3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: wood arrow internal weight  (Read 411 times)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
wood arrow internal weight
« on: January 03, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »
I have drilled a 1/8th inch hole in the tip of my wood arrows to various depths. Then I glued a piece of stainless rod cut to length in the hole. I have added up to 300 grains doing this. The thought was how do I add front weight without adding things to the tip that seem to me would act like a lever in an off angle shot trying to break my arrow. My other thought was this may well work as one heck of a footing. My next experiment might be with a small tube inserted into the hole going in around 4-5 inches. Then inside the tube I'd fill with lead for maybe an inch or two to get the weight I want.
Anyone ever try this? or ever heard of someone doing it?  Maybe I'm traveling down a path proven to be a dead end. I haven't broken an arrow yet or had any real problems. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: wood arrow internal weight
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 10:34:00 PM »
One of the sponsor's here sells a jig for drilling a hole in the front of wood shafts for doing like you did.For me I never felt the need,I would just use a heavier point.I'm not convinced that EFOC works well with wood arrows.but it doesn't hurt to experiment with new things.JMO

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
I'm not convinced it's the way to go either. I'm just messin around. It's cold out and I need something to do.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 11:40:00 PM »
Have you fitted a lighted nock into the back end yet? (on a woodie)
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 11:48:00 PM »
nope, Never even thought of it. Could be fun

Offline Stickbow98

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 11:55:00 PM »
I've used Braveheart's internal footing jig to add weight to the front of my arrows and I like the way they fly and penetrate with it. Can't imagine going in 4-5 inches though. Are you using a press to do this?    :confused:  

>>--Ron--<>
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 12:03:00 AM »
yes, If I tried to go free hand I'd have whistle arrows..lol. I'll have to look at the jig you're speaking of. I'm just clamping them in a homemade jig on a press....really low tech. A piece of angle steel with a couple clamps bolted to it to press the arrow into the angle joint.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 12:22:00 AM »
I bought a footing jig from 3Rivers for this purpose, looked like a good way to add a little weight and reinforce the shaft.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 10:22:00 AM »
Thee were several threads on this topic last year.  I've been experimenting with it for some time.  Made my own jig so I could drill different size holes in different size shafts.  Wrote an article about it which is in a past issue of Trad Archers World.

It works to a point.  A good way to add a little weight if you're using a fairly light point, say 125-130 grains, and shoot a fairly light weight bow, 50# or less.  However, there are a lot of newer heavier (175-200 grains and more) heads out now that obviate the need for an internal footing.

The problem with trying to achieve EFOC with wood is that wood usually isn't found in spines high enough to handle it.  Loading up the front end with 250-300 grains of steel,lead or whatever, requires another 30-40# of spine or more.  If one shoots a moderate or heavier weight bow, or has a long draw, it's just not possible to find wood shafts with sufficiently high spine.  Fun to play around with though.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 11:16:00 AM »
Zradix, how deep did you have to go to get 300 grains?  I've been doing this using 1/8" lead wire at 35 gr/in; somewhat heavier than stainless.  I also use a drill press and jig and find that 2" is pretty easy, but 3" is about the practical max for me.

I've not had the chance to try my front loaded woods on game as yet, but I really like the way they shoot, and I can get good weight from the lighter wood shafts this way.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »
I only need about another 10 pounds of spine to shoot 250 grain points, but my bow is cut to center, not past.  Bows cut to center or less are really key to point loading regardless of the shafting material used.

I really like the way a Surewood flies and penetrates with a 250 grain point.  Using the jig plus a heavy glue on point really helps boost overall weight.  I'm currently building another batch of Surewoods that will also use 250 gr points, and total arrow weight will be over 700 grains!  :thumbsup:  

Surewoods also are consistently available in spines as high as 115#.

The Internal Point Weight and Footing Jig is currently available at 3Rivers Archery and Braveheart Archery for those who are interested in trying one.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 02:24:00 PM »
I liked the idea and bought one of the jigs, and it works great. My problem comes with the fact that I already shoot arrows in 650-750gr range. So adding a nail up front strengthen my shaft at the tip but my arrows were above 850gr., more than needed for my low 60lb selfbows. So I would have to go to a wood shaft that has lower weight but 65lb spine or better. I know there are woods out there that will work such as Hildibrand Spruce shafts but I like making my own from boards and nothing available around my area that I have tried has worked so far. So I stay with ash with what has worked in the past and shoot true antelope and deer without difficulty. Will be doing some more experimenting this winter, even if I dont use the shafts it is fun messing around in the shop.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 12:55:00 PM »
Fletcher.. That time I was using some 3/16th stainless rod. It weighed about 58 grains an inch. I ended up putting about 5 3/16" of rod in the arrow.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 04:31:00 PM »
You begin to get less and less return for your work the longer you go. "if you're looking for efoc" Since the weight is not at the tip of the arrow it isn't as effective at changing the balance point. Now as far as an internal footing...I don't know where to stop. That's why I was thinking about a front weighted tube inserted way up in there. Haven't done it yet. Gotta find my missing "roundtoit" I know it's here somewhere...

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 04:36:00 PM »
Fletcher. I found that "pecking" at it was the secret to getting a deep hole.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©