and killed this bull.

Role reversal.  I said "Git over there!!!"
Same bow from the '94 year, but my son was using it.  He made a good shot.

Some of the elk I have killed never get their picture taken, and their antlers got left for the rodents.  I do bring some racks back, if we have horses.

Woodsman after work.

From last fall.  

So don't wait until you retire to go hunting and fishing.  Don't even wait for your annual vacation.  Go at every opportunity.  Things that appear urgent at the moment may, in the long run, turn out to be far less so.

Ted Trueblood

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©