INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Solana 2010  (Read 11010 times)

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Solana 2010
« Reply #100 on: January 07, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »
Shep I will be back soon. I am bummed I missed this year but I will be there soon. I am really thinking that I may come down there and go hog hunting next month.
TGMM Family of The Bow

« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2010, 11:50:00 AM »
One of you guys needs to e-mail me next year when you come down. I live about 25 miles from the ranch and would love to come up and meet all of y'all.

Congrats to those who were successful this year.

Bisch

Offline Gary Sorensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: January 08, 2010, 11:54:00 AM »
Hello all-
My wife and I spent a couple of days moutain biking in Texas following the hunt before starting the drive back to California. I just got in last night.

I had an incredible time on the hunt and very much enjoyed getting to know some of my Tradgang brothers which was one of the major draws for me in going.  Being fairly new to all this, I feel extremely fortunate to have been able to take a nice 8 point buck.  I will post some pictures and tell the story a bit later today.

Offline Gary Sorensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: January 08, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »
I have been bowhunting with traditional equipment for about four years now with no prior hunting experience of any kind.  The buck taken on this hunt is my forth animal (others were a hog, a javelina, and a small 2x2 California mule deer).  This was my first opportunity to hunt from a tree stand as all my other hunting has been from the ground.

It was New Years morning around 7am that I was in my stand and saw several deer starting to move in.  There ended up being four bucks, two of them being 8 pointers and the others smaller.  I focussed in on the deer with the largest rack and waited for an opportunity.  The deer were very jumpy and and with four sets of eyes and ears it took a while for all conditions to be right.  Then there it was, all four where busy eating and the deer I wanted was broadside to me at about 18 yards.  All I needed was for him to step forward with his front leg and expose his vitals.  As soon as he did I drew and shot.  I aimed a little low and back as had been recommended by Terry and those with experience here.  It turned out to be a very good hit and I watched as the deer dashed off about 60 yards and crumpled within sight.  My heart was pounding with excitement as it was obvious he was down for the count.

I was shooting an A&H ACS 60# @ 31.5" with a full length Traditional Only 400 shaft with a 100 grain brass insert and 150 grain 4-blade Magnus Stinger broadhead.

I forgot my camera that moring but fortunatly Carlton had his camera and gracously emailed me the following pictures.

IMG]http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss296/GarySorensen/2010-01-04010.jpg[/IMG]

Offline Gary Sorensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: January 08, 2010, 01:30:00 PM »
Here are a couple more.

Online Bob Walker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: January 08, 2010, 01:32:00 PM »
Nice buck, Gary, Congrats!!!!
Philippians 4:13

TGMM - Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Gary Sorensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: January 08, 2010, 01:38:00 PM »
Thanks Bob.  I was real sorry you were not able to make it this year.  I hope to perhaps meet and hunt with you some time in the future.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: January 08, 2010, 01:39:00 PM »
Hey Micheal What bow are you shooting?
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: January 08, 2010, 01:51:00 PM »
Gary that is a dandy texas deer. A great story as well. You called the texas duck and made it work. Congratulations on your fourth kill with traditional.

That looks like roberts Taz in the kennel on the truck there.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Sharptop

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: January 08, 2010, 02:56:00 PM »
Gary forgot to mention that his arrow went right through the lower heart, hit the off leg and broke it and exited the other side breaking off about 8 inches from the broadhead. So a double passthrough.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: January 08, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »
Gary's buck was a beauty.  The broken tine adds some great character.  I haven't had much to add as I did not end up with any game in the cooler.  I thought I would add some picts, though Chris and his dad have done a great job of giving a taste of the sights on the ranch (I really liked Larry's picts of the river crossing).

I did have two deer I considered in front of me, one the first morning who was about sixteen inches wide with nice honey colored antlers.  He was only a 7 pointer and I was looking for an 8, so being the first morning I passed.  Here is pict of the young buck that arrived a few minutes ahead of the 7.

As you can see there was a lot of lush green in the sheltered areas

But still a lot classic brown and prickly pear views from the stands I had imagined in my vision of Texas before I got there.

Shep and the other guides had some great bow stands.  I spent a lot of time in live oak trees with lots of branches and leaves to hide the hunter, with some shooting lanes.  I had another nice 8 come in on the night of New Years day.  He was only about 15" but good mass and tall tines.  When he came into the shooting lane I started to draw when he was broadside and his near side leg was back.  Just as I reached full draw he turned into me giving me only a shot into the near side shoulder.  I let down and he spun and was out of the lane before I could react.  Even slow in Texas is hopping by Maine standards.  I saw more deer in the four days than I will probably see in the next four years. It was great to be in camp with the others and some day I hope to get back.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: January 08, 2010, 07:46:00 PM »
Congrats again Gary.

