3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kalamazoo Expo Questions  (Read 933 times)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Kalamazoo Expo Questions
« on: January 05, 2010, 01:06:00 PM »
Hey everyone! My buddy and I are going to the K-zoo show later this month. We've never been to it before. I would like to try out a few bows. What is expected? Do most vendors have some arrows to shoot on their bow or do have to bring your own? Do the bowyers let you shoot the bows only if you are quite certain you'll buy it? I don't have a "test pack" of arrows. Just some set up for the 1 bow I shoot. They'll probably not shoot well from many of the bows I'm interested in. I suppose I'll get a feel of the bow itself even if the arrow flies badly. Also, is it considered normal or "ok" to go around pulling back bows just to feel them? Anyway, just curious how the whole thing works. Thanks everyone!! Maybe I'll see some of you there!   :archer:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kalamazoo Expo Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 01:18:00 PM »
Get there early Friday if you want to test bows.  Saturday it gets CROWDED.  Many bowyers have arrows to go with the bows, but I would bring my own.  Do not worry about being pressured to buy a bow becasuse you test it...good people are set up at Kzoo.

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »
Unless you are planning on jumping way up or way down in weight, your arrows you have now will fly good enough out of most bows especially at the short shot distance at KZoo, to see how a bow shoots.  That said, most of the bowyers there will have some arrows to try with their bows, but you may have to wait your turn to use them. I usually take 3 arrows of my own with me.  Either way, I would bring my tab or glove for sure.
  As far as if they will let you shoot them, all of the folks that I have ever met there was more than happy to let me shoot their bows, even if I wasn't standing there with bow buying cash in hand(joke).  Everyone is usually Very friendly and willing to answer all your questions or let you try out their wares.  You will have a great time!

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 01:23:00 PM »
Most if not all vendors will have arrows for you to shoot with their bows. Bring your shooting glove or tab and you will be set! It is a great show. Saturday will be packed with people. Friday evening is a great time to get there and shoot some bows. The lines to the range are small.
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »
As for drawing a bow, just ask first.  I don't think anyone would say no, but it is polite to ask first.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 01:45:00 PM »
Just bring you arm guard if you need one, tab or glove.  You will be set.  That is all I had last year.  This year I will have arrows.  Like said above, if you shoot bows in your normal range you will be fine with your arrows.  I will also bring some points this year just to adjust for some things like trying a little more or less weight then i shoot.  Maybe make a change for shooting something cut a little farther from center than I typically shoot.  

They will want your ID if you shoot a shrew and they don't know you.  Other than that I shot bow after bow.  Everyone was great.

I shot everything I wanted last year.  I have a whole new list for this year and a few to shoot again from last year.  It was a lot of fun.  I can't wait.

Oh and Friday is not the best time to be there.  "[dntthnk]"    You will miss everyone.  I wish people would stop saying Friday is the best time to go.   :mad:   It will just slow me down.
  ;)
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline mater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 01:46:00 PM »
They made me take my arrows to my truck be cause guys were geting poked in the eyes from arrows in quivers. I saw other people carring arrows, but thats my experiance.  Mark

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »
If you and the bowyer don't have the right arrows, come by the Feathered Shaft booth.  I'll have a bunch of test arrows that you can use.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Junglecat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 05:37:00 PM »
I know there is supposed to be a vendor there that will sell your used bow for you if you leave it with him.I think he sells it on commission.How does this procedure work? Anyone know how much he charges or what percentage of the sell price he charges?
Bear Grizzly 58"        38 lbs@29"
Black Widow PCH III 60" 44 lb@29"
Black Widow PLX 62"     45 lb@28"
Kentuckian Flatbow  60" 55 lb@28"

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 06:18:00 PM »
There will be a 8yd shooting range(roughly). There will also be TONS of bowyers and more bows. I highly recommend going and shooting as many different bows as possible. You will not be dissappointed! It is one of those shows where you can try MANY bows side by side and compare. You should come out knowing exactly what grip and bow design you like(if you currently have any questions).

Make sure to try some of the bowyers you don't recognize, they might suprise you! I was shocked that I tried and liked a bow from several lesser known bowyers. I prefer my bow to most of the higher priced bows(not that there is anything wrong with any of the others).

Just my 2 cents,
-Charlie

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 07:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Junglecat:
I know there is supposed to be a vendor there that will sell your used bow for you if you leave it with him.I think he sells it on commission.How does this procedure work? Anyone know how much he charges or what percentage of the sell price he charges?
Lonnie Collins is the guy, his booth is usually at the entrance. He's a good guy!
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Dan Spiece

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 07:20:00 PM »
Lonnie will help you out! One of the good guy's

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 07:31:00 PM »
I'd carry in 3-4 of your own arrows and bring a few different weight tips. I was kind of suprised at the lack of arrow selection bowyers provide to prospective buyers.
Not that it's a duty to provide an arrow selection, it's just smart business IMHO.
It's harder to sell a guy a guy with a mis-spined arrow that flies poorly. If an arrow flies like a rainbow, a guy is far more apt to buy or order.

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
The main thing I would suggest bringing is YOUR TAB or GLOVE.Whatever you are use to shooting with.I would say,it is helpful if you bring arrows you are use to shooting.Nearly all of us have arrows to shoot when trying out a bow.However I have been shooting a 620 grain arrow out of a 52 pound longbow.If I hand you a 620 grain arrow to shoot, and you are use to a 450 grain arrow,well you are going to think that the 52# carbon and foam longbow is a real turd.
Know what I mean?
Bill

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
Bill

Zipper and Turd dont belong in the same sentence!  :D    ;)  Those zippers are nice and will throw an arrow hard....even for you heavy foc arrow shooters!

Offline scbowhnter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 07:53:00 PM »
I made the trek from balmy SC last year for this show and it was the best idea I had all year. Had a blast...and spent way more money than I should have.

Everyone I met or shot with it or asked to try something was super friendly. It really was worth the effort and if I didn't have a conflict this year I would be back for sure.
CJ

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by zipper bowss:
If I hand you a 620 grain arrow to shoot, and you are use to a 450 grain arrow,well you are going to think that the 52# carbon and foam longbow is a real turd.
Know what I mean?
Bill
:biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »
Where can I get the exact dates and directions for this event?  I'm only about 3 hours south of Kalamazoo so I'd really like to go to this.

thanks,
Ken
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 08:30:00 PM »
I can give you easy general directions:
 131 to 94 East, get off at the Wings Stadium exit. Take a left, go past Denny's and keep driving till you see the Gordon Food Service store.  Take a left there, it will be a divided highway/road. Look for the  Kalamazoo Fairground signs.
 You could Mapquest it too.
 Jan 29-31st.

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 09:17:00 PM »
Thanks Arwin, sounds pretty easy to get to.
I plan on being there if the weather permits.  I just told my wife that going will be my early birthday present, but I have a feeling I will end up with another present before I leave.  ;)
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©