3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need some help choosing my first bow  (Read 428 times)

Offline BigRob

• Trad Bowhunter
Need some help choosing my first bow
« on: January 05, 2010, 04:40:00 AM »
Hello everyone.     :wavey:    

I need some help choosing my first bow.  I've done a bit of research (including on this forum), and I think I've narrowed it down to the Bear Grizzly recurve or the Bear Montana longbow.  They're both about the same price, and are probably the best I can afford at the moment. Which do you think would be better for a beginner?

I don't intend to hunt with it quite yet, though that's the eventual goal.  I'll mostly be target shooting with it for now.  

If it's helpful, my draw length is around 29.5-30" (is there an easy way to measure this?)

Also, what draw weight should I get it in?  I've tried drawing my dad's Kodiak Magnum, which has a #55 draw weight, and I didn't have too much trouble drawing it multiple times.  The only thing is I'm not sure my fingers are quite strong enough - they start quivering if I hold it back for more than a half second.  I could probably handle 60# easily if I strengthen my fingers a bit.  Not sure if the finger thing means I need to go with a lower weight, though; I don't know how big of an issue that is, or how hard it would be to correct.

Thanks for the help.
Jacta alea esto

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need some help choosing my first bow
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 05:00:00 AM »
Hi!
I`ve been shooting both bows and have to say that the Grizzly was at my opinion a better performer. But this is of course my opinion.
Another tip is to check out the classified section here on tradgang and check out other bows as well. There is a lot of very good shooters there and you could do a good deal.(I`ve done several here at the site and never been disappointed, only good experiences  :)  )

When i comes to choose a draw weight with your long draw I would suggest that you pick up something in the low/mid 40`s @ your draw length, and rather learn to shoot well with a good form before you start to pull the heavier pounds. (your shoulders will thank you:D )
You will most certainly buy several other bows later and it is better to learn shooting with a lighter bow, and then increase the weights when you have the training and the confidence to go hunting.
Some of the best 3D shooters out there do shoot bows in the low 40`s.

Hope this helps and good luck  :thumbsup:  

Margly
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 06:59:00 AM »
bigrob, from what you just typed, 55# is beyond yer reach right now and holding weight is very critical for a newbie to trad.  

i'd strongly suggest no more than 45# - which in your case, with a near 30" draw (if that's accurate!) will mean a 40# @ 28" draw weight bow.  i'd also recommend a longer bow, 64" or more.  the montana would be a good choice.

that 45# holding weight will kill lots better than 55# since your accuracy will be so much better.  

overbowing is a waste of time, energy, money, fun - and harvested game.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 07:25:00 AM »
That's good advice right there from Rob!  Number one mistake with people starting out is too heavy of a bow.  45# will give you a chance to learn correctly and is still enough bow to hunt with when you are ready for that.

Also, Margly's tip about checking out the classifieds here was a good one.  If you follow the path of most, your first bow won't be your last.  If you buy a used bow from the classifieds you will eventually be able to get most if not all of your money back out of it when you are ready to change.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 07:41:00 AM »
If you have been shooting compounds up to this point, two very good rules of thumb apply...

#1, your draw with a Trad bow will likely be a good inch shorter than it is shooting compound & release.

#2, whatever draw weight you are comfortable shooting (I stress comfortable shooting as in shooting repeatedly, not the most you can draw!) with a compound, subtract a good 10 or better yet, 15 lbs off that for your first Trad Bow.

I'm an oddball in that I draw 28.5 with both compound and Trad, but I purposely shoot a  compound with a slightly short draw.  My natural draw to comfortable anchor with a compound & release is a shade over 29".

I set up all my compounds to be comfortable shooters for me, which is 60-63#.  My recurves are all 52-55# at my 28.5" draw.  I find 52-53# to be just about right for extended comfortable shooting.

