INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Solana 2010  (Read 11149 times)

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Solana 2010
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »
That is a dandy buck. Just how wide is he? Wide enough to shoot for sure. Congratulations on your success.  :thumbsup:

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2010, 05:01:00 PM »
20 and a quarter inches!!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2010, 05:06:00 PM »
Congrats Allan!! Great story, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to more good reading about Solana!
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline turkey522

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2010, 05:27:00 PM »
Looks like everyone had a great time.Congrats on a nice buck.Thanks to everyone for the stories.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2010, 06:46:00 PM »
I was at Solana in Nov 09 and it is an outstanding place, I saw more deer, pigs and turkey than you can imagine. Killed a nice pig but me and the deer did not agree,LOL. The two I shot at did not duck and I aimed low so of course the arrow went below them,LOL. Come heck or high water I will be at the 2011 TG Solana hunt. Keep the stories and pics coming.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2010, 06:47:00 PM »
I ended up passing on two 8 pointers from 'The Killin Tree'...I'll try and post some pics from that stand in the morn....

That stand produced a 10 last year for me, and an 8 pointer on my Bday 3 years ago.  Its a special stand for me for sure.

I also passed on a couple of 8s from 'The Grand Stand' that produced a 10 for me a couple of years ago and Guru's funky buck last year.

Its fun revisiting those stands full of memories.

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2010, 07:02:00 PM »
Thanks Kevin. I got the message while I was there at the ranch that you said "hello".

On with the stories. Two mornings after I shot my doe John dropped me off at a new tree stand. I always volunteered for the highest stand because most of the guys in John's truck (Larry Surtees, Boyd Stayley, Wayne LaBauve and Tommy Bell) aren't too fond of heights. At about 23 feet high, this tree stand was a little lower than the one where I was sitting when I shot the doe. I was taking my usual little cat nap when the feeder went off at 7 am. Even when you are awake and alert, the sound of the feeder going off is always startling. I went back to sleep and then awoke to a crunching noise. As I became aware of my surroundings I realized that the noise was a deer eating corn at the feeder. It turned out to be a young buck, although in the dim early light it initially looked like a doe. After awhile it wandered off. Later I noticed several does coming in to feed. Since we had two does we could shoot, I decided to take one if I could. The does came in, but like all the other deer, they were extremely skittish. Everything seemed to spook them. After awhile, a nice sized 8 point buck and the little buck I had seen earlier walked in and the does decided to leave. Although the 8 point was one that I would always pass on at home in Oklahoma, I had seen that it was a nice deer for the Austin area, so I decided I would shoot it if given a chance. After failing to present a shot, the bucks left that area and I settled down to wait for John to return in the truck to pick me up. To my surprise, I heard corn crunching again and slowly looked over to see that the two bucks had returned. After a long wait, the smaller buck turned to face directly away from me and the larger buck was quartering away 26 yards from the base of my tree and about 28 yards slant distance from where I sat. The bigger buck was just a couple of yards directly on the other side of the feeder, so my shot was between the feeder legs. I aimed low on the buck's body and near the last rib so the arrow would hopefully enter his right side, range up through the buck's body taking out both lungs and exiting his chest just inside his left front leg. The shot was perfect, but as I watched the arrow fly, the buck squatted, pushed off with his left front hoof, and turned directly broadside with his right side facing toward me. The arrow made a beeline straight for the center of his right rear ham and made a tearing noise as it penetrated half its length into the flesh. The deer stiffened at the impact and then slowly hobbled away behind the cedars. Unlike my doe where I immediately saw a saucer sized blood stain around the entry hole, I saw absolutely no blood coming from the buck's wound.

I text messaged Terry the details of my shot and both of us decided I needed to quietly slip out of my stand before the truck got there and leave the buck unpressured so he would hopefully lie down and bleed out or stiffen up. We would then go back for lunch and return with the dogs. I followed that plan, and upon being picked up by John found out that Larry Surtees had put an arrow in a doe a short distance away from me. Larry has a great story that I will let him tell; however, I will say that the story of Larry's hunt was written on the ground where it all took place.

After lunch a number of us went back to look for the doe and the buck that Larry and I had shot. I won't tell you what happened with Larry's doe, but I can say that with my buck we found no sign of any blood and certainly did not see the deer. Robert's dog, Robert, Terry Green, Jeff Berberick, Larry and I did a lot of walking and looking, and some of the other guides helped out too, but it seems my broadhead did not cut any vital tissue. The buck probably pulled out the arrow and went off to heal from the clean cut of a sharp broadhead. I was hoping to recover my arrow with it still attached to that deer.   :rolleyes:  Although the arrow did not hit where I had hoped, with the way the deer at Solana move upon hearing the string release, I was probably doing well to have even hit the animal. I did find the spot in the mud where the buck had pushed off sideways with his left front hoof and left a mark like someone scraping a flat edge 4 inches across the ground. It sure made it easy to see exactly where the deer was standing when I shot. My hits on flesh were now two for two with the new Classic Hunter, but I was disappointed that my kill ratio was only 50%.

