3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ILF questions  (Read 819 times)

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
ILF questions
« on: January 05, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »
I have about talked myself into trying a ILF recurve.  I can't deciede on limbs and a riser.  Here is what I am thinking I want;
1.  don't care if it is wood or metal, but want a medium recurve grip - made of wood.  
2.  I will try an elevated rest, but want to go back to a rug rest if I don't like it.
3.  I want good limbs, and will go to great limbs if I like the bow setup.   I don't want K Mart limbs and not give the bow a chance because I went cheap on limbs.
4.  not at all interested in fancy woods.
5.  I shoot recurves in the 56 to 58 inch range, thinking of staying in the range, but might go to 60".
6.  I am not anti sight or stabilizer, but won't start with them.
7.  bow will be tried on 3D and hunting, if I like it.
8.  I don't want to invest big bucks to start, but want a good bow - if that makes sense.  

OK, boys and girls, give me some recomendations.
Mel Riley

Offline artifaker1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ILF questions
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »
One realization that I came to with plunger buttons is they are very acurate, but I couldn't switch between all my different arrows quickly without adjusting the plunger settings.
When I was up hunting this last season, I found that after I was up there for a while a started to tire and I shot arrows with a light spine better than the ones that I intended to use. Shooting off the shelf just makes things simpler, and I don't break anywhere near as many arrows shooting target. But I find using the BW system of having the parallax channel makes the shelf capable of impressive accuracy. And as long as the arrows are spined close, you can shoot all different arrows out of your quiver when hunting with stump arrows. Half the arrows I have with me when elk hunting are stump arrows for small game.
Love is fleeting; stone tools are forever

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 10:26:00 AM »
OK same song but a different verse. I wouldn't mind trying it in a longbow and I am positive I don't want anything in metal in my hands. Like you said, it doesn't need to be pretty but functional and strong.
I hope you don't mind if I'm tagging in on your thread. If it's a problem just say so and I can start somewhere else.
Thanks in advance!
For any who might be posting to help please be clear if you're speaking of a recurve or longbow so I won't confuse myself.
Thanks again.
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 10:32:00 AM »
Jump in here Mudd!!!   And I also can see me trying longbow limbs someday if I like the system.   I just like the thought of changing draw weights and adjusting the bow to suite the situation.   Another question, are you guys shooting flemish or endless loop strings on your ILFs?
Mel Riley

Offline nurayb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »
I just bought a Tradtech Onyx this fall and really like it.  I found a cheap pair of used KAP limbs from a Tradganger and they perform really well.  They are mediums and make a 58" bow.  I can't wait to see what some high performance limbs can do.  It is a neat little set up and I really like how you can adjust tiller and center shot.

Offline artifaker1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
I'm making my own 10 strand padded to 20 8125 Flemish strings for most of all my bows.
Right now I just have three sets of ILF Carbon Foam Long Bow limbs. I do want to try some recurve limbs too. I'm getting stunning performance, to say the least. I have a set of 46@28lb long bow limbs that are gapping at 60 yards with a 12 grains per pound arrow. 31 1/4 340 with 300 grains up front. That is with a corner of the mouth split finger hold. About a 30 inch draw on that.
Love is fleeting; stone tools are forever

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 10:57:00 AM »
The best use of the adjustment bolts on ILF bows is not to adjust draw weight.You are only going to get about 5% up and 5% down anyway.The adjustment bolts are to set the preload of the limbs by adjusting the limb pocket angle.Adjusting the preload allows for the best performance at a certain draw length.

Even with the adjustments you still have to consider your draw length when selecting limbs.A guy drawing 30" or more still doesn't need to be shooting a 58" bow IMHO.Maby some of the ultra short and deflexed newer risers will allow that but still not the best situation IMHO.

The preload really shines for the 25"-27" draw guys.They can usually get more performance than from bows designed to handle a wider range of draw lengths.

Whatever you choose I suggest Winex limbs for all but the extreme long draw.My research suggests the Samick Masters may be a little better for the longer draw guys.

I don't think you will get the full benefit from these bows unless you go to a stiff metal riser.We are still only talking about small percentages and any cut in stiffness affects thoes very small percentages.

Even with a wood riser you still have the limb availibity options enjoyed by the ILF system so if pretty is tops just get something you like.