As far as what you can afford, I highly recommend you peruse the Classifieds here on Trad Gang, before buying over the counter.  We Trad guys try, sell, and trade bows constantly looking for the perfect one for us, and you can often pick up a lot more bow than you could afford over the counter at a very fair price hereabouts.  I personally have bought, traded, and sold several getting to the 1/2 dozen that seem to be my more or less permanent line up.

For your general do everything, easiest to shoot, most forgiving first bow, it's tough to beat a 60" recurve.  Generally speaking all but the longest draws can shoot a 60" bow comfortably, and there are lots of good recurves of that length to choose from.  As you gain experience and get a better idea what you personally need/want, you might find yourself trying shorter or longer stuff.  I personally favor 58"-60" recurves for all my hunting.

BTW, interesting you said "first" trad bow, as if you are like the rest of us as a rule you will have a number on hand before too long.

Good luck, good shooting, and welcome to the club.  We don't have jackets...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline BigRob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 08:31:00 AM »
ND:  It will be my first real bow, period.  :)  I had some friends who did a lot of bow hunting with compounds, but compounds never really interested me that much. Most of my previous hunting experience is with rifles and shotguns.

The method I was using to measure draw length is the one used by compound bow users (the armspan/2.5 method), though. So I guess that means my draw length is closer to 28.5 or 29"?    :confused:

How do you measure that?

I'll definitely look into a lower draw weight, though.  Sounds like the consensus is around #45?

BTW, interesting you said "first" trad bow, as if you are like the rest of us as a rule you will have a number on hand before too long.  
I have no delusions as to whether or not it will be my only bow.   ;)  The only question will be when I would have enough money to buy another. I also collect firearms, telescopes, and computer equipment, so I already have a few expensive hobbies competing for my money.  Doesn't help that I'm a college student, either, so I'm a bit low on cash.  I manage to scrape together enough for one or two "big" purchases a year, and this looks like it will be my first big one for this year...
Jacta alea esto

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 08:54:00 AM »
there are lotsa valid ways to identify yer draw length, though as a newbie it might change a tad as you come to understand how your physique settles in to a good and consistent form, and your muscles become conditioned to the holding weight load.  

make no mistake, like bowling, golf and lawn darts, archery is a free form aiming sport. your form is the cornerstone of your accuracy.  if you can't hold good form due to overbowing, yer at a huge disadvantage you may never recover from ...

borrow a really really light stickbow - 20#-25# or so - get a full length arrow shaft with nock (or a dowel with a nock glued to the back end), put a spring clothespin on the shaft about 26" from the nock end, stand tall and erect and at least emulate what it's like drawing back a stickbow, grip the bow by the riser and string, pull back smoothly.  

as you feel your shoulders begin to impart the load of the drawn limbs to your upper back muscles the clothespin will hit the riser (or yer fingers) and slide forward.  

doing this in front of a mirror helps to see just what yer form looks like.  let down slowly and measure the distance from the groove of the nock the clothespin.  that'd be a good idea of yer draw length - though that WILL change as the drawn weight increases due to muscles that aren't yet conditioned to accept that load.

i can not emphasize how important it is to start off archery of any kind with a light holding weight bow.  this is the cornerstone of learning to shoot properly, consistently and accurately.  yes, you will go up in holding weight.  you will acquire another bow(s).  hold on to the light bow, you will come back to it for form work or rehab (ouch!).  as mentioned, a used bow is almost always the way to go, but a light holding weight bow may be a tad harder to find.

yes indeed, cast the die!  :D

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline riivioristo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 08:54:00 AM »
Hi !

I dont want to be a bad sport, but if you mean new Bear bows, I would doubt a bit with those...my two cents here is you spend that money here with someone of this tribe and buy a old Bear or a Black Widow in 50# range...what I ve been shooting new Bears lately, those have been too expensive to the performance they deliver...dont want to hurt any feelings here - just my opinion  ;)
You lost your money-you lost nothing, you lost your health-you lost something, you lost your personality-you lost everything...