Now a little about the new Sitka Gear clothing I was using. I had brought along the 90% jacket, the Celcius bib, the Celcius vest, the Celcius jacket, the Traverse beanie, and the Kelvin jacket. Some of the other guys like Carlton Carter and Michael Langahans also wore some of their Sitka Gear, although I seemed to have the most items of anyone. I also wore light merino wool long underwear and heavy Polar Dry long underwear along with wool socks, gloves, a hand muff and additional headgear. The Sitka Gear is great stuff, but as many people have observed, most of it is not designed to sit motionless in a tree stand in freezing temperatures and keep you warm. The exception was when I added the Kelvin jacket to the Celcius bibs, vest and jacket. The insulating properties of the Kelvin jacket helped create the warm, cozy (and still non-bulky) protective cocoon around me that I was hoping for. The Sitka Gear is extremely well made and well worth what I paid for it, especially since I got it on closeout sales at almost half off the normal retail price. I have not yet received the Sitka Gear underwear I ordered, but I was very happy with the merino wool and Polar Dry underwear I got from Cabela's. I doubt that I will see appreciable improvement in performance from the Sitka Gear underwear compared to what I used at the hunt; however, the Cabela's underwear cost me about the same as what I am paying for the Sitka Gear underwear, and both were on sale. I also wore a pair of Cabela's Mountain Hunter boots that were fairly new and I had never used before on a hunt. Even though they were the uninsulated ones, they were fairly warm with the merino wool socks and were super comfortable. In fact the boots were the only shoes I wore the entire trip other than using some Crocs around the cabin as house shoes. I am not sponsored by Sitka Gear like Guru and J.C. are, but having used the clothing every day on this hunt, I can say that everything that Guru and J.C. have written about Sitka Gear is 100% accurate, which should not come as a surprise to those who know these fellow TradGangers.

More hunting stories and gear reviews later.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Larry Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2010, 08:12:00 PM »
Great stories so far, with great times remembered, and with great folks from the "Solana Experience".

I posted several pics earlier in this thread that showed the beauty of the Solana Ranch.  I, too, saw a lot of animals.  Most were out of my range for shots.  But the large flocks of turkeys, the sounders of pigs, and the deer made for an interesting time.  On my second morning hunt, I believe I was in one of the most beautiful (scenery wise) stands on the ranch -- even Terry remarked about this stand location as he had not seen it in all of his visits to the ranch.  It overlooked a big pond (tank) and the Texas Hill Country theme was in abundance all around.  But on that morning, and as soon as I was able to make out the Countryside, 4 does came in.  Since I did not have a deer trad kill and I wanted to take a deer, I picked out the biggest doe and waited for a good shot opportunity.  She finally gave me a clear broadside shot at about 20 yards.  I was told that nine out of 10 deer will duck when that arrow is released, so I figured my odds were better with aiming a little lower.  But I got that 1 out of 10 that didn't duck.  My arrow hit low in back of the front shoulder.  The doe reard up on its hind legs and fell back into a large cactus.  The arrow broke off at the fletchings when she rolled over.  But she got back up and disappeared into the nearby cedars.  The blood trail quickly came to an end, and unfortunately no recovery was made.  The afternoon hunt on the 3rd day was the most exciting for me as I had 2 bucks come in -- one was a 5 point and the other a nice 8 point that spent over 15 minutes crunching corn when a real nice 9 point caught the corner of my eye over to my right side.  I was holding out for the 9 point not only because he was the largest of the 3, but he displayed a beautiful, deep chocolate-colored set of antlers.  This magestic animal kept his distance and was bone still for over 3 - 3 minute intervals just staring off opposite of where I was tucked away in a stand 18 feet off the ground.  I thought to myself that the 8 point was looking better and better because the 9 point didn't appear he was going to come in range for a shot.  But it didn't matter because there was a faint grunting sound coming from my right side.  The grunting got louder and louder and a sounder of pigs appeared and were moving about like ants.  The deer quickly left the area.  There was one big boar in the sounder, but he never came within shooting range.  So as darkness slowly fell, I turned on a rigged-up headlamp on my bow and took a shot at the closest pig who was about 20 yards.  The arrow soared right over the back and sparks flew as my broadhead hit the rocks.  My last morning, I had another large flock of birds come in, but again the shot distance was too far.  

My congratulations to Michael on his very nice buck, as well as to Gary who I'll let tell about his kill.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2010, 10:02:00 PM »
Here are some pix of the group hanging out waiting for the brief and first hunt to begin.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2010, 10:03:00 PM »
Couple shots of the moon set and sun rise.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »
Some of the guides tracking dogs.

Here is a young male Blue Lacy (Texas Cow Dog)

Couple pix of Stubby John's tracking partner and constant companion.

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2010, 10:15:00 PM »
Great Pics Chris, keep them coming!
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2010, 11:15:00 PM »
Group Photo

Upper row left to right: Stabow (Boyd Staley), Gary Sorenson, Sharptop (Carlton Carter), Buffalo-Hunter (Roland Fraterrigo), sunny hill archer (Michael Langahans), T-Bell (Tommy Bell), Larry Surtees, Chris Surtees

Lower row left to right: Wile E. Coyote (Wayne LaBauve), armar911 (Allan Devore), Bowhunter4life (Jeff Berberick), maineac (Michael Stenstrom), Greg Dudley, Terry Green

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2010, 09:50:00 AM »
Views from the famed Killin Tree.....

Memories of the past from The Killin Tree....

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2010, 12:03:00 PM »
I think that is the tree that I took my deer from on the last morning last year Terry. I am almost sure of it. I will look at some pictures when i get home tonight.

The third picture, that large rock in the middle of the road is where he was standing. That is crazy.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2010, 12:16:00 PM »
:thumbsup:     :clapper:
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2010, 01:05:00 PM »
Nope Randy, you were hunting in the west headquarters.  I hunted that tree on the day the wind switched to out of the north with a vengence!  Rodeo ride for sure...

I think Michael hunted the Killin Tree the last morning last year.
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2010, 02:23:00 PM »
Your right Jeff. After looking at some pictures and talking with Terry it was not. However they look a lot alike in how they are set up.

I think every tree at solana could be a killing tree.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2010, 07:52:00 PM »
Here are a couple more shots taken from some of the stands I was in.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2010, 07:53:00 PM »
Shots from another stand.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©