3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Super Kodiak hand shock  (Read 550 times)

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
Super Kodiak hand shock
« on: January 04, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
Just traded for a 03 Super Kodiak and am experiencing what I consider to be more than normal hand shock while shooting targets.
Bow is 50#@28and presuming 55 or so At my 29" draw. Shooting woodies and bamboo arrows weighing in around 600 to 650 gr.
Presently has wool wraps past the string grooves and wool silencers. I've adjusted the brace from 8" gradually up to 8 5/8" with no noticable improvement. Also moved the wool silencers up and down the string a couple of inches.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Fred
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Super Kodiak hand shock
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »
I don't know much about Super K's old or new, but I do know when I shoot a bow now with a dacron string instead of Fast Flite (or similar) it feels shocky to me.

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 09:29:00 PM »
I'm shooting a dacron string that was sent with the bow. I've always thought that the dacron would produce less hand shock than FF?

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 09:52:00 PM »
I have the same poundage Super Kodiak although I think the one I have is three or four years older. Fast/Flight set about 8 1/4 I believe. I only pull 28" but I've never experienced any hand shock. One of the smoothest bows I own.
Jack Shanks

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »
I shoot a '68 Super K 50# and with 510 gr arrows it has virtually no hand shock.  It's a very smooth bow.  Maybe reduce the height to 7 3/4" to see what that does.  Maybe the newer ones are a lot different than the older ones too.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
Curious... how many strands are in the string, and is it Flemish or endless?

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 10:15:00 PM »
Jim, I just unraveled the wool from the ends to check. It appears to be endless, 14 strand.
On further inspection it is flemish and very well made.

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 07:33:00 AM »
I was just informed by the previous owner that the string I've been shooting is FF. Originally he had informed me that he still had the FF string laying around and was looking for it.
I will now try a dacron string and post results.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 08:44:00 AM »
Like Reddogge I shot older Supr Kodiak without any hand shock or noice issues.I have some newer Bear TDs that present the same hand shock sensation of your SK. I think the riser costruction can be a cause and the string material,being FF can increase it.You can cure it in many ways like changing BH and adding silencers,using a heawier arrow ect.You don't need anything of that on the old one.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline EricW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 08:58:00 AM »
Bowferd
I have one about the same year and poundage. Traded it off last summer. Great bow. Shot well. I didn't notice the hand shock. I think I had a dacron string on it when I got rid of it. Started with FF and really didn't notice a difference.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 09:05:00 AM »
Wool wraps and puffs have nothing to do with hand shock, they are for noise reduction. Never heard of a Super K with hand shock but only have shot older ones myself. They are a little noisy and higher brace height helps with that.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »
I had a Kodiak Mag that would rattle your teeth.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline hunterace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 10:13:00 AM »
i just got my first bow, a newer SK(07-08). i never noticed anything but i haven't shot many different kinds/ brands of recurves. mabey mine has hand shock, never noticed anything, if i hit where i'm looking then i'm happy. i would have to be more experienced with shooting other bows to know i would guess.
A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the rights of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the boy as he grew up in the wilderness. He became a skillful archer

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 11:05:00 AM »
I never shot a Bear recurve that had hand shock.  None. I don't know what you fellers are noticing in these bows.  

TJ...how long a draw do you have?  I have shot at least two dozen of those K.Mags over the years and never had one that showed the slightest notion to be shocky.  

Bowferd....I sent you a PM.

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 12:02:00 PM »
If that is the laminated Super-K, I had one.  I did not notice any shock and I had a messed up elbow.  Damn near everything I shot hurt except that Super-K.  I traded it off because I shot very high due to grip angle.  I switched to a K-Mag.  Bill

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 01:18:00 PM »
George, I have a short 26.5" draw.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Hit-or-Miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 06:21:00 PM »
Are you gripping that Bear with a vise like death grip, or just "holding" it with a finger and thumb?

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
Just got in this evening and read all of your responses. Thanks for your input. I have a tender weak Bow shoulder and the shock is enough in the hand to travel up that far.
I've owned and shot LB's, Recurves and Hybrids.
I still have bows in the same weight range. Have had same weight range and a bit higher GN Ghost, Ballistic, Quillian Patriot and Longhunter, RWH's, 54 Compass Kodiak, 57 Kodiak Special, on and on, a lot of bows, and never experienced this before. I've checked the bow over and it is flawless 9.5 . I just can't figure it out.
I'm going to order a new Dacron string from Bearbowman and see if it will cure the problem.
Until then, if anyone has a clue, please let me know.
Fred

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2010, 08:05:00 AM »
Check the tiller.  If it's off that'd cause some shock.

I haven't shot many of the newer SKodiaks, but the ones I have were pleasant (they'd be even nicer if you took a file and reduced the tips down to a reasonable size).
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 09:36:00 AM »
Make sure your brace height is right. Anything under 7 or 7.5 on that bow is too low.
John

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©