3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: elk at what distance  (Read 890 times)

Offline pumatrax

• Trad Bowhunter
elk at what distance
« on: January 04, 2010, 06:44:00 PM »
Just wondering what the furthest distance is you would shoot at an elk with a traditional bow...for me it would be 25 yards and (hopefully)less...

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: elk at what distance
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 06:47:00 PM »
I've killed elk from 7 paces to 35 yards with a "all natural" longbow.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 07:17:00 PM »
My limit for all living stuff is about 20 yards.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 07:21:00 PM »
My goal is 20 yards and under.  If everything is "just right" might stretch it a bit - last year killed a cow at 25.  Everything just worked out to where I was comfortable with that at the moment.  The next 25 yard encounter might be different though.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Benoli

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 07:25:00 PM »
20 yards is my self imposed limit except Ground squirrels. Them squirrels are just too fun to pass up at longer distances even if it's only to see them jump!
One stick, one string and an arrow I'll fling!

Offline STEVE R.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »
I would go to 25 yards for sure.

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »
Elk are big critters, with big(ger) kill zones and the temptation to stretch your range on them can be high.  Thankfully I've never lost an elk, but I've been on a few track jobs that didn't end well and the ringing similarity in all cases was a "marginal" hit.  

Personally, and bear in mind I've only shot a few, I try to keep my shots low, in the bottom third of the animal.  This shrinks the kill zone for me a bit to where what I'm aiming for is the same size as a deer's kill zone.

If you are really sure your going to put the arrow where you need it, fire away.  If your not certain, hold off.

Offline bowfiend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »
I don't mean to sound flip, but I don't really consider distance "in the moment". I get as close as I can and if I look at the shot and think to myself "dead elk", well then that's a shot I take. I guess that's just my philosophy with any hunting situation - I don't put a distance on it, I just know if I can make the shot or not. That's not to say that I make every shot I take, but I certainly don't say to myself "Uh oh. That's 26 yards and I prefer shots @ 20." I'm fairly conservative in my decision making so I pass up alot more shots than I take.

My experience, though, is that you rarely have time to assess a situation for distance and put a number to it, then debate internally over the number. So I practice to make the shot (whatever the shot is) and then I know when it's time. Does that make any sense?
Is it September yet?!

Offline rappstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
I train for a 40 yard max shot.  But that would have to feel just right.

Offline Pegen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 08:28:00 PM »
20 yards and under, but if I feel reeeeally comfortable for a 20-25 yards shot, I might take it

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »
Killed my first trad animal this year with a 25 yard shot and he took a step before the arrow got there. LONG traking before recovery.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline pumatrax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
For me target "training" is WAY different than shooting at deer or elk...I might (or not) hit a target in the center at 40 yards , but it's not moving, even at close distances under 25 yards , I've had deer and elk dodge a shot..the margin for error is Greatly increased by the distance...what you think "might" be a good shot could become a nightmare...

Offline Mr.Chuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 12:42:00 AM »
I practice 45 yds and down.  I feel very comfortable taking that shot at that distance, considering most things in my favor.   We always want for a closer shot, but we also usually don't get what we want. The size of the animal is a big factor, too.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 12:50:00 AM »
I practice far and hunt close. I have taken elk out to 35 yards. I would much rather have them inside 25 though.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 02:57:00 AM »
my closest was 5yds...i'll shoot out to 35 with the confidence i will hit where i'm lookin.thats broadside or slightly quartered away.anything else i pass on.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 07:16:00 AM »
Pretty much what Bowfiend said.
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 07:28:00 AM »
Taking my skill/comfort level and the bows & arrow set ups I shoot, and the fact that the kill zone on an elk is much larger than a deer sized critter, I would allow myself to take the shot out to 25 yards, given an unobstructed path & stationary broadside elk...

I don't have any doubt I could 10 ring an elk sized critter at 35 yards, but I would be less confident in the penetration I would get...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »
Depend from the circustances,sometime 15 ydrs are too long others 40ys could be good.I practice long and try to shot as close as possible.This was one of the reasons I gave up with the Wheels,shooting too far.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 11:47:00 AM »
Tho I don't hunt elk, I think Bowfiend has it. If it feels right, take it. If not, let it go. No matter how close or far it is. It's kind of trusting your feelings.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
I only confident out to a little over 20 yards. I'm right-handed and left-eye dominant, so I have to keep my shots to that range or less.  I've also passed up shots at much closer range just because "it just wasn't the right shot".
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©