3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Big Name Bows  (Read 1294 times)

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Big Name Bows
« on: January 04, 2010, 10:37:00 PM »
Hey guys I have been for a while looking at buying one of the big name higher priced bows such as a black widow, Morrison, tomahawk and so on. In your opinions what is the best all around bow, as far as speed, stability, smoothness, power, and overall performance for this high amount of money, regardless of whether or not it is a recurve or longbow. And if you would like some pics of your bows. Thanks guys.

Online 4 point

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Big Name Bows
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 10:41:00 PM »
Crow Creek Blackfeather

Dale Dye Trails End

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 10:41:00 PM »
Buckeye,

Check out a TallTines.  All the performance and looks of the ones you are looking at(and more!)with a much easier to take price.

Offline redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 10:46:00 PM »
A&H's are hard to beat for speed, but Morrison has the looks and speed. I own both.  :thumbsup:
Larry

Offline ozarkcherrybow1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 10:51:00 PM »
You're going to get responses that are all over the place on this one.  I would suggest that you make it to one of the large events with a lot of vendors. Shoot as many bows as you can before spending the big money on a big name. As much as I love some of the big name bows, I must say that there are as many "smaller" companies making as good of bows, or better! It is all about what fits YOU.
 I will say that the big names have better resale, all about what you're wanting. IMO....Terry

Offline MercilessMing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 10:56:00 PM »
JD Berry Appollo!

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 11:08:00 PM »
A lot of bows fit your description, but its usually not the same bow for everyone. You have to shoot them for yourself, when you find that bow you will know it. Might be a $500 bow, might be a $1500 bow.

Eric

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 11:12:00 PM »
BB,

These guys are right, you should come up to the Traditional Expo East in Kalamazoo, Mi at the end of the month and try all of them out first hand.

Offline SuperSlamChaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 11:31:00 PM »
Schafer Silvertips are my favorite without a doubt!
Schafer Silvertip 90#@28"

Genesis 27:3  Now then, get your weapons--your quiver and bow--and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Online 2ndxarnd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 11:36:00 PM »
Blacktail..............
Take the time to teach a child.

Offline fido dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 11:57:00 PM »
Sometimes a big name bow company ain't so big. Like JV Outback (sorry to keep posting mine, but I'm a big fan). Right Steve!?!? LOL!

I literally can look at this bow and shoot it all day.

A politician who acts foolishly may NOT be acting!

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 07:11:00 AM »
here we go yet again ....

these kinda threads always turn into a subjective, opinionated, crowing contest and serve no purpose whatsoever to anyone ... well, other than looking at purty bow pics.

the ONLY WAY to know what type of stickbow, what manufacturer and what model to buy/shoot/love is by trying as many bows as possible.  there is NO substitute for this strategy.  anything else is a crapshoot.  feeling lucky?  the classifieds are fulla bows from folks that weren't so lucky.

oh well, carry on i s'pose ...........
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline doowop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 08:34:00 AM »
Any bow that my buddie has at the time is the best bow ever made. At least that is what he says.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 08:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by doowop:
Any bow that my buddie has at the time is the best bow ever made. At least that is what he says.
now there ya go - spoken like a true bow nut  :D     :thumbsup:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline riivioristo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 08:46:00 AM »
Hi ! I am a Black Widow advocate...those bows are beautiful tools - but you will have perhaps a different no.1 bow - test different models - you will find your "own" and then you will shoot it with confidence - and that is so important when you shoot a barebow ! You know you make the shot to score you are about to shoot....
You lost your money-you lost nothing, you lost your health-you lost something, you lost your personality-you lost everything...

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 08:53:00 AM »
You live close enough to Kalamazoo to make the trip at the last weekend of January. It is the very best way to test a bunch of the best bows and see what feels right to YOU. BW, Morrison, and many others will be there with not only their great bows but the bowyers themselves. Nothing like it. Don't miss out.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 08:54:00 AM »
You'll have hundreds of different answer,most bows are excellent,you have just to find yours.Try as many boe you can and since you decide buy yourself a used honest bow. This is a Robertson Fatal Styk
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 09:05:00 AM »
I really enjoy my Widows.  I didnt buy them because of the name on the handle, or the price tag. I bought them because of the way they feel, and the way I shoot with them. I'm a believer that ounce you find one that "fits" you..STICK WITH IT, that is why I will never sell any of my Widows...I feel that the only way for me to be consistant in my shooting is  not to keep switching bows.  I have a friend whos bow costs alot less then my Widow costs, and one of  the best shots I know!

As far as preformance is concerned with my Widows versus other bows...I dont really notice any difference.  My friend's bow is equally good, if not better in preformance.( just being honest, dont shoot me Widow guys!)  Good luck in your search, and if you have any questions about Widows please feel free to shoot me a PM, and I will answer them the best I am able.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 09:06:00 AM »
Very few bad bows made, just bows that fit you badly. Make a list of what's important to you from most to least, got to a show/shoot with the list and try everything you can get your hands on. Adjust your list as you go and find what fits you, your budget and style of hunting. You may be surprised by what ends up working best for you.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 09:15:00 AM »
I have owned many of the bows you named as well as other brands. There is no "best bow". The are bows that fit one guy better than another, some that one guy can shoot better than another, but it varies from person to person bow to bow.
The Black Widow retains its resale value better than most. The A&H may be smoother than most, the Morrison and Tomahawk are also very good bows.
There are also a bunch of other very good bows out there, made by some real artists.
Some to consider are, Mike Treadway bows, BlackCreek bows and Big Jim's bows, if you like great quality at an affordable price. The Belcher bows are very good, he now has a very nice metal riser bow. Great Plains bows are as good as any. There are plenty of others I have not listed, but the point is, try before you buy, it will save you some money.
And beware of any bowyer who has reported to have failed to honor their warranty or failed to deliver on bows. There are a few bad apples out there.
Before you buy one shoot as many as you can.
What someone says is their favorite may be your worst.
John

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©