Offline z-man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 11:12:00 AM »
I have been shooting a Tradtech Pinnacle with the standard recurve 50# wood/glass limbs for a couple of years now, and have been very happy. I was exactly where you were. If you were to look at my wants in a bow it would have looked exactly like yours. I went with an ILF bow as well so I could upgrade the limbs or buy different # limbs on down the road. I am shooting off the shelf and getting good results. I drilled the riser to put on a kwikee quiver bracket, I never would have thought about doing that to a high $ custom bow. Take a look around there are plenty of ILF's on the market now. I mainly use flemish strings on my bow, probably because I enjoy making them more. Good luck in your search.
Eric

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 11:18:00 AM »
Number 2, the elevated rest option is the issue with me.
I have a Hoyt Excel that for all of the above requests it can handle it. You can shoot  from an elevated rest, use whatever ILF limbs you want, use a Hoyt wood grip, BUT to shoot it off the shelf , because of the depth of the riser, you will need to build it up. It's the big reason for off the shelf ILF risers I would choose the Morrison. He did at one point have a metal riser that looked like a real winner. But unfortunately he does not seem to make it anymore. Dang it, I wanted one.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Pluck Yew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 11:30:00 AM »
http://www.skyarchery.com/  Jim Belcher...

Shawn...
Give 'em the bird!

Offline smoked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 12:10:00 PM »
Since you like shorter bows, a 17" riser with short limbs will give you a 58" bow. I draw 29" and have no problems with that setup. While the ilf system does allow some weight adjustment, for me it is more of being able to find the correct tiller for my taste. Remember most ilf limbs are scaled for a 25" riser, you will gain 1 pound for every inch your riser is shorter. My favorite limb that won't break the bank is the Samick Universal Carbon wood. They run about $180 but they do have all the target graphics on them. The TT Black max limbs are the same ones from my understanding, just void of the graphics for $220.

Offline smoked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 12:12:00 PM »
I should add the TradTech limbs are scaled for 17 or 19 inch risers, depending on model.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
Mel,

See if you can find a Morrison ILF. It can do anything you are talking about except perhaps meet your price objective. Maybe you can find a used one at a price that you like. One thing I can just about guarantee is that if you have ever shot any Morrison bow and like it, you will also like the ILF with similar limbs -- either longbow or recurve (or both).

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
I know  you don't want to spend a lot of money but this the Border's new wood ILF riser. Cost a bit but is bombproof and  by all reports the HEX 5 limbs are the "world's best" ILF hunting limbs.

The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Gene Charbonneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »
How about  $498 for a bow/limbs!
Good stuff as well.

Trad Tech 15” Black Onyx Riser  $279
Black Max CarbonWood Limbs  $219

Makes for a 56-60” bow with the short/med/long limbs

Riser is Black Phenolic with wood accents
Std ILF connections
Made to shoot of shelf (Or stick on rest, no burger button hole)

Limbs are all black, in color, and carbon over maple core

I just got this very same setup.  It’s in the mail.

Did a lot of research, best bang for buck, and both the riser and especially the limbs have a very high approval rating on the forums.  Lot of folks are saying these limbs are as good as others costing twice the price.

For another $50 you can get basically the same riser, but with more wood.

The Recon  $329

}}}==Gene-O==>(X)

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 12:22:00 PM »
Gene, that is just the setup that I was thinking about.  They are out of the Onyx riser in righthand, and won't be getting any more.
Mel Riley

Offline Gene Charbonneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 12:40:00 PM »
Mel

I was lucky enough to find a riser used from a fellow trad-ganger.

I haven't gotten a confirmation email back yet from Trad Tech on the limbs.  I ordered yesterday.  They are real popular right now.  If they are back-ordered, I sure will wait.

Good luck in your search.
}}}==Gene-O==>(X)

Offline James on laptop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »
To get the most from it I would stick with a metal riser.They have more centershot,the grips are interchangable ect so you have more options.The wood risers look good are more like shooting a regular recurve.No holes for rest/plungers,not drilled for quivers,mounts ect and just not as ridged as the real thing.Unless you have a long draw mid priced limbs will get you very close in performance to the most costly limbs out there.If you shoot heavier arrows you can count on one hand the speed difference in a $150 set of limbs and a $700 set.There will be about two hands difference if you want to shoot light arrows however. :)  jmho

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 01:37:00 PM »
Given what you're looking for, you may want to take a look at a TradTech Titan riser with short Black Max limbs. You can get the riser with a low-, medium-, or high-wrist wood grip.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »
Sky Archery, 3Rivers, Morrison and Dryad are all sponcers here who offer ILF setup's.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©