3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Treestand Users-BEWARE!  (Read 819 times)

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
Treestand Users-BEWARE!
« on: January 05, 2010, 12:08:00 AM »
Hey folks- VERY SERIOUS SITUATION HERE     :eek:      

I am a serious LW stand guy.  It is about all I have used for 14+ years.  One stand, sticks, and I am very portable/stealthy.

Had a dangerous thing occur tonight- FIRST TIME EVER!  VERY SERIOUS!!     :scared:      

I attached the stand as usual.  But when I stepped on the stand the strap SLIPPED.  It slipped through the buckle- NOT like it was greased- but enough that the stand gave way.  Fortunately I was in a cedar tree with many limbs that caught the stand and gave me limbs to stand on.     :pray:    

Upon inspection, what I found was that through literally hundreds of sets- the buckle binder (which has rough teeth for binding the strap) was actually dirty with embedded dirt and bark from all the use. (It was not readily noticeable.)  The buckle was unable to bind/grip the strap.

VERY DANGEROUS! When I got home (after shooting a doe I might add!) I pulled the strap out and cleaned the buckle with a wire brush.  It is now good as new!

BEWARE!  Nothing wrong with LW- they are GREAT stands- but even they need maintenance.

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Treestand Users-BEWARE!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 12:33:00 AM »
This year in WI we had a freezing rain.  Had my LW hung while it was going on.  After I wanted to move.  Took it down and up it up in the new spot.  Standing on the second stick I noticed that it wasn't as tight as when I put it up.  I dropped down to the first stick and found the buckle was frozen and would not grip the strap.  Upon examination I found all four buckles would not work the way they were intended.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline JMartin

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 12:47:00 AM »
These kind of stories send chills down my spine. Very dangerous situation.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 01:15:00 AM »
Bowmania- I even wondered about that as well- it is in the single digits here- I wonder if they lose some griping ability when it gets this cold and some moisture gets on the straps. . . no doubt though that my buckle was quite dirty.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline sdpeb1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 02:33:00 AM »
I always use a rachet strap on mine for extra saftey- Steve

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 06:20:00 AM »
Thanks for the warning. Glad you did not fall
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 06:52:00 AM »
I guess some would say that "I am just a fraidycat in my old age" because I won't climb trees any more. I felt the ole pucker factor go up just reading about your episode. I am so very grateful that you are ok. Thank you for passing on what you learned from experience to those who can and will take your advice to heart.

Any fall can spell disaster especially during this period of extreme cold temps brought on by all  this "global warming" we are experiencing.

Thanks for sharing!
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 07:23:00 AM »
Dan,

I'm pretty sure the owners manual says to change the straps annually.  Nobody is going to do that, but the company has covered thier a$$...

Good idea to remind everyone to check their stands, straps, and safety harnesses.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 07:24:00 AM »
You may just want to buy a new strap set every few years and plan this in with your hunting budget

Offline oneshot-onekill

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 07:53:00 AM »
I've never had an issue but....I inspect mine every yr and replace every 2 yrs....Thanks for sharing, very good info for us LW guys....glad you didnt fall!
Proverbs 16:9
TGMM Family of the Bow

Terry Barker

Offline SpikeMaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 08:16:00 AM »
No one should fall out of a tree or treestand if you're wearing your safety harness. Be connected to the tree all the way up, while sitting in the stand, and all the way down. I know it's more convenient not to use it but it could prevent serious injury or death.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 09:57:00 AM »
Thanks for the thoughts. . . I realize buying new ones is for liability but I am not sure this situation is equipment failure (as in: the strap/buckle is broke) rather, it gathered dirt and debris over time.  

As far as attaching all the way up- that is impossible in most trees I go up.  I know IBEP teaches that and I hear guys say it, but I hunt KS where everything is crooked and full of limbs!(Try tying in at the ground in a cedar tree or Osage tree!) I would rather keep two arms/hands (3 point contact) on the tree than removing my grip by messing around with ropes. I do tie onto the tree using a climber's seat when setting the stand and before stepping on.  Funny though, I never see guys tie up when climbing on 8' ladders around the house. . .

Thanks for the input- stay safe

Dan in KS

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »
Glad you were in a situation where you had all the limbs to hold on to Dan.  

As for staying tied in, about the only way you can do it on a tree with lots of limbs is to have two separate tie ropes and when you get to a limb, you hook one above it before you disconnect the one below it as you go up.  My seat of the pants harness uses a heavy rope and prussic knot that would be a bit bulky to pack two of them around but my LW that I just got came with a harness that has a much smaller diameter rope.  I'd seriously consider buying another one just for the reasons we're talking about.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Tom Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
    • BISON GEAR PACKS
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 10:32:00 AM »
Thanks for the info.
BISON GEAR PACKS
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bison%20gear%20packs

TGMM Family of the Bow * PBS * P&Y
 * Massachusetts Bowhunters * NRA
 * Compton Traditional Bowhunters *
 * N.A.H.C. * N.Y.Bowhunters *
  * N.J.Bowhunters *

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 10:34:00 AM »
Replacing the straps every couple of years is a cheap insurance policy! Thanks for the insight though, I will definately be keeping an eye on mine and cleaning the buckle periodically!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 11:37:00 AM »
Glad the tree caught you and that you are OK Dan.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 12:28:00 PM »
I'm with Mudd.  There's no way this old butt is climbing a tree...ever.  Every year people die in treestand failures, or carelessness in their use.  Every year warnings are given, and every year someone doesn't check something, or whatever, and down they go.  And, everyone here probably knows someone who has fallen.

I wonder now why I ever used the darned things.  They are noisy, cold, and potentially dangerous, and I see as many deer while hunting from the ground.  No thanks to any tree stands for this guy.  Glad you were not hurt, by the way....warnings should be heeded.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »
Now I know someone here is going to tell me how silently they can climb a tree.  I will bet, however, that I can hear them from fifty yards away easily, and if I can, so can the critters.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »
I would replace the strap with a racket strap for added insurance.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 01:30:00 PM »
Not the first occurance with LW straps.  Had the same thing happen to myself and have heard of other incidents similar.  I couldn't tell why by looking at my strap.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©