Nice pix Michael. Still remember you telling the story of the nice 7 and that little guy in the picture.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: January 08, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »
Good stuff fellas...sure miss Solana!

Sure did miss Ol Shep as well, I always loved the rides and talks around camp with David...

Congrats to all...but there sure seems to be a shortage of pictures this year....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: January 08, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
Michael Stenstrom was the last person to sign up for the hunt after some last minute cancellations by others. He and I had arranged to share a hotel room in Austin the night before the hunt, and he arrived there just before midnight because his plane had been delayed in New Jersey. After he woke me up with a telephone call to get me to let him into the room, we stayed up a long time talking. Michael is a good guy, a good hunter, a good shot and even makes very nice knives and turkey box calls. I am sure glad he came along. He was a great addition to a wonderful group of TradGangers.

One day during the middle of the trip John took the hunters in his group to the pasture that was more remote and quite a bit rougher than the other pastures we hunted. I was the last guy to be dropped off at my stand. I liked that spot except that the ladder stand was not secured tightly and would move around and make noise when I shifted my weight to get in a different position. After the feeder went off some deer started arriving. Finally, there were six does wandering around under my stand. Since I had only killed one doe and could shoot another, I decided to take a shot at the largest of the does around the feeder. When that doe was quartering away from me feeding and all the others seemed to be feeding and looking other directions, I started to draw. Immediately the deer jumped and scattered like a bunch of marines who had just had a grenade tossed in their foxhole. The reaction was immediate, and it seemed that the deer I was about to shoot was the one who initiated the panic. I think she saw me drawing in her peripheral vision even though she was bent over eating and facing mostly away from me. I have heard that with their eyes placed largely at the sides of their heads deer can see in a 310 degree arc, just 50 degrees shy of full vision all around their bodies. Perhaps the deer heard some noise I made too, but I have never seen such nervous deer. Those Solana deer are wired with 220 volts, not the usual 110 volts. Needless to say, I never got an arrow off.

Here is another equipment review. As I mentioned earlier, I had Paul Mattson at Badger Arrows build me a couple of dozen arrows for the hunt. Like my new Shrew and my new Sitka Gear clothing, some of my equipment was new and arrived just in time to pack for the hunt. I had never used the new arrows until I arrived at the Solana Ranch. The arrows I got were the wood grained AD Trad Lites and the wood grained AD Hammerhead Trad Lites -- a dozen of each. Each of them was cut to 31" and had 100 grain brass inserts, unibushings, g-nocks, fletching wraps, and 4 x 4" 90 degree left wing feathers. I was using 150 grain points/broadheads. I have found the AD shafts to be very tolerant of differences in draw weight and point mass. The Trad Lite arrows I have shot do well using bows from 45 pounds to 60 pounds or a bit more with 30" to 31" arrows and total insert/point weights of 150 to 400 grains. Obviously, at the extremes of these combinations, arrow flight can become a little ragged, but I am always amazed at how broad the flight envelope really is with the tapered AD shafts. They may not be the best target arrows available, but they sure are good for hunting where you may want to change your setup around to meet the conditions. On this hunt I chose 150 grain points and mainly shot with the Hammerhead Trad Lites. I had never used the HH Lites; however, I have shot the HH "heavies" quite a lot out of my heavier bows, so I had a very good idea how the Lites would shoot. Ted Fry designed the Hammerheads to be very tough, weight forward shafts, and they are both of those things. I have never damaged a Hammerhead by shooting it. I do like the unibushings and g-nocks because they are super tough like the rest of the arrow and the nocks won't come out unless you want them to, but they are easy to remove and replace when you need to. I will go into that more when I talk about the 3 Rivers takedown case I used on this trip. The arrows looked great with the wraps and bright yellow (Trad Lites) or florescent pink (HH Lites) feathers. I used the different colors of feathers so I could tell at a glance which shaft I was using. My new Shrew is 54# at my 29.5" draw, and the arrows were flying very well. When I shot my doe I got a complete pass through and found my blood-soaked arrow lying on the ground on the far side of the deer. Penetration on the buck was good for where I hit him at 28 yards slant distance, but it was going to take a lot higher poundage in bow weight and a lot more mass in arrow weight to get a complete pass through when the deer was hit full broadside in the heaviest, thickest part of the rear ham. The arrows definitely met every expectation I could have had for them. As it turned out, I did not use the Trad Lites on this hunt, but I have used the same shafts extensively in the past and believe they are among the best hunting shafts available. I am now convinced after trying the Hammerhead Lites for the first time that they are even better than the Trad Lites for most purposes. On my Hammerhead "heavies" I had Paul Mattson install aluminum collars behind the brass inserts. That makes the arrows even tougher and more resistant to damage, but it also makes them harder to pull out of targets. I thought the Trad Lites and HH Lites I got for this trip would do fine without the collars, and that was correct. I do have some collars that I could install by pulling the inserts and reinstalling them with the collars behind them, but I probably won't. Because the HH Lites do not cost much more than the Trad Lites, I will favor buying the HH Lites in the future.