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »
Check out sponsor from the drop down list at the top of the page - My First Bow. Ghost Dog will ask the right questions and lead you to an good choice.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 09:16:00 AM »
You can get a brand new Maddog from Mike on here and get a true custom with great customer service for less money than a new Bear. The classifieds here are an excellent place to get the most bang for your buck also, lots of almost new bows for half price or less lately.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline highelk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »
Big Rob.
For me, I went a pro shop that specialized in trad archery. They let me shoot several bows until I found a weight that was comfortable for me. then that allowed me to find a deal within that weight class. I don't know if you have one close to you but it would probably be worth the road trip to get you going. They can also help you with your draw length check form etc..
also for me I was shooting right handed and struggling with accuracy to the point of giving up for about 2 years until i read about Eye dominance. I determined that i am left eye dominant. so I switched to left about to months ago and now everything is improving. It has become more fun and accuracy is coming together now.
Just my thoughts.
There is a wealth of info on this site and most of these guys can give better ideas than me.
This is sooooo much fun now. I wish I would've started shooting a long long time ago.
Enjoy the ride, Chad  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person."~Fred Bear~

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »
BigRob, if you haven't shot compounds, this will be a lot easier for you.  I started with recurves back in the 60's, back before compounds existed, shot compounds through the 80's-90's, and got back into Trad in early 2000.

Although nowdays I primarily shoot Trad, I also to a much lesser extent shoot compound barebow/fingers and compound sights/release.  To be honest, picking up & shooting a compound, even barebow/fingers, feels passionless & mechanical to me.

Admin Rob D. is wise, as is his advice.  Heed it...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Eric Sprick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 04:25:00 PM »
It has been mentioned several times in this thread but it is very important to start at a lighter weight, maybe used bow.  I started out about 25 years ago with a 50#, I wish it would have been 40#.  Eric.

p.s. Have FUN!

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 06:02:00 PM »
You might want to consider a light weight 3pc Take-Down bow to start. Then when you are ready to move-up you only have to get heavier limbs. Look here in the classifieds for a nice used one, or there are good new ones for decent prices. I have a Samick Red Stag TD Recurve I use for form practice, she shoots nice, and was around $200 new. I hear Quinn is also a great bow.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »
All good advice here. Listen to Rob, and be patient a great deal will come along on the classifieds it happens every day.  I had to have many bows on the classifieds missed the sale and felt like I would never see such a great deal again until he next day or week.  be patient do some home work ask a lot of questions and visit a trad archery shop you'll get there.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Dean Lintz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 07:37:00 PM »
I started shooting trad last Feb. I had always shot 70# compounds. Started with 55# trad bow I never got consistant with that bow. Dropped down to 40# bow got control of bow built muscle and confidence. That was 11 months ago my shooting buddies say I got bit bag as I have 5 bows now 3 were custom built.

Offline greenmtns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
i would find a traditional shop or bowyer to help you select the correct # and this way you could feel out some bows.but both bows will be great choices and kill anything walking.

Offline americanhunter7

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 11:47:00 PM »
I too am new to Trad, and I will say this. I have shot compounds at 55-70#, and in no way is it like shooting a Trad self, long or recurve bow, so be prepared to shoot less than you think you can. I started off with a #55@20" self bow, and wow was that a BIG mistake! I had all kinds of problems...I have switched to a lighter bow and am looking at, (as many have said), buying yet one or two used bows from fellow Tradganger's. The good thing about that, for the most part is that most of the TG's in here have taken very good care of their equipment and will give you a chance at finding a really nice used bow for a reasonable price. Good luck and happy hunting!
John         :campfire:        

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2010, 12:11:00 AM »
BigRob,you have some very good bowyers in your state.Blacktail,Fox,ect.See if they can help you get set up right.As you have read here many times the right bow is a must.I may have a shop bow that would fit you.It would be best if you could go to a pro in your state and get set up with your first bow.Nothing wrong with archery shops but most dont know alot about tradional archery.A bowyer or a trad archery shop would be better.But if i can help you just let me know.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©