3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: serving on string for nocks  (Read 352 times)

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
serving on string for nocks
« on: January 04, 2010, 05:43:00 PM »
I have the MFX carbons with "GNOCKS" I guess.

They are tight on the string I got from Ron laclair with my bow (think he had it set for woodies) and I don't want to have to use the sandpaper on them (won't be much left I think) and it's wrecking the serving anyway.

Anyway I have a 6 string 450 - what size of serving string do I need for the "g nocks" and if I go back to woodies.

I am about to purchase some from 3 rivers and would like to get the right sizes.

Thanks a bunch

Jer Bear

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: serving on string for nocks
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 07:10:00 PM »
If you sand them out you can serve a nock point above the nock and below.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 07:24:00 PM »
it's gonna be hit and miss to figure out the right serving fiber diameter if ya don't have access to a multiple of serving diameters.  

450 is a large diameter string fiber, so you might do with BCY #2D spectra serving, it's .016".  

with the dyneema'02 i use, i like BCY Halo in .019".  now, this is for a LOOSE fitting nock that won't stay on the string by itself, the way i like it for a spit finger grip.  

if yer string grip is 3 fingers under, you'd hafta build up the nock area with floss to get that very soft snap fit.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »
If you decide to sand, use progressively finer grits of sandpaper as you get close. I normally finish up with 1000 grit, and can't detect abnormal wear on my servings. Some folk suggest dipping them in warm/hot water and tweeking them open a little, but I have not tried that method.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
Thanks everyone - I think I will try the dental floss or something - I can re-serve it and see how it turns out and then go from there.

I see ron serves under in the area the arrow will sit and then does the big serving overtop to fit the larger nocks....maybe I can try the floss over top first to get fit and then do what Ron does after I get a combo.

Thanks

Jer Bear

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 11:31:00 PM »
MFX carbons use a X-nock,when I make up my 6 strand 450+ I double serve it.I first serve it with 1D .017 and then serve over it with No 62 .021,just enough for my nock and fingers.Ths combo gives me a great fit for X-nocks for me.

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 02:17:00 AM »
Thanks bud I will try it

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©