I only have one significant problem with the arrows I have received from Paul. They are beautiful and well constructed in every way except for the somewhat annoying problem of some of the inserts coming loose. I had that happen on some of the HH Trad Heavies I bought to take to Africa with me and ended up pulling all the points and re-gluing them using 24 hour marine epoxy. With the current batch of arrows I had a couple of brass inserts and one unibushing come out. I was able to re-glue the unibushing and one of the inserts, but the other insert and a screwed in field tip pulled out when I was pulling the arrow from the target we were all shooting at in camp. That did not make me happy, but I was then even less happy when Gary Sorenson shot one of his arrows into the target and hit my insert/point. To my embarrassment, the insert/point of his arrow was driven backwards into the shaft, splitting it like an old musket that gets fired with mud plugging up the end of the barrel. Chris Surtees was kind enough to provide me with a new brass insert and the glue to put it and another insert back into my shafts permanently. I don't know if it is the glue Paul has been using, or the amount of the glue, or contamination in the shaft, or some other cause, but the bonding of the inserts in the shafts is the only improvement I could suggest to Paul that would make the arrows he has built for me just about perfect. Once the inserts that were loose were re-glued, the arrows looked great and performed flawlessly. I just wish that buck had not run off with my new arrow in his rear!

I still have some more hunting stories and some stories about how stupid I was to take along a whole bunch of new equipment without having tested it before on other outings. I got lucky this time, but things could have gone bad if my untested equipment had not performed as expected. One thing I wish I had brought is a much brighter headlamp. The headlamp I brought was not bright enough to illuminate hogs sufficiently to shoot them after dark. I should have bought one at Cabela's when I went there before the hunt with Terry Green and Gregg Dudley. Oh well, next year I will know.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Gary Sorensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: January 08, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »
Allen-
That new Shrew of yours is not only gorgeous but a very impressive shooter.  Thanks for letting me try it out.  I was amazed that a 56" bow could have such a smooth draw out to my longish 31.5 inches.  Sometime I would like to add a shorter bow to my 66" ACS and 66" Blacktail recurve.  Although its not in the budget just yet, you have me thinking about a Shrew Classic Hunter.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: January 08, 2010, 11:10:00 PM »
Gary,

You sure shot my Shrew well, but then you shot your bows well too. I am always amazed that the little Shrews work so well with long draw archers and can offer a good alternative to bows that are almost a foot longer. It was great getting to hang out with you between hunts and back at the bunk house. We had a great bunch of guys there. I'm glad that you and your wife enjoyed the trip to Texas. I hope to see you back next year at Solana.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: January 09, 2010, 10:25:00 AM »
Yes Curt...not as many pics as usual by far...but like stated earlier....too much rain.  It not only effected our hunt...but the other 3 hunts as well.....Oct, Nov, and Dec.  There were only around a dozen bucks killed the WHOLE season. It was like spring time the whole season and finally got cold for the 1st time half way through our hunt.

That means that next year there will be more and bigger bucks on the ranch....and I'm betting the weather will be better making the hunt more like the 6 I've been to before.

Lord willing....I'll be there!!!    :pray:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: January 09, 2010, 11:17:00 AM »
Looks like a good time by all. Hunting sometime gets tough, even in Texas. Glad you guys had a safe trip and a good time.  :thumbsup:

Offline bro-n-arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: January 09, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »
Way to go Gary! Now you are hooked for sure.
Psalm 71:18 Now also when I am old and gray-headed,O God, do not forsake me,Until I declare your strength to this generation.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: January 09, 2010, 02:38:00 PM »
I missed Gary's post....Congrats again!!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©